1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Exercise and Age

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I’m getting older, early sixties, so I’ve toned down my exercise regimen.

I do the regular Marine Corps workout now, instead of the crazy stuff that I used to do.

I also limit my maximum distance to 10K. I just don’t want to do marathon distance or anything more than 10K anymore.

I get tempted sometimes, but then say, “Ah, to hell with it. I’m retired now.”

Did you lose your enthusiasm for extreme exercise routines when you started getting to a certain age?

I think that I started not wanting to get too excessive around age 56, and my enthusiasm slowly tapered down to my present routine, to which I say, “Good enough”.

Bill Sheehan and Tommy Biggs like this.
  2. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

I'm 56 and try to go to the gym 2-3 times a week. I focus on core, strength, and flexibility. This helps to stave off a multitude of minor ailments.

I also cycle about 100 miles a week and try to get out for walks. Still do a few 100 mile rides per year.

I listen to my body and try to eat right and allow for recovery.

Really missing the gym right now.

Steerforth likes this.
  3. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

My motto is " no pain, good." don't overdo it. At 66, one pulled muscle is a month or 2 to heal.

4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

exercise is a must in life for me. Been training in 2 areas since mid 70's. Keep that skeleton supported with muscle & things are able to be done as you age. After all these years..it's not to fight anymore..but to just stay healthy. Kinda weird to know you aren't the same as young. remember reading once..stay sedentary..ya tend to stay that way. I figure keep staying in shape but not to the overkill of facing an opponent. I enjoy chopping wood & having challenging things to do. Some satisfaction you get from a work tired. Great sleep everynight ..then up at it again.

Steerforth likes this.
  5. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

3 yrs ago I had a heart valve replaced and upped my regimen. I never did much beyond walking and weights and cals but I'm not an ex marine. Just a pro player going soft. I admire your fortitude. I wish jumping around on a stage was as aerobic.
    Good to slow down though. Enjoy the rest of your time here.

Ricky D. and Steerforth like this.
  6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

52 years old.
    I no longer lift heavy.
    I’ve lowered weight and increased reps.
    I don’t jog nearly as far or as often. I like my bike.

Engine Swap and Steerforth like this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm probably fine compared to most early 60s guys. I've added stretch and yoga type stuff to help with agility. I'm not a go to gym type. I do MTB riding, skiing, and trail building or trail grooming. I walk or hike when not doing more fun stuff.

It does seem like keeping mental and physical agility have become a job. Like you have trouble of you don't do that job.

Steerforth likes this.
  8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

68 I hit the GYM 4 t0 5 times a week for at least a minimum of 45 minutes. I just got started back last week the GYM been closed because of some germ going around I could feel that 2 1/2 month break. Exercise is really important to keep up when you get older for physical and mental health just remember your not 30 anymore.

Steerforth likes this.
  9. Steerforth

Yeah, the reason I keep doing it is because if I don’t keep exercising some and be careful of what I eat, after a while my blood sugar begins creeping upward.

As long as I exercise and eat sensibly, everything is fine and I don’t have to take any medicine. But if I lay off for very long, the sugar starts creeping upward into the warning zone.

My Dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around my age. He completely defeated it and never had to take medicine. He lived to a ripe old age. I’m very much like him in all ways, so I guess it’s my turn now.

But I’d rather keep on with the exercise and eating well than take medicine.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Me neither.
    I keep this handy
    [​IMG]

...as a reminder that if I'm not going to use equipment that's as convenient as a walk to the youngest son's old room (in my house), I'm not going to likely get any value out of a gym membership :p

imwjl and nojazzhere like this.
  11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I am over 64 and do my 44min mellow workout every day
    except Sun

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

There is little I seem to be able to do, but I should do more. With RA and other Arthritis, it's hard to do anything that involves repetitive motion. I would love a treadmill or running, but no way I can do weight bearing and repetitive motion. Knees, ankles and hips are gone. It hurts more than it helps.
    I need to do back strengthening work though.

BTW, two people I knew (in their 60's) died doing the exercise their doctor wanted them to do. One in the swimming pool.

P Thought and nojazzhere like this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

What the heck did I just read? You're in your sixties and doing a regular Marine corps workout, and a 10k run? What are you, superhuman? I'm 53 and it's a struggle for me to run to the bathroom when I have diarrhea.

g-Paul, Calmac69, OldDude2 and 3 others like this.
  15. Steerforth

Well, I’m retired military, so I’ve been exercising every day since I was young, plus I worked hard and played hard as a kid.

But I always dreamed of taking life easy when I retired.

Unfortunately, that’s not in the cards. I had to take a break because I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever a while back. I think the layoff affected me worse than the disease.

Every time that I try to take life easy, my body takes revenge. As long as I keep going, all is well. I think my system adapted to the life and now won’t let me quit.

16. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

65 years-old. I can walk for hours with no problem and since I was made redundant last September I do 25 kilometre exercise bike rides three or four times a week. A good way of losing weight as well as keeping fit. I've taken to watching Breaking Bad on Netflix at the same time so I don't even notice the effort. :cool:

Steerforth likes this.
  17. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

I run intervals (sprints + walking) at the local track usually 4x per week. 2 miles total in a normal day. I start out with a longer/slower run (200m), then work up to short all-out sprints (100m, then 50m). Seems to work ok for me. I can run a 200m in 26sec; and a 100m in 12-12.5sec.

When other people ask my age and I tell them 58, I often get accused of lying or similar expressions of disbelief. The local track clubs keep trying to sign me up, but I haven't done it yet.

Edit: the above always preceded by a rigorous and constant 10-15 minutes of stretching exercises < that, has been the key for me.

Steerforth likes this.
  18. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

I am 63 and still do Marathons. I qualified for and ran in the last 2 Boston Marathons and was accepted, and in, this year, but - you know - stupid covid-19. I guess I'm qualified for next year but who knows what the actual cutoff will be.

I think my marathon racing is winding down. But I absolutely love the half so I'll keep at it for a while. Also do the occasional 5 and 10 k.

Base training is 30 miles a week. I'll get up to 50 miles a week during the build up to a race.

Steerforth and Big_Bend like this.
  19. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

I had a great, very intense calisthenic workout with a group of university athletes last Saturday.
    The next few days I was so sore I couldn’t even turn in bed without back pains. Feel fine today.
    I figure it will take a few more sessions to get my body used to that level of exertion again.
    During the lockdown I did some strength training and stationary bike, but that apparently wasn’t
    enough to maintain my condition.

Steerforth likes this.
  20. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

was getting to the gym 3-4 times a week before the plague, don't know when it'll feel safe to go back, might be a while. I've been walking in the hills every day since this started, try to get in 3-5 miles a day & 400-1200 feet of elevation. Definitely a sanity saver. When I get on my mountain bike, though, I can really feel how much strength I've lost in my core.

Steerforth likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.