1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Excited about the new M1 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Apr 20, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

I stopped being an early adopter long ago so I will wait for a while to purchase but one of these is definitely in my future.

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    just read about it.

YES!

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  3. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ll probably order on April 30th...I’m currently rockin a mid-2012 model and have been holding out for the M1 version.

tintag27 and Buckocaster51 like this.
  4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Is that an all in one model?

I don't know Macs.

5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Yes

6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I really like the new design and the addition of color. Based on the initial reviews from the first batch of Macs using the M1 chip the new Apple Silicon performs very well.

I've got a relatively current 2018 MB Pro so I'm set for a while, but I could see getting a Mac mini for my basement studio in a year or so when third party developers have fully transitioned to Apple Silicon.

Drew617 likes this.
  7. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

My trusty 2012 quad core Mac Mini is showing its age. One of these might be in my future.

8. burntfrijoles

Same here but I want a desktop. I will probably give my MBP to my daughter or trade it. Apple’s trade-in program is pretty decent.

9. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I’m a Mac/iPad user. I’m am Apple stock holder. I’m a fan. Having said that, my response to “It’s out thinnest iMac ever,” is “So. Who asked for that? What’s the obsession with thin at Apple? I don’t need to wedge it between anything while not actively using it.”

Akkorn, TeleCarlos, Bill B and 3 others like this.
  10. burntfrijoles

Functionality, design aesthetics, weight, space and why would you make it thicker?
    It seems to me that folks who want an all-in-one desktop want the most compact design possible. It certainly gives the more possibilities in designing their work space. It probably contributes to the weight reduction which contributes to the display’s balance on the redesigned stand.
    I really don’t care about the colors but some folks will. It certainly makes things less boring!

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Does this have everything built into the screen body rather than having a separate box for the CPU? My son had an older iMac with everything built into the back, and the graphics chip overheated and died. This apparently was a common issue-- hard to dissipate all that heat with the design. I like aesthetics, but not at the cost of functionality.

getbent likes this.
  12. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

That's not a common issue w/ iMacs. I've owned many. Rocking a 2017 27" currently.

Bill B, BramptonRob1958 and Torren61 like this.
  13. burntfrijoles

Ive owned two modern era iMacs and neither had that problem. I know quite a few iMac users and never heard of this. I don’t they could sell the number they do if this was common.

tintag27 likes this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The M1 aka new or ARM or SOC (system on a chip) systems don't require space and cooling the way earlier models did. There's no longer the need to store a larger spindle type drive in the system.

The obsession with thin is just nice or functional design but also materials and freight costs matter. If you're a stock holder you might find their efforts to recycle interesting. That drives some materials choices.

The M1 is great for what most people do. My wife's Intel chip laptop was totally unhappy after the keyboard was used to filter hot tea. Her M1 replacement gets incredible battery life by comparison. I don't want to have a smaller iMac than my 27" Retina so hope the next generation of M laptops arrive soon.

@chris m. I doubt you'll sense much heat at all with M models, and am not so sure about the heat as a common problem in the context of how many years I've been deploying so many iMac models. When Apple has had booboos they've been pretty much best of the personal computer makers about fixes and extending warranties.

With all the considerations I have to do deploying stuff at scale, I can only fault M type Macs for not yet having Intel style virtualization and not that many users need to do that. My need for that keeps dropping as other programs and systems change or get better. I still depend on Intel for servers though.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Pretty common, but a while back. The earlier unibody designs, the G5 PowerPC and early x86 models ran hot.

I'm using an M1 MacBook Air that just arrived last week. Assuming it is reliable for ~5 years, the M1s have to be the best Apple values available in a long time. Performance and battery are leaps and bounds better than my 2017 MBP, at $1200 (I paid for 16GB RAM.) The Air is fanless and doesn't even get warm. Similar components should do just fine in the iMac case.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My main computer is a 2011 iMac - my backup iMac is even older than that!
    I use them everyday for my professional graphics and 3D work, and my hobby photography and music writing.
    I've never had a problem with overheating. I'm not an Apple evangelist I need computers that are the best for what I want to do - they just work.

17. chris m.

Yeah, I use PCs for work and have an older Mac PowerBook for personal use. What I liked best is how easy it was to configure and work with Reaper. The only bummer is I "upgraded" to Big Sur hoping it would address a glitch, but the glitch was unrelated. And now my machine is a bit slow on Big Sur compared to Catalina.

I think a new Mac for personal use is in my future. I'm kind of torn between the iMac with a big screen vs the Powerbook for portability. Although at just 8 lbs and given how rarely I actually take my Mac out of my house I could see going with the iMac and just packing it up and bringing it with me when I want to go somewhere. Can't watch movies with it on the plane, or even bring it on a plane, I guess. I didn't see the detailed specs on the website but I imagine that to get the same amount of RAM on a Mac PowerBook as you get standard on an iMac there's probably an upcharge for that? I.e., how many MB of RAM comes with a basic Mac PowerBook M1 vs. the basic iMac M1? Other than RAM the other sacrifices of course going PowerBook over iMac would be perhaps not as nice a sound system and a smaller screen. Maybe the mic and camera aren't as good either? On the plus side you get laptop portability.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

My 27” 2012 needs to retire to lesser duties soon.... M1 is attracting.

19. burntfrijoles

That's why I specified modern era iMacs. I had the first generation G5 iMac (white) and the fan noise was an issue to keep it cool but I never heard of GPU's frying from the issue. It certainly hasn't been an issue in the last 12-13 years.

20. chris m.

Drew617 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.