Exchange frets in Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kris 1111, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I need your advice. My 1983 phone needs to be replaced frets and I wonder if I can change the whole equipment, i.e. a new bridge, pickups, etc. I also consider drilling 6 holes in the board to have more options for configuring the bridge. I just don't know if it's worth, or better to sell and buy another guitar?

2. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

3. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

1983 Tele

4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry Kris, you mean you want to change out the hardware and pickups. Not exactly sure what you mean by drilling 6 holes in the board, unless you mean the body and the Tele you have is a toploader? If you are replacing frets, stainless steel would be a good way to go, but if you've never done it (I haven't either), maybe get a tech to do it for you.
    If this work is all being done on a budget Tele ie, a Squier, then it may be worth saving up a bit of cash to get either a Made in Mexico, Japan, or USA made Fender. Good luck whatever you decide.

Wallaby likes this.
  5. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

With all the things you mention doing I think finding another guitar would be easier and possibly cost less, and also involve less risk of devaluing your equipment.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Can you explain what you are trying to change or correct? If you're wanting simply a different guitar, then perhaps you should get a different guitar. If you're wanting to thoughtfully try different parts to evaluate, then you can, one part at a time, change out things and decide whether it was successful or not. Like people have stated on other recent threads, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". As to changing the bridge.....guys here will disagree with me, but, having had string-through and top-load bridges ON THE SAME GUITAR, I hear ZERO difference or see no advantage to either. I now use top-load on both my Telecasters because I find it slightly easier to change strings.
    If, on the other hand, you simply want a project to change a bunch of stuff on a guitar.......go for it!

Wallaby and Peegoo like this.
  7. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

F7A85C88-66DA-4526-9D4D-150F83DC0608.jpeg

8. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

It's fit for my neck. I don't want to change the whole guitar, I got used to it a lot. I would like to change it, I need more twang. I was thinking about Texas Specials pickups. I just don't know if I won't have to change all the electronics to make it fit. I don't I know that. I think the guitar is very cool, I've recorded a lot of things but now I need a guitar for country-rock music. I don't know what the cost of a luthier and the whole modernization can be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.