Excessive dynamic range in films and TV

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Jul 7, 2019.

1. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

LutherBurger and LocoTex like this.
  2. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For movies the dynamic range is a pain.
    For TV they compress the sound of advertisements and wind volume up to the maximum legal limit, which is also a pain.

howardlo likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Thanks for reminding me of that, 'cause the problem started when my CRT TV died and I got a flat screen and didn't have anywhere to put my center speaker (sorry I'm American, so I spelled centre wrong), so I started using the analog (I spelled that the wrong American way too) out from my cable box into my surround receiver instead of the digital out, and set the TV input on the receiver for stereo mode, instead of Dolby Digital. So, I now just set it to Dolby Pro Logic Music mode, so I'd still get dialog (American spelling again), and it's quite a bit better. The music and action are still louder than the voices, but not as much. I guess I should get a thin soundbar to use in front of the TV without blocking the picture, 'cause my TV is on a stand, not on the wall, and my center speaker is too tall to fit in front of the TV without blocking some of the picture. I used to have the center speaker on top of the CRT TV. If I get a soundbar, then I can go back to full Dolby Digital, and start using my rear speakers again too.

tvas22 likes this.
  4. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

Ah, this is true. I just watch on Netflix etc though, so I had forgotten about this.

I need to do the same - I have a soundbar though, using digital out, so I wonder if I just haven't found the right settings for it? I will investigate.

5. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Totally agree with the insane volume of the music, I cant hear a damn thing what's being said & have to use the subtitles option to follow the dialogue.
    It's got to the stage where it's just too much of a hassle to watch the new films any more. they're not made for older guys like me who would actually like to listen what's being said to be able to follow the plot......Harumph!

howardlo and LocoTex like this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I watch a lot of classic films on TCM, which actually have much better stories and acting, and actually have a plot and character development instead of car chases, explosions, and green screened super heroes. And have more balanced sound too.

Stubee, howardlo, Jim603 and 2 others like this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes! Extreme differences. Plus often dialogue is naturalistic, quick, quiet full of colloquialisms. I mostly grew up surrounded by people who spoke clearly with good English and diction so I
    struggle sometimes with real life dialogue too! Plus the adverts are compressed like a brickwall and are twice the audible level to the show.

I am ALWAYS using the volume remote and (and mute for ads) often have to replay sections at volume to get the dialogue. And despite years of guitar and drum noise abuse, my hearing is thankfully still excellent.

8. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

I don't think this is a recent thing. I had this problem years ago when I tried to watch The Matrix. Couldn't get through the movie because of it. It's not an issue for me anymore, I don't watch tv or movies hardly at all anymore. Problem solved. :)

JL_LI likes this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Y’all should have an audio compressor like I have. My wife. In fact you can have her if you can afford her. She won’t give up the remote. She turns the volume way up to hear over the AC. She turns it way down when she hears something she doesn’t like. Commercials too loud? Never in my house. She turns to CNN or HGTV and starts watching that until a commercial break. Then she turns back to the original show. When it gets too much, I just go down stairs, pick up a guitar, and turn it up loud enough that she slams the door. This is not, I repeat, not, a problem with the TV or cable. It’s the new normal with a 69 YO wife who insists my hearing deficit is worse than hers.

Stubee and LutherBurger like this.
  10. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

When the wife and I watch movies, we have the sound coming through the TV at a moderate level, and also coming through the stereo at whatever level we need to hear the dialogue. As soon as the explosions start, I mute the stereo, then when it gets quiet again, I un-mute the stereo. It's not too inconvenient and it solves the problem. I don't usually have this problem with regular TV shows.

11. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I hate it, but 4K bothers me more.

12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Until you mentioned her age, I thought you and I might be illegally married to the same woman.

JL_LI likes this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

TCM is my primary, and you are correct, the sound there is more balanced. Some channels are worse than others. Perhaps its back to bad sound management and processing on the part of the channel/broadcaster?

howardlo likes this.
  14. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I can't stand it either.

I tried to watch titanic last night on TNT. (hey its been years) Horrible sound control. I really thought they were having problems but it didn't go away. I had to give up considering the household was asleep. Because the commercials were crazy loud.

I haven't had too much of a problem for the last few years. I ditched all the fancy multi channel sound equipment for the basic left and right channel amp/receiver.

15. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I have a strong on my TV that evens out the sound fairly well. I also have it hooked up to a Bose Solo sound bar and listen through that. (As a bonus it can also work as a really good Bluetooth speaker.) It has a dialogue button that emphasizes the dialogue and somewhat subdues the background. That thing has been a godsend for me. Much easier to listen to.

16. rasr1

rasr1 TDPRI Member

Fulminates are chemical compounds which include the fulminate ion. The fulminate ion, CNO−
    , is a pseudohalic ion because its charge and reactivity are similar to those of the halogens. Due to the instability of the ion, fulminate salts are friction-sensitive explosives. The best known is mercury(II) fulminate, which has been used as a primary explosive in detonators. Fulminates can be formed from metals, such as silver and mercury, dissolved in nitric acid and reacted with ethanol. The weak single nitrogen-oxygen bond is responsible for their instability. Nitrogen very easily forms a stable triple bond to another nitrogen atom, forming nitrogen gas.

17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I think I meant culminating, but I'm old enough that I can claim that as a senior moment, lol

18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Plays loud guitar music, uses volume knobs.

Doesn't like sound dynamics in movies.

I'm literally shrugging at my keyboard here.

19. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Headphones help for late night movie watching.

20. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

add a compressor to your signal chain and an equalizer to drop out the bass.

works for me...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.