Except for Baseball

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I am 100% a fair weather fan. I have only a few things I am really passionate about. Baseball is one. I never lived in a town that had a championship team while I was there except the Astros in 2017 and well you know about that one.

I also have a passion for the movie Pretty Woman. Totally implausible plot, barely stands the test of time, except I like it. My wife would tease me unmercifully when I found it flipping channels. "Why?" do you continually watch that. You know every word?" In particular I like the part where Richard Gere, snaps the lid of the $250K necklace on Julie Robert's hand and Laren Hill's Fallen starts up. I love the song and the way it was presented in the movie. But if it was another ear worm song, I would still stop and do, every time the movie is on cable.

Yesterday I was watching the Houston Cougars in their Elite 8 match with Villanova. I thought they were sluggish and not as agressive as in the earlier games and Villanova was outplaying them. Fair weather fan kicks in and I started flipping channels and to my great surprise Pretty Woman was playing and just a few minutes before my favorite scene.

Not a good sports day, but baseball season is here and it looks like Pretty Woman is on rotation again.

Downshift

Tele-Afflicted
I was born in Northern Indiana, and have been a Cubs fan my whole life. There were a lot of rough times along the way. The good times were rare and tainted.

But then comes Theo Epstein, and that was exciting. Once the pieces started falling in place in 2015, it was a whole new experience. This is winning? This is making it deep into the post season? We've got ROY, MVP, and Cy Young candidates? No hitters? A world series?

It was fun while it lasted. Never to be forgotten.

But this time, now that its over, I'm very bitter that ownership and management are all too willing to let it fall apart. I understand replacing key pieces that aren't performing. Its hard, but I understand...if they're actually replaced. The Cubs clearly OK with putting together a .500 team and making their money on "the Wrigley experience." The Ricketts got their trophy, and they're never going to spend more than they have to again on the roster.

I'm bitter. I've been way out west for 25 years. Thinking about being a Dodgers fan. I feel guilty saying it, but it would sure be a lot more fun.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Only one thing to say here.....
Welcome!

Attachments

• 12246851_10156258201395321_6571938967562568850_n.png
    12246851_10156258201395321_6571938967562568850_n.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 3

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
watched 5 innings of the Giants game yesterday. Aunt, cousin, his wife and two kids at the game... 85 year old aunt even ran the bases after the game! Being a Giants fan has its ups and downs... Willie Mays and McCovey and Speier in my childhood, but no WS and they damn near moved to Florida. Some great teams in the 80's and 90's but... nothing. Bonds was breathtaking to watch, but, nothing. Then Timmy the kid and Pablo and Posey arrive and Crawford et al arrive and 3 championships! The era ends and we SUCK, and then we get a moneyball gm who spends some money and a manager who is channeling his inner Phil Jackson as part guru part good friend... and the results, so far, have been hugely fun.

And while no new championship, 107 wins was nearly a third of the year with a happy outcome. I am thrilled to see baseball coming and am hoping for a great, fun year. My team will be one that has been constructed carefully and thoughtfully, and with the quants and the scouts all figuring out the little edge... and knowing our drafts have been good for two years, we have some youngsters coming who will thrill us for years! There will never be another Timmy Jim, but, another Posey would be fantastic.
IMG_1502.jpeg

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Fair weather fan? Pretty Woman? I watch college sports for the cheerleaders. Where does that fit in?

Reactions: BB

Chip

Friend of Leo's
I love baseball but absolutely hate Major League Baseball and especially the crappy situation in Cleveland. Thank GOD I still have my memories.

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
watched 5 innings of the Giants game yesterday. Aunt, cousin, his wife and two kids at the game... 85 year old aunt even ran the bases after the game! Being a Giants fan has its ups and downs... Willie Mays and McCovey and Speier in my childhood, but no WS and they damn near moved to Florida. Some great teams in the 80's and 90's but... nothing. Bonds was breathtaking to watch, but, nothing. Then Timmy the kid and Pablo and Posey arrive and Crawford et al arrive and 3 championships! The era ends and we SUCK, and then we get a moneyball gm who spends some money and a manager who is channeling his inner Phil Jackson as part guru part good friend... and the results, so far, have been hugely fun.

And while no new championship, 107 wins was nearly a third of the year with a happy outcome. I am thrilled to see baseball coming and am hoping for a great, fun year. My team will be one that has been constructed carefully and thoughtfully, and with the quants and the scouts all figuring out the little edge... and knowing our drafts have been good for two years, we have some youngsters coming who will thrill us for years! There will never be another Timmy Jim, but, another Posey would be fantastic.
View attachment 966611
The youth movement starts this year with Ramos and a full season of Doval. We were supposed to be in rebuild mode, but instead we're coming off of the greatest regular season in franchise history. The three-way (then two-way) division race with LA and SD was a blast!

We almost didn't get to see Spring ball this year (or a big chunk of the season, for that matter). There's a lot to be grateful for and look forward to!

To anyone looking for a team to hitch their bandwagon to, I will just advise that the Dodgers always have high expectations, but rarely deliver (they needed a short season to win the WS). I recommend the Giants instead ;)

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Fair weather fan? Pretty Woman? I watch college sports for the cheerleaders. Where does that fit in?
Don't I get a like for connecting baseball, March Madness, Pretty Woman and wife griping in a single thread?

Pretty Woman was on again today. Also watched some Motorcycle Flat Track, another passion. So glad baseball is back.;)

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Everyone has things they are passionate about and things they just enjoy in passing. Nothing wrong with enjoying a game or movie or concert that isn’t your life’s passion.

Also for fun:

That was a good movie. The unlikelihood of the plot only makes it more fun as an escape.

The tobacco/snuff tins your pitcher on your school’s team kept in his back pocket was a radio. As it was at my school and my kid’s school. It buzzes a pattern sent from the coach based on the sign or call. What the Astros did is what every team has done and still does every game. So let that go.

And lastly, other than the Braves it’s really hard being a fan of Atlanta sports. My blood pressure is better when it’s not football season. I wonder if there is scientific evidence that being a fan of a team is bad for you?

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Everyone has things they are passionate about and things they just enjoy in passing. Nothing wrong with enjoying a game or movie or concert that isn’t your life’s passion.

Also for fun:

That was a good movie. The unlikelihood of the plot only makes it more fun as an escape.

The tobacco/snuff tins your pitcher on your school’s team kept in his back pocket was a radio. As it was at my school and my kid’s school. It buzzes a pattern sent from the coach based on the sign or call. What the Astros did is what every team has done and still does every game. So let that go.

And lastly, other than the Braves it’s really hard being a fan of Atlanta sports. My blood pressure is better when it’s not football season. I wonder if there is scientific evidence that being a fan of a team is bad for you?
Trey Young could make an Atlanta BB fan!
The science on fan stuff is that win or lose, it is better to be a big fan than no fan at all. Casual fandom is like casual sex, it is still good, but nothing like the passion of true fandom.

The Astros were 100% cheating in ways that their own former players could not stand which is why they got ratted out. They took it too far and got caught. Were other teams cheating? well, yeah, teams that had leaders who came from the Astros. It was like Enron quit oil and took up baseball.

The fans don't have to feel bad about it, but Correa and Altuve do.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Trey Young could make an Atlanta BB fan!
The science on fan stuff is that win or lose, it is better to be a big fan than no fan at all. Casual fandom is like casual sex, it is still good, but nothing like the passion of true fandom.

The Astros were 100% cheating in ways that their own former players could not stand which is why they got ratted out. They took it too far and got caught. Were other teams cheating? well, yeah, teams that had leaders who came from the Astros. It was like Enron quit oil and took up baseball.

The fans don't have to feel bad about it, but Correa and Altuve do.
I love Trae! He’s also my son’s favorite player. I watched him at OU too. It’s hard to be a Hawks fan sometimes but I stick it out. Same with Falcons. Being a fan and expecting a result are 2 different things. That’s what a fair weather fan does. I love the Hawks and will love them next year whether they make playoffs or not. I also believe Trae Young has long term star potential which is good for the team.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Love the game, SF stickers adorn both cars and my MD vanity plate was Giants-themed. Feel like MLB oughta shorten the season, but won’t. I miss the meaning of the long slog, but September is arguably more fun. Looking forward to taking in some Isotopes games in ABQ this year.

Like last year, I’ll probably wait to dial in to Los Gigantes. F1 gets my wire to wire money for 2022. $80 for 30 races is beyond fair, tremendous product thus far.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I am the same way with "Big Trouble in Little China"...always end up watching it for the millionth time.
I'm that way with Twister. I have watched it way too many times. If Joe Kidd comes on, I'm done. I'm gonna watch. Of the romcom stuff, I guess fools rush in is the one that if my wife catches me watching it she laughs at me for a pretty long time.

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
Stopped watching pro baseball around 19&71. Still love college baseball, and hang on every pitch, esp. during the college world series.

Never really liked Pretty Woman, and Julia Roberts never did much for me.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
In the early 70s, the Portland Trailblazers won an NBA championship. After that, everyone in town followed the team through several seasons of close losses. And again in the late 80s. In retrospect, this was probably like gambling addiction. Win big, then follow that with a number of heartstopping playoffs.

I am sure that their successes were because coach Jack Ramsey preached bounce passes.