Excelsior Speaker Replacement Instructions

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jshape, Jun 21, 2017.

1. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

I don't really know my way around the guts of an amp very well, so I have kind of a novice question - As is popular with many who own the Fender Excelsior, I was planning on swapping out the speaker and trying some different ones. But when I went to unscrew the stock speaker I discovered I can't get to one of the screws. The very bottom screw to the baffle is tucked behind the power amp enclosure and I can't seam to get a screwdriver in there. I've never run into this before when taking out a speaker so I don't know how to get around it. I know it can't be that tough because I've read about thousands of others who have replaced the speaker in this amp. I tried to unscrew the power amp enclosure and temporarily move it, but even after removing all visible screws it still seems attached to the cab somehow. Like I said I don't really know what I'm doing, so I don't want to go any further for fear of messing something up or not being able to get it back together properly. If there are any videos out there I could be directed to or any advice/ instructions that could be supplied it'd be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If I remember correctly, there are a couple of screws holding the power tube enclosure in place, and four (I think) screws holding the lower chassis in place. The chassis has two cutouts on the back that slide over two wooden rails fastened to the inside of the cabinet. The chassis must slide straight out towards the back.

When you pull the lower chassis, be very careful, the bottom is open and there are some powerful voltages in there you don't want to mess with. It is easily handled, but, just be careful and don't curl your fingers inside.

You may find you need to remover both top and bottom chassis (chassi?). The nice thing is, the top one is completely enclosed.

uriah1 likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

You have to remove the power section. Very easy. Two screws on top at the side. Two screws on the front lower edge. You can get a driver-drill in there but it's tight, but they're coarse woodscrews they come out easy with a screwdriver Then waggle it up and back. It will come out. Also unscrew the conduit clamp on the side. Good chance to replace the chocolate bar wrapping foil with some stick-on aluminium flashing for better shielding. to get new speaker in, it helps to bend the ears with a couple shifters like this: IMG_20170629_141425.jpg

5. Dacious

Oh, you also have to remove the cage over the power tubes, the chassis has to lift to get over the blocks of wood mounted to the sides of the cabinet the side screws bite into. I'd remove the tubes carefully too.

6. Dacious

PPS if you cut those ears off both sides, the chassis would slide straight out the back with no lifting.

7. Dacious

PPPS don't overtighten the speaker screws. Nip them all up just finger-tight, then tweak them in a star pattern like a wheel screw driver not driver drill. The speaker gasket will compress, and some will go loose. You want to take them all down evenly, 1/4 turn at a time, until they're all about 1/2-3/4 turn past finger tight. Any more, you risk distorting a pressed frame which will do nothing for the way it sounds. They don't need to be screwed in hard.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  8. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

In case anyone was curious (I was... not sure why though), I thought I'd post a pic of how the speakers from an Excelsior Pro compares with the standard model. Pro is left, "Stnd" on the right. IMG_2672.JPG

9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I ditched that cab and built a little pine cab with an old Crate labeled Eminence....now its a stellar sounding amp.

Attached Files:

gtrwrks and Tele Slacker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.