Excellent Elliot Easton Exposé in the Popular Periodic Publication we call GP

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Nov 25, 2011.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I just got the December '11 Guitar Player in the mail today, and there's a great article on the great Cars guitarist and TDPri member Elliot Easton.

Easton talks about the making of the new Cars album and some of the gear he used, and the future of his other band, The Tiki Gods.

Greatest line in the interview:

GP: You famously cut all your parts on the first Cars record in one day. How long did you spend on this one?

Easton: Even longer.

:lol:

2. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

That guy is one talented dude!

3. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

A friend of mine who has seen a double ton of really good guitarists over the years saw EE when he was with Credence Clearwater Revisted, and he says bar none Easton is the best player he has ever watched.

Justin

4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I can easily see why someone would say that. The guy gets a huge thick tone in one passage of a song, then twangs out with the most interesting note selection in the leads and fills between verses, then seems to fly by the seat of his pants on almost every solo, and he's one of those guys who always lands on his feet at the end of the solo.

And the Cars as a band have MUCH more of an influence on the current state of pop-punk than most people even realize. Bands like Green Day and Blink 182 obviously draw much from them.

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Years ago, I attended a workshop given by Elliot and when one guitar player asked about scales and modes, he kind of recoiled and said, something to the effect, that he doesn't really think in terms of scales, just melody.
    Great advice.

6. Thundersleet

Thundersleet Tele-Afflicted

That's interesting. Making a note.

7. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

Elliot has always been one of my favorite guitarists. The first two Cars' albums are still in heavy rotation on my playlist, 30-something years after their release. I consider Elliot one of the most tasteful and melodic guitar players I've ever had the privilege to listen to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.