Examples of wah used well?

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
the way that makoto kawabata (acid mothers, mainliner) uses it to get the harsh noise thing in his solos. he puts it before the muff so it makes the fuzz super brittle and peak-y. like tunable noise, haha. he uses some kind of auto filter sometimes too.

i think he sort of copped it from high rise, but made it more extreme:

Last edited:

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
Amazing responses, thanks. I started this thread thinking I do not need a wah, by page 2 I’m thinking I definitely need a wah, and by page 3 I’m hoping I never hear a wah again… but right now I definitely need a wah, in honour of Frank Zappa, Ernie Isley, Ron Asheton, Mick Ronson and Miles Davis and, as @deytookerjaabs says, to get the all important tone suck for my Princeton Reverb.
The question is, which one - I think probably Vox (and the model closest to the original/least ‘improved’) 🙂

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
Amazing responses, thanks. I started this thread thinking I do not need a wah, by page 2 I’m thinking I definitely need a wah, and by page 3 I’m hoping I never hear a wah again… but right now I definitely need a wah, in honour of Frank Zappa, Ernie Isley, Ron Asheton, Mick Ronson and Miles Davis and, as @deytookerjaabs says, to get the all important tone suck for my Princeton Reverb.
The question is, which one - I think probably Vox (and the model closest to the original/least ‘improved’) 🙂

I'm not a wah expert but if you google a bit you'll find websites with all the inductor/pot differences in old wahs. And the cool thing about the old pedals is last I looked there were many which were still cheap but had nearly the same internals as the ones that were high priced due to their presence in certain old photos/concerts.

The drawback to old wah pedals tends to be the "throw" (is that what they call it? the distance from bottom to top cocked/uncocked) is short, they run on batteries alone, may need a little TLC and no true bypass.

I also have a modern switchable fulltone wah that sounds incredible but I only use when I actually want to go wah wah wah.

When I was a teenager I owned a cheap 90s crybaby & 90s vox, both did the job just fine if you're looking to have fun.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
somewhere around here, on a cassette tape, i have a recording of Clapton on a live version of i shot the sherriff with a 2-3 minute wah solo at the end. i think it's one of the best wah solos ever recorded. don't know what record it's from, tho.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
An unconventional wah-wah use — David Gilmour’s ‘seagull’ sounds on Echoes, and also on the non-album track Embryo from around the same period, are made using a wah pedal plugged in backwards.

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I was never into Wah - frankly because of Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton. I hated that sound.
I only got interested into wah when I listened to more 70s funk. I still don't use wah with a lot of overdrive, mainly cleansound or a very lowgain tone. It's more of a percussive rhythm-tool for me, than soloplaying.
My favorite pedal is the T-Rex Gull Wah.