Examples of wah used well?

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
I can think of Ron Asheton playing on The Stooges first album as being a really great example of wah being used well, and then there’s Reggae of course, and Jimi Hendrix, and then I’m starting to run out… so this effect that so many guitarists have, yet hardly anyone seems to get a half-decent sound out of. I might be wrong, and I’d be interested in your favourite examples, if you have any?
8805015E-7510-4D31-9742-4EBF9B00BF35.jpeg

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Cream "Tales of Brave Ulysses" is a personal fav.

I chased that wah sound (which is similar to Hendrix' "Still Raining Still Dreaming" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" wah) for years until I got a RMC6 Wheel of Fire. That was my Holy Grail, and I finally found it.

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
Cream "Tales of Brave Ulysses" is a personal fav.

I chased that wah sound (which is similar to Hendrix' "Still Raining Still Dreaming" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" wah) for years until I got a RMC6 Wheel of Fire. That was my Holy Grail, and I finally found it.
Good call, I’m listening to ‘Tales of Brave Ulysses’ now - first time in about 40 years 🎸

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
You may think he overused it, or that some of the songs it’s on are overplayed, but I think Slash uses it well.

Henry Garza of Los Lonely Boys does some tasty wah.

I like how John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers) employs some of the more “hissy” qualities of wah. He’s also on some Mars Volta tracks/albums.

Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains).

Gary Clark Jr.

I think the best wah users don’t go “way wah wah” all the time so much as use it as real-time EQ/gain/feedback manipulation.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I was just listening to 'Eddie' from the latest Chili Peppers album (Return of the Dream Canteen) as I read your post! Fruscianti's subtle/cocked wah on that sounds pretty nice to me. Also lately listening a lot to the Dead's Europe '72 Vol. 2, on which Garcia has some cool extended wah work going on in 'Playing In the Band'. (Starts at about 2:57, you can hear it kick on.)

Last edited: