Examples of good slide guitar in standard tuning?

bigbenbob

TDPRI Member
I'm not a slide guitar aficionado per say, but I certainly appreciate good slide. I'd be curious to hear examples of good blues or rock slide guitar in standard tuning.
Anything Lowell George with Little Feat. He moved the target post Duane Allman. Listen to Lafayette Railroad, Down the Road, Long Distance Love, Rocket in My Pocket, Mercenary Territory (esp the live version on Waiting for Columbus). There's a start.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Ritchie Blackmore: lots of great slide playing tucked away on Deep Purple records. I believe Blackmore just holds the slide in his hand rather than put it on a finger (& there are stories he used to throw the slide at his band mates when he reached the end of the solo..!).

No No No (slide solo about 1:40).

Adrian Belew, with an unusual index-finger-over-the-top technique:

Matte Kudasai (slide throughout)

ProzaKc Blues (first slide solo about 1:50. Switching from slide to normal throughout - bottleneck stored on the low E tuner for easy access!)

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
Anything Lowell George with Little Feat. He moved the target post Duane Allman. Listen to Lafayette Railroad, Down the Road, Long Distance Love, Rocket in My Pocket, Mercenary Territory (esp the live version on Waiting for Columbus). There's a start.

I don't think that LG played much slide in standard, if at all.

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
Adrian Belew, with an unusual index-finger-over-the-top technique:
That technique probably works better if you know you're only going to be playing the treble strings in your parts. I've never played slide so I'm just speculating.

Hank-Frost

TDPRI Member
Zhenya "Rock" Kolihanov of the Flying Balalaika Brothers, when he was still with the Red Elvises. I have seen him live and he was much better than this video shows at using the slide like it was just another finger. I have seen the Red Elvises in Florida, Kentucky and New York, but only one show had Zhenya on guitar.

Here's another version with terrible video, but better playing by Zhenya.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
That technique probably works better if you know you're only going to be playing the treble strings in your parts. I've never played slide so I'm just speculating.
Could be so... I suspect part of the rationale is that it's "sort of" like how you play a lap steel, in so far as your hand is coming from the bass string side and it's your ring and pinkie fingers doing the muting behind the slide. I play some lap steel though and when I play bottleneck I'm not tempted to try Belew's way, I come up from under as normal.

SRBMusic

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
When I was learning to play slide I studied Elmore James, Bonnie Raitt and especially Lowell George. They didn’t play in std tuning AFAIK. There are great examples here, but I wouldn’t look to these three as players who used standard tuning.