Examples of good slide guitar in standard tuning?

mretrain99

TDPRI Member
Ry Cooder's two solos on John Haitt's "Lipstick Sunset" are sublime, especially the second one.

Wait wait wait, Ry Cooder played slide on “Lipstick Sunset” in standard tuning? What is this based on? I always thought slide in standard tuning was something he was dead set against; although on the other hand I always thought he was dead set against using any kind of plectrum for slide, and he definitely used a thumbpick when he toured with Ricky Skaggs, so you never know with that guy.

BlueTele

Tele-Meister
My top votes go to Duane Allman, therefore Derek Trucks as well, and Joe Walsh no matter who he was playing with. As such as I like Muddy Waters, his tone was a bit too "treble" and piercing, but...his groove and message were great.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Mick Taylor shows you how in this instructional DVD.

6B55D7F0-C1DB-4080-AE87-4B0A356387BE.jpeg

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Even with the interwebs some forum comments over take the word from the player. ..help me!
Joe Walsh plays in E open on his famous tunes with slide! Email him!

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Wait wait wait, Ry Cooder played slide on “Lipstick Sunset” in standard tuning? What is this based on? I always thought slide in standard tuning was something he was dead set against; although on the other hand I always thought he was dead set against using any kind of plectrum for slide, and he definitely used a thumbpick when he toured with Ricky Skaggs, so you never know with that guy.
Well forums and facts don't match

wildcatter

TDPRI Member
I'm not a slide guitar aficionado per say, but I certainly appreciate good slide. I'd be curious to hear examples of good blues or rock slide guitar in standard tuning.
Robby Krieger of The Doors or Duane Allman of The Allman Brothers and Derek and the Dominos

Indian Joe

Tele-Meister
My first guitar, age 13, in 1961, was a $5 acoustic, basically unplayable because of the (in)action. I found a 1/2” copper pipe coupling fit my 3rd finger middle knuckle so I began playing slide like the guy on one of those hillbilly music TV shows.
Eventually, Dunlop offered ‘knuckle slides’, which I now use. I saw the Hellecasters once & a guitarist used one. Playing in standard tuning & being able to use one’s fingers with slightly limited effect on the slide finger works great. Easy to blend in a few slide licks with chords, etc. Works great on the big strings on lower frets.
I feel it would be a bit egotistical to post any of my recorded slide work, but as the other video examples were all large/ full size slide, I wanted to mention the smaller slide. There are others made, kinda slide rings. The hand does not need to be held differently upto use the small slides.