Exam Time: Why do we play Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleblasted, Nov 23, 2013.

1. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Because I'm not allowed to have a mistress

2. teleblasted

teleblasted TDPRI Member

Ha Ha: Well I wondered what what happen if I just threw that brick in the pond! I did say broadly two camps, not pigeonholing anyone.
    For me, though I appreciate the twang in the hands of those who can do it well, it's a rock and roll machine, and I love it's simplicity. In fact I don't like guitars with 3 pickups at all (sorry Strat owners). The performers who've influenced my (ahem) 'style' over the years have mostly been Tele men...Richards, Springsteen, Buchanan, and probably unknown to USA guys Wilko Johnson and Mick Green. British guitar players whose rock & roll / rhythm & blues style could best be described as 'swashbuckling'! Green by the way (sadly deceased) was appropriately the axe man in the Pirates....of Johnny Kidd fame. Before anyone else says it though..he did not play on 'Shaking All Over'.

3. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

I'm a weird blue-haired androgynous freak, so i find playing a retro-looking surf green tele gives me a bit of class XD

4. Veebus52

Veebus52 Tele-Meister

Because I like hanging out on this forum with all you great people and wanted to be in "the club". (among other reasons already mentioned)

5. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

It is a nice forum, lots of knowledgable folk on here!

6. Audio Esoterica

Audio Esoterica Tele-Meister

I'm always trying to balance my love of excessive dark fuzz with the need for clarity and articulation. My 72 RI MIM Custom does that better than any other guitar I own or have tried. As a bonus, Teles just FEEL right to me. It was only after I started playing one that I realized how many of my favorite players/tones start at a Telecaster. SGs with p90s are a close second, but my hands belong to the Tele now.

7. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

You might like the soundbox multiwave distortion, it uses a series of band pass filters to distort each string separately, and let's you do mad fuzz and distortion whilst separately articulating each string with a lot of clarity. You can roll it off for subtle drive or tank it to make it sound like a broken octaved sega genesis.

Works great on my esquire :)

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Can't beat 'em with a stick!:p

9. Rocketman_ab

Rocketman_ab Tele-Meister

I'd agree with this. And they're just so cool.

10. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Um. To make music? I think?

Can I be excused? My brain is full and I have to go to the head room. I feel like I'm starting to reverberate. I don't want to feedback right here on the floor. Because if I did, you might get covered in all kinds if nasty flatted fifths. They're tough to wash off.

11. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I don't do twang and tele's are far from simple. If you used the term 'workhorse' or something along those lines I would agree 100%. I am not sure if there is a more bulletproof guitar on the market besides a Strat.

I own a J5 Signature tele and a VM thinline with Keystones. I got the J5 because I like John 5 and its a lot of guitar for the money. Also at the time, the only HH guitar I had was a LP, now I got two LP's and a J5 :D.

I got the VM TL because I got a killer deal on it. It has one of the best necks I have ever felt. Because of the neck, I put keystones in it because the guitar deserved better pickups. Now its probably my go-to electric, well, it splits time with my MIJ Squier 70's RI Strat anyways.

As for the far from simple statement, lets take the bridge for an example. You always see the 'Barden vs. Glendale vs. Callaham vs etc. threads', Barrel saddles vs. Standard, 3 vs. 6 saddles, brass vs. steel, top loader vs. string through. Heck, that is all just the bridge.

12. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I fit into the second category. Their simplicity and versatility is why they are the go to for me.

13. tyroneslothrop

tyroneslothrop TDPRI Member

Keefer
    Prince
    Joe Strummer
    the Boss
    Black Francis
    Clarence White
    Mike Bloomfield
    Jimmy Page
    Buck Owens
    Syd Barrett
    James Burton
    Andy Summers
    Albert Collins
    Bob Dylan
    George Harrison
    Albert Lee
    Muddy Waters
    Keith Urban

14. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

The simplicity of the design and of course the twang sound

15. teleblasted

teleblasted TDPRI Member

Come on now, it doesn't matter which type of bridge you have, the standard guitar is still simple as they come: Two single coil pickups, one vol, one tone. A hard as nails stripped down thoroughbred of a guitar, little changed in over 60 years, a biter and hard to handle, but I have no desire for any other.

16. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Im just saying its probably the most tricked out style of guitar possible on the market. The possibilities and different combinations are nearly infinite. Maybe a stock tele is simple in design but then we mod the hell out of them or at least a lot of us in TDPRI land do.

17. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Because they are known to float.

18. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

The first camp was made of sticks, and was crushed flat. The poor camp dwellers ran away crying.

The second camp was made of bricks and so didn't suffer a scratch. But the camp dwellers leaned out the window and yelled "HEY YOU TELECASTER PLAYERS! Go fall broadly into the lake and stay away from our camp!"

I play the Telecaster because I can't play piano. I tried. I put a strap on the piano and put it around my neck, but I couldn't lift it.

19. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Amen to that. I paid $200 for my Squire CVC and it plays and sounds as well as guitars for which I have paid much, much more. Plus, Teles are unpretentious. The poseurs all play Strats an Les Pauls.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Because it was candy apple red.

Really. I had no idea what I was doing at the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.