Evil Twin

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rushman, Jan 17, 2020.

1. rushman

rushman TDPRI Member

I have a blackface Evil Twin that I had rebuilt by a fastidious tech with new old stock correct capacitors,caps,etc.It had been sitting in a chook shed for years.It is an amazing amp.But there is a problem that has mystiefied us.The reverb doesn’t work unless you have an effects box plugged into the front and the effect doesn’t have to be on for it to work.Plug a guitar straight in and it’s no go.Before we pull it all apart can anybody shed any light on this.This applies to both inputs.

2. cometazzi

cometazzi TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

First question: Does it make a difference if the FX box is true-bypass or has buffered switching?

That could give up a clue.

3. rushman

rushman TDPRI Member

I don’t have a buffeted effects unit( is the OCD overdrive?i have one).Not sure why this would make a difference.Just seems strange that a straight lead from guitar to amp gets no reverb.But plug a box in and there it is with full adjustment on the control panel.

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Using the same instrument cable? Have you tried using the cable from the OCD to the amp as the instrument cable from guitar to amp? I can't think of any other reason why that pedal would make any difference....just a bad cable?

5. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Try it with the pedal in the chain, but no power supply or battery. Not sure what this would mean, but seems like there's some wild stuff going on here, so might as well try everything.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Weird problem there. I have no thoughts on that.
    I will observe that using NOS electrolytics is not advisable. They go bad with age in or out of a circuit......and probably last longer if they are in-circuit and have current run through them at least once a week.

7. rushman

rushman TDPRI Member

Sorry been busy.Thx for suggestions guys but we have tried everything.Tech(who is fastidious)is going to pull it apart and check.

8. rushman

rushman TDPRI Member

As far as using NOS goes I may have been wrong describing.I meant he sourced all the components correct for that model.

Wally likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

NOS = New Old Stock....meaning it has been sitting unused since it was built. Like dry cell batteries, that does not work for electrolytic capacitors. I felt almost certain that your tech would not use such parts.

10. rushman

rushman TDPRI Member

Fixed by my tech.He did explain it but I am really not that tech minded but it was something to do with a wire going to the reverb tank.Also regarding the NOS query he used parts of the same specs as original not stuff that had been lying around for years

11. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

How do you know if you have an "Evil" Twin. I'm assuming that comes from the "The Twin" series of amps. I have a chance to buy a "The Twin" for 500 USD. The listing says it's an "Evil" Twin. It's blonde, I think, may be tweed. It only has one red knob. The guy also says it has a 25 watt and a 100 watt setting. This, I've never heard of on any Twin, but, I'm no expert.
    Is this anything to get excited about?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.