"Evil" tv show - I just realized it is a modernized Kolchak

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Evil is a CBS series about a team paid for by the Catholic church to investigate paranormal occurrences. It's pretty dang good - scary and disturbing, but not gory. It also is very much about exploring the concept of true evil - and I'll let you marinate on that after you see the show.

But I just tonight realized that it is the newest part of the Kolchak - X-Files continuum of shows where people are forced to explore paranormal events and can't ever believably communicate to the rest of the world what they saw. That said, a big difference with Evil and it's predecessors is that the main plot points are pretty much always explained using science and/or investigation. There are paranormal elements that float around the periphery, but it's not a boogey-man-of-the-week show.

I have to say it's becoming one of my favorite shows that is currently airing.

Reactions: BB

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I loved the old Kolchak character and never missed an episode. Same goes for a radio theater broadcast called the "Strange Seeker".

I will have to check your suggestion out.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I loved the old Kolchak character and never missed an episode. Same goes for a radio theater broadcast called the "Strange Seeker".

I will have to check your suggestion out.

I truly love Kolchak and don't want to draw too close a line. The character of Carl Kolchak really resonated with me, I'm sure because McGavin was such a great actor. Evil has a very different angle to its protagonists, but it works for me.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Good lookin' out, hadn't heard of it.

Side note, I loved that X-Files ep where Carter finally got to pay homage and had Darren McGavin on.