Evidence of magnetic field reversal

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Yeah no magnetic field is BAD . Earth looses some atmosphere every time it happens, w out one , planets end up like Mars. And comet/ asteroid strikes are no laughing matter. Something from the Tauroid stream has struck the Earth far too often. We should be spending far more on detection and protection.

2. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

Well the mag field won't go away forever, it will be reversing polarity and it won't go to zero everywhere while doing so...

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I hear it can make you ‘solo’

teletimetx likes this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

They are building a knowledge base and collecting evidence to have a pretty good idea of what is likely to happen so plans can or could be made.

Scientists and engineers are landing craft on distant asteroids and comets right now. An interception to save the planet is not only possible but the likely response to the foreknowledge of an asteroid impact.

Naivety and ignorance is not really an attractive alternative IMO.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I wish you were right about this.

6. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

There are a lot of missions and research going on to learn how mitigate threats from space.

One of the more fascinating projects may be the current Parker Solar Probe mission. The data gathered may help scientists unlock some real secrets of the sun and aid in predicting future space-weather events. I am still quite curious how the corona can potentially be hotter than surface of the sun, but that's a different topic.

7. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

Oh he's certainly right, No doubt about it, Naivety and ignorance is not an attractive alternative in this instance, Not that it ever is at other times...

8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

This is bad news for me, as I was relying on you to correct the magnetic pole if it does reverse

Can't you just stay awake a few nights, see if you can figure out how to repolarise the planet?

I honestly have no Plan B beyond you sorting it, and if you fail I will have all those magnetic compasses to throw out - both of them

9. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Ideally, we want to predict a solar storm and armor our tech against the onslaught, also hide from the worst of the particles ourselves. Ideally.

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Some people will hate that they waste money on that too.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Threats to the world:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Toto'sDad

During the one of many local scares foist on the population of Bakersfield by hrumph hrumphing officialdom, the local newspaper suggested the people could go to the nearby mountains, and hide in caves. Now, I hunted the area with hounds pretty much year around they referred to for years. In hundreds of trips to the woods I personally had found two caves. One was man made, only about four or five feet high, and about seventy five foot long. The other was smaller than that. I'm thinking somewhere around 400,000 people might find living space a tad cramped.

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

What was the situation that officialdom suggested would be fixed by people being in a cave?

I struggle to imagine the situation that would lead a committee to nod as a majority 'best have the populace in a cave if that happens'

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

[​IMG]

15. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I'll say this, and leave it at this: our biggest threat is a sizeable percentage of folks who think ignorance is a feature, not a bug.

16. Toto'sDad

Local reaction to the almost constant threat of doom by earthquake. IF we had another series of earthquakes, suuuuurrre the first thing you would want to do is go INSIDE a cave! Besides the officialdom only created the scare, it was up to the local newspaper, that thankfully has now shrunken to the size of a Charmin roll to alert the people of what to do. BTW, our local newspaper is printed a hundred miles away, no don't ask, you'll never understand the American Way!

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

isnt that a tree nuetering device?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Any HAM operator worth his beans will tell you it ain't happenin' yet, although the bands suck due to lack of sunspots.

19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The Coriolis effect works for atmosphere and ocean on a planetary scale like this— imagine a flow going straight. Turns out that on a rotating globe straight is actually a turn to the right in the northern hemisphere as the planet rotates beneath the flow. Left in southern. So major cyclones, high pressure systems, ocean currents “ turn” even though in reality they are just following their momentum path. No way this phenomenon can occur on the scale of a sink. Took awhile to really grok this when I took physical oceanography in grad school but suffice it to say all forces have a significant, noticeable effect on differing spatiotemporal scales. If I shoot a bullet at you three feet away I don’t need to compensate for Coriolis effect. If I shoot a missile from Ecuador to Sheboygan I do, because there will be time for the planet to rotate during the flight.

20. Toto'sDad

Also Mr. Piggy, I don't know how old you are, but after living through the early fifties (do people live that long over there?) scare of the Atomic Bomb being dropped on every city, town, and municipality for at least ten years, I'm pretty much impervious to what's best for the community scares.

21. Toto'sDad

Could be!

1 person likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.