EVH Wolfgang Standard

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I spent some time at Guitar Center yesterday while my wife was shopping next door. I became smitten by a guitar that I have no need for and doesn't fit my collection in any way: EVH Wolfgang Standard in matte black with a roasted maple neck in an oiled finish.

I'm no shredder and have honestly always thought that the Wolfgang was weird looking, but for some reason, I was drawn to it yesterday. I'm not one to buy something impulsively unless it is some kind of deal (sale or used), so I resisted walking out with it. Gives me something to research and hunt for a deal- which is honestly my favorite part of buying something... I'm actually digging the white/cream colored one now that I have looked at the entire lineup.

Anybody have one of these? Opinions?

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I don't have one, but every one I've played has been a nice guitar. I honestly think that the Wolfgang shape is beautiful and classic-looking, like it could have been designed in the same time period as the Les Paul.

I'm not a shredder either, but I'd love one with medium jumbo frets and a hardtail.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Those are very nice; I played a couple of them in that matte black finish (it's a Guitar Center exclusive and is $100 less than their current solid color models) but I wound up actually getting one of the Standards with the quilt maple top. I guess that for me a maple top is part of the Wolfgang (and EBMM EVH/Axis) formula.

It was a fantastic built, excellent set-up out of the box (I had ordered it so it was new in the box when I finally got it). Once I got it tuned up I couldn't knock it out of tune - I'm not a trem guy so I pretty much just engaged in some "reliving my age 17-20 years" trem wanking. Eventually I moved it because I could not bond with the EVH neck, and wanted to pay it off before I was hit with any deferred interest on the old GC card.

This was mine:

gVop5PSl.jpg

jman72

Friend of Leo's
I'm not looking for anything either, but I've always loved EVH and those guitars are definitely on my list of gear that I would probably have to get if the right opportunity came along.

shobotan

TDPRI Member
Not a shredder but an EVH fan. I've had mine for a couple of years. The playing experience is different to my other gits which are the usual Tele, Strat style, that is one of the reasons I like it and the only one with a Floyd. Also like the satin neck and the overall quality and finish is excellent, no complaints. A keeper? Yes but I keep all my guitars anyway.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I didn't realize that "Bomber Black" was a GC exclusive. I guess that it makes sense that the other colors are more expensive. I like the white one, but I don't think that I'd pay $100 more for it than the matte black (which is striking with the roaster maple neck).

GC has some used ones for under $500. The added benefit of buying used is that it looks like the D Tuna is a popular mod. Tempting...

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
So I had pretty much kept GAS at bay and convinced myself that I didn't need one of these. Now GC has put it on sale for $499 which is making it a lot harder to resist. I'm not planning on making a special trip this weekend, but if we happen to be in the area shopping...

Wolfgang22

TDPRI Member
Those are very nice; I played a couple of them in that matte black finish (it's a Guitar Center exclusive and is $100 less than their current solid color models) but I wound up actually getting one of the Standards with the quilt maple top. I guess that for me a maple top is part of the Wolfgang (and EBMM EVH/Axis) formula.

It was a fantastic built, excellent set-up out of the box (I had ordered it so it was new in the box when I finally got it). Once I got it tuned up I couldn't knock it out of tune - I'm not a trem guy so I pretty much just engaged in some "reliving my age 17-20 years" trem wanking. Eventually I moved it because I could not bond with the EVH neck, and wanted to pay it off before I was hit with any deferred interest on the old GC card.

This was mine:

Wolfgang22

TDPRI Member

This was mine:

gVop5PSl.jpg
Stunning top. Put a deposit on this Special. Pick it up next month.
1655183162108.jpeg