1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

EVH signature gear

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Richie Cunningham, Oct 7, 2020.

1. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

That is the story that I heard. After he had Charvel design his perfect guitar, they started selling it. He was pissed, so he went back to his Frankenstrat and added the modifications so it would be harder to copy.

2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know - there will always be someone wanting to capitalize off the name. If Gibson had the nerve to make a Hendrix strat (and they did), then anything can happen! But seriously, my guess is that Fender will keep it going. The guitars especially are unique, as recognizable as a PRS. Another guess is that Wolfgang will assume ownership of the company. He took the lead in getting the ball rolling for the 2012 Van Halen album, so he seems like he has the work ethic for it.

aFewGoodTaters likes this.
  3. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

I agree - I think we'll continue to see EVH gear for quite a while (unless the rights / commissions get tied up in some crazy family estate legal battle).

Eddie was a guitar icon of epic proportions and continues to be an inspiration to many new players. I don't see that changing. Whether it's Frankenstrat copies or 5150s, his brand is instantly recognized by nearly every player.

Fiesta Red and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

Side note: I think what is lost on a LOT of guitarists now is that EVH recorded several classic albums, and toured extensively, on a partscaster that looked like it was eaten by a pack of coyotes and s*** over a cliff. Here we are discussing tonewood, alnico vs. ceramic, fretboard materials, relicing, etc. It seems the secret is to go dumpster diving behind a pawn shop, not have a clue what you're doing, put it together and write good music.

Macrogats, Mad Kiwi, mkdaws32 and 4 others like this.
  5. punkermd

punkermd TDPRI Member

I just found out this week that, that guitar is buried with Dimebag, wild stuff!

drmordo, blowtorch and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

Yep, the yellow and black one.

7. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

that's not good...it belongs to the EVH museum...
    Like a famous painter he had periods: the white, the yellow and the red...damn,I want them all

punkermd likes this.
  8. erobillard

erobillard TDPRI Member

I really like the ideas built into the EVH guitars - the profile of the pots, the D-tuna, a lot of thought went into the details, but I never ran into one with the right feel at the right price, nor the Peavey before it. But Eddie's drive to keep making better guitars, to keep the signal chain clean, to sound great in small clubs, those are all things I've tried to learn from and build on my own ways and that's been incredibly rewarding. It started with building attenuators, starving amps with a variac, and even designing an analog pedal board where I can control the sequence with switches, and eventually to the build of the best guitar with a Floyd Rose that I ever heard or played. So I still don't own any of the name brand gear, but the man was and is a massive inspiration, it just takes a little curiosity and a lot of time.

drmordo likes this.
  9. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

The variac on the EVH amps is pretty damn cool. I've played through both the combo and half stack. I think I liked the combo better. Never had the desire to buy any other signature stuff from EVH.

10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Like the Dual Rec was seemingly on every nu-metal record. Hahaha

11. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I had a white Barretta back in the day. That was the guitar everyone associated with EVH before he started coming out with his own lines of guitars and amps.

20190304_214308 color.jpg

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

There's already been news release about Alex and Wolf will be going through 5150 studio looking for music that also stated his son Wolf will run EVH with the existing guy. I can't imagine Eddie didn't have ownership of the EVH gear handed off in a pretty clear cut way. Alex is still has whatever stake in the band/company.

13. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Where did you see that?

14. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

I think that FMIC may take the route that DEAN took with Dimebag's passing. We shall see.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Eddie himself slipped it in Dimebag's casket. So Eddie himself disagrees with that sentiment

Fiesta Red and drmordo like this.
  16. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I can set up a Floyd to my liking.... just as easily as a strat tremolo ,I never understood the roadblock people faced.
    I have one blocked, and one floating. They both stay in tune better than all my other guitars.
    I love the fine-tuning element, but not enough to bastardize my strats and tele's.

Mad Kiwi and joe_cpwe like this.
  17. cb3000

cb3000 NEW MEMBER!

I have gigged with the EVH phaser for many years and love it. I play guitar but made my living on bass and that phaser sounds so good with any instrument. The sweep is smoother than a stock phase 90. From what I have seen his effects are in their own league-meticulously designed. I hope more non-guitarists can check out his stuff.

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  18. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

MXR EVH Phase 90.Had a few Kramer's back in the day.Sure wish i had them now!

Macrogats and joe_cpwe like this.
  19. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Currently own a peavey 6505+ combo, and had a 6505mh previously. Also regularly play a jackson dinky with a floyd so I guess that counts lol. Im currently gassing for a bumblebee due to the evh and dimebag association.

As for the notion on the end of evh branded gear, i dont see it. EVH is in such an elite pantheon of players and innovators, that his mark will forever be on modern guitars and hopefully guitar based music much like hendrix. Without his involvment and endorsement of the floyd rose i dont know that it would have been more than a historical oddity. I personally think its the only option for a trem, i cant be bothered with the fussy nature of a traditional fender style one and love the rock solid tuning afforded by a floyd. Getting it there is an experience though lol.

20. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

It was a replica! Eddie had a replica made for Dimebag if what I read or heard was correct? EVH was asked for the original guitar and Eddie said he declined stating he couldn't part with it but Eddie had a replica made up for the burial.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.