1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

EVH Brown Sound

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Stanford Guitar, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Lots of things contribute to EVH's brown sound, but one thing I've noticed is he often tunes his B string and sometimes the high E strings slightly flat relative to the other strings. It makes a big difference in the sound of chords when playing VH stuff, you have to play around with it to get the flavor just right. Lots of the recordings to my ears have likely been sped up or slowed down in production as the overall tuning is somewhere between concert pitch tones, pretty common on lots of recordings pre auto-tune era.

I'll post some sound samples a bit later.

2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

This is a great interview. He talks about how how he tried stuff to lower the voltage of his Marshall to make it quieter before finding the Variac.

3. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I thought this thread was going to be about the apparently little known secret of EVH's sound, a brown(sound) face Fender Bandmaster head that according to the media he used during the time of the first three Van Halen albums.

https://wgsusa.com/blog/eddie-van-halen-secret-amp-fender-bandmaster

What is the meaning of "brown sound" as it's used in this thread?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    BuckSatan likes this.
  4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Interesting link, but it doesn't say that he recorded with the Bandmaster. Seems he used it for writing songs, and for smaller clubs.

5. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Re pitch variation on recordings - I recall an early EVH interview where he said that he never bothered with a tuning reference in the studio - he'd just get in tune with himself wherever the guitar happened to be pitched, then the bass would tune to him, and they'd go for it.

6. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

You are right - no wonder I failed my Evelyn Wood speed reading course. I've corrected what I said to conform to the article.

kookaburra likes this.
  7. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

FYI... it is common to flatten the B string a few cents. Many guitar players do that. Actually, many strings are often compensated.

I don't believe that contributes to his "brown sound" in any way, but it is an interesting observation.

Stanford Guitar and Chiogtr4x like this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I always thought it was his variac use and the “bomb” that held everything that helped contribute

There’s also an echoplex
    9F684C02-A2E5-442D-9235-29FB7B001614.jpeg

I saw this picture in Guitar World years ago and always thought it was badass

Engine Swap, DonM and posttoastie like this.
  9. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Your link did get me thinking that I miss my old Bandmaster, so there's that! I really never did give that amp the attention it deserved.

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Flatten the B string? Huh? Can someone elaborate on this?

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's a term EVH used in interviews in describing his rich warm sound

knavel likes this.
  12. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Look up "compensated tunings", "offset tunings" for guitar.
    Peterson (the tuner company) calls them sweetened tunings.... each instrument has variations.

None of this is new... it's been around a long time and there is a lot of info available about it.

James Taylor has a great "tuning" video on You Tube that takes this idea to the extreme although it's geared more for acoustic. It works for him, his tuning (and playing) is beautiful.

Marc Morfei and Chiogtr4x like this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I flatten my B string on my Martin just a pinch to make a ( first position) D chord play in tune.

Headstock tuners are a godsend for doing this! ( among other uses, like quick, slide or drop tuning changes)

StevesBoogie and codamedia like this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

JT is downright manic, or adamant about this!
    BUT, he sounds like James Taylor, which is just about perfect! So he has the cred.

15. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The Brown Sound is elusive. I’ve gotten close to it a few times with different combinations of gear, but have found it not as easy to nail as some other famous guitar tones.

It’s got a unique bottom end, complex mids and some very accented high frequencies, but it’s not harsh or ice picky. It cleans up exceptionally well when he rolls back the volume, without getting bassy or muddy.

His technique also plays into - you can’t ignore that in this discussion. You could plug his guitar into his rig and play early Van Halen tunes and it wouldn’t sound the same without his attention to dynamics, intermixing a heavy attack with an amazingly fluid legato style, his sense of rhythm, etc.

The “brown sound” started disappearing for me around the “1984” album. That was basically the same rig and guitar, but it’s cleaner and more in your face at the same time. Probably mostly due to a change in production techniques, mic placement, etc. But the sound starts to change at that point. Then when you get to the 5150 era (the album, not the amps - those came later) he starts experimenting with heavier use of chorus effects and starts scooping the mids more. The sound then evolves on down the line with the switch from his Plexi to the SLO-100 and then the 5150, 5150ii and 5150 iii amps.

Funny - the 5150 is one of my favorite amps and has really solidified itself as a modern metal platform, which is the furthest thing from a “brown sound” you can get ;). Super versatile amps!

black_doug likes this.
  16. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure what a few cents is, I've never owned any kind of tuner (my son does have one on his pedal board so I will investigate)! But he sometimes tunes his B and sometimes high E an 1/8 to 1/4 step down from what would be considered in tune with the other strings.

I have noticed many other guitarists doing this...ie The Cure, John Frusciante, Tony Rice, and Hendrix (who would tune his low E slightly flat of E-flat to compensate at high registers).

17. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I had no idea he invented wax potting of pickups and also tab notation was developed because his music couldn't be described with traditional musical notation!!!

Wow, I am so surprised no one disabused him of those notions.

Ex-riverman likes this.
  18. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

In another thread there was a pic of his pedal board, and in the early days he had a always-on eq pedal set with a upside down V peaking at 800hz.

I tried it after I saw that pic, and I have to say it is absolutely key to the Brown Sound.

Now I just need to learn some of Eddie's licks! I haven't finger tapped since the 80s!

mkdaws32 likes this.
  19. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Cool! I didn’t know this, but I’ve used a GE-7 as a lead boost in the effects loop for some time with an 800hz boost, roll off of the lower frequencies and sometimes rolling off some highs, depending on the guitar and my mood. Not exactly an upside down V, but a similar concept.

I think a lot of guys did a boost around 800hz in the 80s to push solos to the front of the mix. Furman parametric EQs were popular in the LA metal scene back then, from what I’ve read.

drmordo likes this.
  20. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

I have done this since the beginning over 30 years as a guitarist flattening the B string some .and usually the high e string as it makes the chords sound sweeter . It also can compensate for less then perfect intonation. It just sounds better to my ear. I do this for acoustic guitar as well. you really can't intonate an acoustic at least not easily . It Balances everything out .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.