EVH 5150 Overdrive Equivalent

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by geddyleedog, Jul 18, 2019.

1. geddyleedog

geddyleedog Tele-Holic

I really like the soundclips I've heard of the EVH 5150 Overdrive, but I'm cheap, so I don't like the price tag. Anyone aware of a somewhat equivalent sounding pedal that's significantly less than $150?
    Thanks!

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I don’t use pedals. I have some old ones in a box somewhere, point being, I’m not a expert on pedal prices.
    However $150.00; seems cheap enough for a good pedal, there are many that cost a lot more.
    You could keep your eye on the used market and see if you can get one cheaper there.
    Good luck with it.

3. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

May i suggest a used Wampler Pinnacle. I've had both but i liked the Wampler better. The 5150 had a harsh treble that I personally didn't like and it couldn't be dialed out but that's just me. I don't/ can't play like Eddie,I'm sure in his capable hands it would sound awesome! If you really must have a 5150 maybe you should look for a used one.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep get it used, that's what I did. Pretty sure I only paid a franklin for mine

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Amptweaker TightRock Jr looks like something you can pick up used for about $130 or less.

You might also want to consider a Barber Dirty Bomb. It looks like you can get one of those used for around $100 or less.

...They may not be totally equivalent to the 5150, but they could be similar enough.

6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Try a second hand blues driver or a boss Ds 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. geddyleedog

geddyleedog Tele-Holic

Thank you fellas!

8. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

The most common comparison to the EVH 5150 OD seems to be the Friedman BE OD. Both rather pricey. Another nice pedal in this territory is the Revv G3 but again, pricey.

I would suggest a used Digitech Hardwire TL-2. It's a real sleeper distortion pedal. Built like a tank and so tweakable. Lot's of tonal options in there and you can find them on Reverb or eBay for well under $100.

9. schenkadere

What type of tones are you trying to capture? for what type of music? any examples? what amp?

Another suggestion on the cheap is the Donner Morpher which is a Suhr Riot clone. That will get you into the more modern modified Marshall area. I have a bunch of Donner pedals and really like them. $30 for a very well reviewed distortion pedal is definitely worth a shot. I haven't personally played one, but I have read reviews and listened to a lot of demos when I was in the market for a distortion. It's the same pedal as the Mooer Solo, just less expensive.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  10. 11 Gauge

IMO, it's going to be hard to get the EVH/5150 tonal aspects with either of those Boss pedals. The DS-1 in particular has the mids sucked out. The BD-2 has more of a low mid emphasis that's unlike what the 5150 has.

schenkadere and dlew919 like this.
  11. schenkadere

I agree. Not sure what the OP is going for but those won't get you there. Is it a particular tone quest or does he just like the 5150?

12. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I haven't really given the 5150 much thought ... is it supposed to be the brown sound in a box or more like the 5150/peavey 6505?

13. 11 Gauge

The latter.

14. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

This. Run the Morpher (in classic mode), delay, flanger, reverb and you’re in VH territory. I use the Morpher, Donner Yellow Fall Delay, Donner Jet Convolution Flanger, reverb is in my amp. Alternately, I’ll use my Joyo Vintage Phase (Phase 90 clone) instead of the Flanger but then I put it before the delay.
    Another cheap way to get there is with the Joyo British Sound:
    [​IMG]
    Put it in the effects loop of your amp and set it for Van Halen as follows:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.