1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Everything you know about Teles is wrong...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by srolfeca, May 3, 2021.

1. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

I got all 3, but I have an advantage that I bought my first Jazzmaster last week and have been obsessively tweaking it and trying to figure out its sound. Though as I was doing that, and thinking it has a unique middle tone, I pulled out my Tele and realised the middle position, which I never use on a Tele, sounded almost identical. The Strat middle position was a giveaway, as it's a single pickup. And I feel a Tele bridge is a bit darker. But the bridge and neck differences could all be wiped out with different pickup choices or subtle changes to tone settings. So while I felt confident, I wouldn't have been surprised if I got the Tele and Jazzmaster mixed up.

Luckily tone isn't why I have a variety of Fender single coil guitars. Different feels, weights, scale lengths, vibrato/tremolo systems, string gauges, neck shapes, switching options are all meaningful to me. But also the history of them, who played them, the music associated with different ones, the iconic designs, and yes, even different colours all justify having more than one guitar for me. Even though I could probably play everything I want to play on any one of them (at least the ones with a whammy bar for surf stuff). They all hang on the wall of my home office and when not being played I think of them as artworks as much as tools to make music.

MyLittleEye and aadvark like this.
  2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

In a YouTube video they can sound identical. In a room, in my hands, through the same amp, my strats and my teles are very different beasts sonically. Blindfold me, and I'll be able to tell them apart without difficulty. The difference is so marked that the same rig that works perfectly with one (pedals & amps + their settings) must be changed and re-set to work its best with the other… or at least, you need to know how to deal with the difference.

Realizing this is what made me understand that YT videos, no matter how honestly and competently made, are approximations of the feeling and sound of an electric guitar rig live. They're useful to get the general idea of how this or that piece of kit might sound, but claims that they demonstrate that [A] sounds exactly like are not to be taken too seriously.

mimmo and aadvark like this.
  3. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

I only ever listened to the neck pickups on this clip and got it right, I've got good headphones though. Neck pickups are what I base guitars on, especially in these comparison clips, I think the neck pickup tells you more about the guitar than any other position.

I think they sound different and the difference is worth getting another guitar.

4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’ve played them all plus many other models by other manufacturers. I can absolutely tell the difference when I play them. Situational bias?
    Maybe.
    So what.

jim777 likes this.
  5. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had the Tele right from the get go

6. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    That’s similar to what I just experienced.

7. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

A factor that no one else has mentioned yet, is that Landon has a quirky sense of humour.

I’m wondering if the follow up video will reveal some sort of prank.

8. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I don't get having two Teles that sound the same :) My Baja has whatever came in it, and my MIJ 50th Anniversary has some odd hand wound set my brother bought off eBay from a guy in Bulgaria or thereabouts a few years back which sound amazing.
    So yea, I guessed the Jazzmaster, which is the only one of the 3 I've never owned :lol:

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep. I basically play an LP these days but when I occasionally bring a Tele, I invariably dial a couple things in the amp to sound closer to "me". And then do the same when I bring the LP to the next rehearsal. And to be honest, the "dialing in" is no more extensive than what I have to do when I bring the same guitar but the temp/humidity/my ears have changed.

albatros and Peegoo like this.
  10. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Let me thrash on them axes. I bet you could easily hear a difference when the guitars are being assaulted properly in real life.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  11. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Most guitars will sound similar with the same guy playing them. The subtle differences between each guitar are only perceived by the player. Most people won’t hear the difference between guitars when you switch if they weren’t watching.

How the guitar reacts and makes you play is what sets them apart. Joe Satriani has hundreds of guitars and records with over a dozen on each album. For his live shows, he mostly plays his custom Ibanez guitars because of their versatility. The point being that Satch sounds like Satch on the recording using a Les Paul and sounds the same live using an Ibanez Iceman.

MilwMark likes this.
  12. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

He thought the 3rd one was a Jaguar. ;)

13. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Many of the classic songs of famous rock groups were recorded on Telecasters and then played on stage with Strats/LPs/etc/etc. Often because a Tele can keep in tune better than the known tuning issues with LPs...

Ergonomics, like the Strat volume knob placement, causes players to pick in different locations between the saddles and neck, producing characteristic tones for that particular model. A Strat can Twang like a Tele if you pick between the bridge pickup and the saddles. Old 'Spaghetti Westerns' used Strats to get that twangy music.

Here is Bill Kirchen copyiing a hundred players and their diverse gear with just a Tele using the knobs, switch, and picking locations.

ladewd likes this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you want to just make things up maybe at least preface with “I wonder if...”. Or something.

When you read the two statements do they even seem logical? Like the bands didn’t want tuning issues in the studio. When they have time to tune whenever needed. But accept supposed “bad tuning” issues on stage. Where they don’t have time to tune as needed.

As a related aside, there are no “known tuning issues” with LPs. Or Strats. Unless someone doesn’t know how to set them up. Or play them properly I guess. It’s just something someone said online and a dedicated few seem intent on repeating as often as possible.

Why shoehorn it into a thread it has nothing to do with?

pippoman likes this.
  15. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nope, I can’t get that sound with a Tele. That’s why I own a Strat - that and the occasional need for a vibrato. Honestly, if not for the vibrato requirement on a few tunes, I’d play Teles exclusively. I always get the sounds I want.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I know they ain't got a whammy bar!

17. pippoman

That sounds a little harsh, but I have to agree. The tuning issues I think he’s referring to are issues with the nut, which you covered when you mentioned the setup. And it’s way off the subject.
    Back to the OP. I didn’t get any of them right in the end. I guessed one right from listening to the clean neck and then changed my mind listening to the middle and bridge. Yeah, I’m that guy. I wanna know how somebody only got two right lol! I mean, what does that leave? Anyway, I still prefer my Telecasters - I owned an early 60s Jazzmaster and the first time I played a Tele I knew it was time for a change. I’m keeping at least one Strat, but all 4 Teles are staying put.
    Oh well, it was fun.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  18. pippoman

So you didn’t get them right either did you Cowboy? LOL! I totally flunked for the reasons you listed. I definitely wouldn’t buy a guitar based on that test, but it was something to do on a rainy day in Memphis I suppose. Now, back to folding socks.

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  19. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

WORD!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.