1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Everything you know about Teles is wrong...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by srolfeca, May 3, 2021.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This video illustrates that differences between guitar sounds may be less than we think.

On the same topic, I gotta laugh whenever I watch a Tim Pierce video.

One fantastic guitar after another, different brands, different pickups, and they all sound the same! His great playing obliterates the differences between them.

2. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

I only listened to neck pup sounds of all three, made my guess, then skipped to the end. I got all three correct, but I readily admit that they're all very similar.
    I think that feel/comfort is the most important factor in selecting a guitar.

3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I find it hard to believe, but I guessed them correctly on the clean NECK positions! Do I win anything?

aadvark, ndcaster and davidchagrin like this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

With two Stratocasters and a Telecaster, my opinion is based on my limited experience. First the Strats. My American Standard with VN pickups sounds pretty different from my FCS ‘69. The VN pickups are not just darker, they’re different. I use mostly the bridge and neck combination on that one, rarely the middle and never the bridge and middle. I use the neck pickup but the neck and middle is too dark for what I play. I use the middle pickup most on the FCS ‘69. I use the neck and middle too. The neck alone is a little bright for my taste. I use the bridge picky with a pick and it sounds a lot like my Telecaster. You should know that I play a clean finger style except for the bridge pickup with a pick for twang. The Strats have been rewired to give me the pickup combinations I described. The bridge pickup in the FCS ‘69 is reverse angle. The pickups in my Telecaster are N4 Noiseless.

I know my guitars. I know what to expect when I pick up any of them. Listening to a recording of other guitars with their sounds colored by different amps, settings, and effects, I can’t tell one from another with any degree of certainty. With my own guitars, I know how to get “my sound” from all of them. My FCS Strat is the most versatile, but I can play anything I play on any of them, including my Gretsch Annie and Gibson SG and still sound like me. This is why I’d never make a purchase decision about a guitar or amp based on a YouTube video. Tone isn’t manipulated, it’s just somebody else’s tone.

aadvark likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That is so true. And that extends to more than types of guitars. No matter what pedals, amps, guitars I use, I still sound distinctly like me. I’ll have to play around with settings a bit, but I‘ll eventually find “my tone” on most setups within reason.

But I still love to experiment with the subtleties of pickup changes, speaker comparisons. Different versions of overdrives and MIAB type pedals.

Sometimes these things contribute to a response or feel in the way I interact with the guitar that I find more inspiring and pleasing to play. It might not even be very audible but I can “feel” it.

A producer buddy, live sound engineer and I did some mic tests on a couple of guitar amps a while back. We had a Bandit mic’d with an SM57 and a Mesa Mark IV mic’d with an e906.

Out of the gate, we set the amps’ tones as close as we could in a iso room. They were still worlds apart. I played, and the sound engineer kept switching my signal from one amp to the other, making small eq changes as he went to try and bring them closer together My producer buddy was listening to the FOH out of view of the board. After maybe 10 minutes of this, he was no longer able to tell them apart, which kinda shocked all of us cause he’s one of those guys with “golden ears”.

Doctor Fauxcaster and Peegoo like this.
  6. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

What a clickbait title :eek: :)

pippoman and srolfeca like this.
  7. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

To my utter amazement, I got it right. Jazz, Tele, Strat.

pippoman likes this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

You can pick out the Tele because it doesn’t have a whammy bar.

9. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I got all three. But I also own all three and use them regularly.

10. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I've said this many times....i can't hear things when i am NOT the person playing it that i can hear clearly when it's ME playing it. When YOU play a guitar or amp things are 10 times more obvious. Take saddles......on a tele especially i can hear differences between saddles of even the same type, like brass from stew mac or callaham or fender. They all sound very different to me. Yet show me a video like this comparing saddles and i can't imagine in my wildest dreams being able to hear the differences. There are a ton of reasons probably many that have never even occurred to me including the fact u r listening to a video that processed and compressed and played thru PC speakers rather than listening to it in the same room, not to mention if he is using a tube amp they don't reveal differences near as much as modelers. I have 4 guitars right now and had up to 8 since i started play?ing modelers, yet in the 40 years of only tube amps before that i usually had 1. Know why? Because when i had more then one i never heard enough difference between them thru a tube amp to enjoy them due to each one's unique character. They sounded close enough that i had no reason to play more then one guitar.

That said, how many times have you read posts where people are having a hard time trying to figure out if the guitar in a recording is s strat or LP!!! Seriously, i see that all the time and the point is how do you figure a video between all fenders is going to not be a lot harder then fender vs LP ? Yet how many people wouldn't hear LP vs strat being lead pipe across the temple obvious?! So not only does this video not surprise me, but those who CAN hear it must have dog ears. Play them yourself tho and you will hear the difference easily, and don't forget that at least 1/2 if not more of what we call tone is not what we hear but FEEL. For example, strats have a softer compressed sort of sag or "give" in thier attack while a tele due to the hardtail bridge has a much different feeling attack. I don't know about you, but i feel that a lot more then hear it.

albatros and Telecaster88 like this.
  11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I dunno, when you just strum a strummy guitar it sounds like a strummy guitar.

Yeah the differences are slim, but this is still completely anecdotal so we can stop acting like it's data. How you play is most important, the mix is just about as important as that, but there are just some things that only my teles can do when I'm playing them, so all that matters to me are my anecdotal pieces of evidence! :lol:

12. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

That video, though having a point is under a bit of cloudy premise because they dont play to the strengths of each instrument.

A strat is set apart by the neck pickup snarl and in-between quack.

A JM does quick-to-compress chime and narrow vibrato ( think surf style) really well.

A tele (with the hardtail and twangy clarity particularly with the bridge pup) does multi string bends and faux-steel guitar stuff that cant be done with a tremolo bridge.

But if you play the same 4 chords and simple single string lick, it doesnt matter which guitar you use.

Its not till you dig in and exploit the character of each instrument that it makes any difference.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  13. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I got all three right instantly based on the neck and middle positions, but the bridge sounds made me question my choices.

But my Teles tend to have Nocaster/Broadcaster-y pickups, my JMs are a '59 and a '64, and my lone "Strat" has an unknown pickup in the bridge, so they may not be representative of the "archetypal" sound of each, if there's even a real consensus about that.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  14. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

Same for me. Strat middle is one pickup, so it's easy to distinguish. And strat bridge + neck is such a great tone, I hacked all my strats to include it. Sounds a lot like a JM in the middle.

15. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

congrats, you also got 2 out of 3. that's a pass.

but seriously, oops, I like the maths of this...
    ok ok 1 out of 3...

but what is a number anyway, and

in our defence: so many variables, tone controls (as you say) pickup heights, strings, touch etc

(it's just hard to believe that a Math genius could get anything wrong)...

Im pretty sure we're right and he's wrong! lol

kbold likes this.
  16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Well, now I know what a Jazzmaster sounds like. Thank you for posting the video.

ChickenKiller and Jim622 like this.
  17. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

8 minutes comparing 3 Fender guitars with single coils? C'mon man.

18. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    Interesting video. I tried it myself with my Am Std HSS Strat and my Gen4 noiseless equipped Elite Tele. They sound completely different
    To me my mid and neck Strat pickups have very distinctive tones.

JL_LI likes this.
  19. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

3 out of 3

20. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I have Strats and Teles, old and newish . .

they behave differently, and sound different. The main difference is looks ..Strat is a funny lookin' thing, lol.

Maguchi and ChickenKiller like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.