Everyone wants my phone number and I'm sick of it

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
Here , it'so easy for retailers to keep your phone /cell phone number. Next day - an email, obviously using the smarts of Gen X . Privacy has gone out the widow this century. Tomorrow I'm buying a new refridgerator. They'll ask for my number, record comes up, Bingo instant recognostion and service. I want to wi the lottery, build a Darryl's house and escape. Aahhh!!

Chandlerman

Tele-Meister
Radio Shack did this for many decades.

iu

65 Champ Amp

Tele-Afflicted
Don't worry, they know where you go.

View attachment 999658

I was having a phone conversation with my sister and the next time I watched you tube, I got an ad for what we were talking about.

It needs to stop if we don't want to end up on a social credit score system.
I think that only happens to people who use the voice robot with the girly name ~ siri?
That wench is always listening.

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
It used to be a points card. Then it was my email. Now everywhere I go they want my phone number. Bought some new Nikes the other week, "what's your phone number?"

Why? I don't plan on calling you to discuss my new purchase and I sure don't want you calling me. Can't I just buy a freaking pair of shoes without being prodded for my personal information?

"It's our rewards system"

Guess what lady.. I have my own rewards system. It's called a JOB! I work, they reward me with money, I buy shoes. Pretty neat system indeed. Take your points and stuff em and stay out of my life and let me just buy a pair of shoes from your stupid store? Thaaaanks...

Within the last week I've started replying with, "no thanks" when the cashier says, "and your phone number?" (Not even in the form of a question - it's an expectation - which makes me even more mad). One responded with, "It's just for our points system." I said, "No, it's for people to phone me, and I don't want your points."

Guess I'm a crank. Whatever, I don't care. They're not getting my friggin phone number for their info farming garbage.
Dude. Be a person. The people you are treating badly have no control over the situation. Don’t be a d!ck to them. If you must be a d!ck, find a manager.

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
Dude. Be a person. The people you are treating badly have no control over the situation. Don’t be a d!ck to them. If you must be a d!ck, find a manager.

I'm gonna be a d!ck.
Yes, they do have control over the situation. They could stop being a minion. They could choose not to. Until then Fair Game for any s**t that comes their way. Maybe someday they'll realize working for evilCorp is not a good life path. Maybe.
:)

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
I'm gonna be a d!ck.
Yes, they do have control over the situation. They could stop being a minion. They could choose not to. Until then Fair Game for any s**t that comes their way. Maybe someday they'll realize working for evilCorp is not a good life path. Maybe.
:)
Maybe someday you’ll realize that being an entitled whiner is pathetic. Maybe.

KingRayBoss

NEW MEMBER!
It used to be a points card. Then it was my email. Now everywhere I go they want my phone number. Bought some new Nikes the other week, "what's your phone number?"

Why? I don't plan on calling you to discuss my new purchase and I sure don't want you calling me. Can't I just buy a freaking pair of shoes without being prodded for my personal information?

Guess what lady.. I have my own rewards system. It's called a JOB! I work, they reward me with money, I buy shoes. Pretty neat system indeed. Take your points and stuff em and stay out of my life and let me just buy a pair of shoes from your stupid store? Thaaaanks...

Within the last week I've started replying with, "no thanks" when the cashier says, "and your phone number?" (Not even in the form of a question - it's an expectation - which makes me even more mad). One responded with, "It's just for our points system." I said, "No, it's for people to phone me, and I don't want your points."

Guess I'm a crank. Whatever, I don't care. They're not getting my friggin phone number for their info farming garbage.
If you're a crank, so am I. I'm sick & tired of businesses all across the country wanting my phone number THEN selling it to other businesses. I was getting catfish from around the world, texts from businesses I don't know, and have no idea WHO sold my phone number to who. With this crazy system, you can't find that out. Who's going to admit to doing that without your permission?

No, they're doing it because everybody else is doing it. Talk about childish games of 'Follow the leader'. But, who is the leader? This government? Google? Apple? Microsoft? Social media? They're all in on it. No doubt this government is turning a blind eye, because they're just as snoopy as anybody else and favor corporations having power, dominance and control.

Then they send you to complicated servers to refuse those permissions (Do Not Sell my Information), and half of them say you can't turn that off. Cute. They can all kiss my... Okay, never mind, but I'm so angry I could punch a wall. I'm cussing people out on the phone who insist I can't use their applications unless I give them my number. Even Steam does it or you can't post or comment. Now, what does a gaming system want with my number? I'll give you a few guesses and the first few don't count 😆

Most people accept this blindly and have no idea what headaches it can cause. Privacy? What's that in this day & age? Next thing it will be facial recognition software, voice recognition, and/or finger prints. Klarna is using facial recognition software and comparing your ID with a snapshot taken on the spot ... just to change your phone number, email address, address, etc. It's already happening folks! 😒

teletail

Friend of Leo's
You know the clerk is only doing what their told to do. Giving them a hassle doesn’t make anyone clever, it really just makes them a jerk. No reason you can’t just say, “Sorry, I don’t give out my phone number.” Repeat as necessary.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

Make up a phony number and give it to them. Less hassle and less excess conversation with employees doing what employers direct them to do.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

Big Brother, 1984, the conspiracy is on!

Danb541

Friend of Leo's

This happened to me yesterday buying $3.00 worth of bolts. First he asks my name, I give it, then my zip code, I give it, then my phone number. I said, "hey man, I just want to buy these bolts".
He stopped asking questions sold me the bolts.

Here's my best one though. My wife got a new car so I bought some new Lic. plate surrounds at Oreilly's Auto parts for like $20. (I don't like the dealership surrounds). I bought black ones, went home and she says she really wanted chrome. So I go back 15 minutes later with my receipt. I have a different checker this time but she's 10' from the guy who sold them to me previously. I tell her, I just want to exchange these for chrome. Set them on the table with my reciept and go grab the chrome ones. When I get back she starts asking my my name and address and phone #. I stop her and say I don't give out personal information that easily and I'd just like to make the exchange (again, I have my receipt). She tells me that is there policy and I have to give my info for an exchange. I say I'd like to talk to a manager. She walks 10' over the the guy I bought them from 15 minutes earlier, they talk very quietly, she comes back and tells me the same thing. I said fine and left with the black ones I had purchased earlier.
I went home, called an 800# I found online. Surprisingly someone answered I said I'd just like to tell you about an experience I just had at one of your locations. I told this woman what happened, gave her the receipt info. She told me to hold and called the store. She talked to the manager. When she got back on with me she said the manager told her he wasn't aware I had a receipt and the woman/cashier I was dealing was new and didn't know what was going on. I told the woman that was BS, she asked him while I was standing there and he had sold them to me 15 minutes earlier. She asked if I'd like to go back for an exchange, I said no, I'd like to return it and buy elsewhere. She said no problem they will have my money when I get there.
So I walk in, the guy has my $20 on the table, I hand him the plate surrounds and he says, hey sorry man, she's new, while she's 10' away. I said to him 'I watched her ask you about the exchange, you had just sold me these" then I turned to her and said "he just threw you under the bus".
I walked out will never go to an Oreilly's again.

I don't why I have such an issue giving out my personal info but I do. My wife thinks it's silly.
For example, we were at a BBQ chain and to get on the waiting list they asked for my cell # so they could text me when my table is ready. I said just say my name, my wife stepped in and gave them her #.

Burn Yesterday

Tele-Meister
It took me way too long to realize that I could just make up a number and tell everyone that one. Actually I tell them a number that I had a few phones ago so I'll always remember it. It's just an ID, who cares about the phone part.