Everyone wants my phone number and I'm sick of it

BrazHog

Tele-Meister
It used to be a points card. Then it was my email. Now everywhere I go they want my phone number. Bought some new Nikes the other week, "what's your phone number?"

Why? I don't plan on calling you to discuss my new purchase and I sure don't want you calling me. Can't I just buy a freaking pair of shoes without being prodded for my personal information?

"It's our rewards system"

Guess what lady.. I have my own rewards system. It's called a JOB! I work, they reward me with money, I buy shoes. Pretty neat system indeed. Take your points and stuff em and stay out of my life and let me just buy a pair of shoes from your stupid store? Thaaaanks...

Within the last week I've started replying with, "no thanks" when the cashier says, "and your phone number?" (Not even in the form of a question - it's an expectation - which makes me even more mad). One responded with, "It's just for our points system." I said, "No, it's for people to phone me, and I don't want your points."

Guess I'm a crank. Whatever, I don't care. They're not getting my friggin phone number for their info farming garbage.

I assume they use it as the unique key for your entry in their database of suckers, I mean esteemed customers. When I go to Super-Mart, I still have to input my phone number from the 90's to get their "buy 3 bags of pork rinds get 1 free" offers.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Soon enough your checkout experience will just be the cashier waving a scanning device over the microchip in your head. Bill paid. Receipt placed in your memory.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Soon enough your checkout experience will just be the cashier waving a scanning device over the microchip in your head. Bill paid. Receipt placed in your memory.

pretty soon, you'll just go into a store and walk out without any card or any clerk, get what you want and leave and get debited accordingly. They are already experimenting with this.. no card, no chip in your head, nuttin.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Over here a national hardware store asks for your email address "so we can email you a receipt"

Saves printing one off which in turn saves trees, apparently. Funny they never arrive.

Doug

Halfords?

I had that the other day, for a bottle of methylated sprirts and some gasket sealant.

I just said 'I don't have one' and she said 'Oh, I'll print you one then'

Unfortunately, I bought the wrong gasket sealant (it wasn't fuel safe) so I took it back for a refund and they gave me the whole "I'll need your details to issue a cash refund" so they ended up getting everything anyway. 😒

I'm getting really sick of it all.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
There used to be five people who knew my phone number, and I was not one of them. The phone is for me to make calls on, not to allow anyone to pester me. These days there are also a dozen friends and bandmates, along with half the hospital departments in the county. I still don't know the number.

If I ever have to grudgingly give a number, I have an old phone which I put a PAYG sim card in. I can let them have that one. Once a month I check the call log and run a search on the caller's numbers. I gave it to dad when he went into hospital once, the only valid calls on that number relate to his treatment. I don't get scam calls on my own number.

When I first bought anything on eBay, I set up a dedicated Hotmail account. I use that address wherever I'm forced to supply an email address. strangely it never gets any junk.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
Google/Microsoft and/or Apple has already got all your info and sold it on, anyway.
Then there's Facebook, Twitter etc... and your smartphone/smart tv/Alexa/Siri/smart watch...

As was said in an episode of NCIS a few years back, (paraphrasing) "With all these gadgets spying on everyone, why would we (CIA) waste time and money bugging anyone, anymore?"

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
I just say something confusing to the checkout person, or unrelated banter. They probably think I'm senile, but I get very few telemarketing calls. One of these days I'd like someone to ask if I was OK, instead of letting a confused old guy toddle off talking about random stuff....

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Retailers have been asking for my phone number for years. I just politely decline.
Prior to credit cards folks printed their phone numbers on checks. Of course no one uses checks any more.
Merchants didn’t collect them for their own database or to sell to other databases. We didn‘t have robocalls either.
Time and enterprise marches on.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
It used to be a points card. Then it was my email. Now everywhere I go they want my phone number. Bought some new Nikes the other week, "what's your phone number?"

Why? I don't plan on calling you to discuss my new purchase and I sure don't want you calling me. Can't I just buy a freaking pair of shoes without being prodded for my personal information?

Guess what lady.. I have my own rewards system. It's called a JOB! I work, they reward me with money, I buy shoes. Pretty neat system indeed. Take your points and stuff em and stay out of my life and let me just buy a pair of shoes from your stupid store? Thaaaanks...

Within the last week I've started replying with, "no thanks" when the cashier says, "and your phone number?" (Not even in the form of a question - it's an expectation - which makes me even more mad). One responded with, "It's just for our points system." I said, "No, it's for people to phone me, and I don't want your points."

Guess I'm a crank. Whatever, I don't care. They're not getting my friggin phone number for their info farming garbage.
just say NO!

colchar

Friend of Leo's

Leaving aside the fact that Nike should be permanently boycotted, just throw a random area code in and tell the cashier that your number is 867-5309. I bet most people working the cash in retail stores will be too young to get the joke.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I don't give my phone number to...anyone, except a few direct family members and good friends. If they ask while making a purchase, "I don't have a phone". I don't answer the phone, ever, unless I know who is calling either. Anyone unknown who calls more than twice without leaving a message gets blocked.

I also refuse to show my receipt on the way out of Walmart, Costco, etc. I just walk on by and ignore all complaints. I just came from the register, no one has the right to "search" me, and I am sure as HELL not standing in line again just to be searched.