Everyone wants my phone number and I'm sick of it

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
It used to be a points card. Then it was my email. Now everywhere I go they want my phone number. Bought some new Nikes the other week, "what's your phone number?"

Why? I don't plan on calling you to discuss my new purchase and I sure don't want you calling me. Can't I just buy a freaking pair of shoes without being prodded for my personal information?

"It's our rewards system"

Guess what lady.. I have my own rewards system. It's called a JOB! I work, they reward me with money, I buy shoes. Pretty neat system indeed. Take your points and stuff em and stay out of my life and let me just buy a pair of shoes from your stupid store? Thaaaanks...

Within the last week I've started replying with, "no thanks" when the cashier says, "and your phone number?" (Not even in the form of a question - it's an expectation - which makes me even more mad). One responded with, "It's just for our points system." I said, "No, it's for people to phone me, and I don't want your points."

Guess I'm a crank. Whatever, I don't care. They're not getting my friggin phone number for their info farming garbage.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It used to be a points card. Then it was my email. Now everywhere I go they want my phone number. Bought some new Nikes the other week, "what's your phone number?"

Why? I don't plan on calling you to discuss my new purchase and I sure don't want you calling me. Can't I just buy a freaking pair of shoes without being prodded for my personal information?

Guess what lady.. I have my own rewards system. It's called a JOB! I work, they reward me with money, I buy shoes. Pretty neat system indeed. Take your points and stuff em and stay out of my life and let me just buy a pair of shoes from your stupid store? Thaaaanks...

Within the last week I've started replying with, "no thanks" when the cashier says, "and your phone number?" (Not even in the form of a question - it's an expectation - which makes me even more mad). One responded with, "It's just for our points system." I said, "No, it's for people to phone me, and I don't want your points."

Guess I'm a crank. Whatever, I don't care. They're not getting my friggin phone number for their info farming garbage.
Sir, sir, may I have your attention? With an attitude like that, there's a real danger you may NEVER get your car warranty extended!

Cadillac_Mike

Tele-Holic
download.jpeg

TeleTucson

Friend of Leo's

Telling them, "no thanks" is very easy and is rarely met with any push-back. Sure, they'd ask for your SSN if they thought you'd give it to them. If it's an order, then they need some way to contact you - but email is usually both preferred and sufficient. Get over your guilt and just say, "no thanks".

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Telling them, "no thanks" is very easy and is rarely met with any push-back. Sure, they'd ask for your SSN if they thought you'd give it to them. If it's an order, then they need some way to contact you - but email is usually both preferred and sufficient. Get over your guilt and just say, "no thanks".

See paragraph #4.

I do and have. On a couple occasions it was met with slight resistance/sass

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
The people selling internet and re-selling electricity in Walmarts?

I tell them im Amish or that I run an extension cord from my elderly neighbors basement or that I'm stealing my neighbors internet because his password is "password". Oh, or the time I told them I live in the store but can't have bills sent to this address.

I recently found out I owe my chiropractor $6 because my card on file expired. Apparently, they'd left me voicemail, but I ignore all of them I don't have saved (except local PD for work related stuff, but they have the same first 3 digits...). Why? Everyone is trying to buy a property I've never owned, or sell a warranty, etc....

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
When people fish for information, I fish back. Yes, my name is Jonathan fuquin jinglehymerschmidtte. I'll spell it for you. Whats yours? My ss number is.... tell me yours first. That too many digits. Mine is 42. What's your address? I need to speak to your supervisor!

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
When people fish for information, I fish back. Yes, my name is Jonathan fuquin jinglehymerschmidtte. I'll spell it for you. Whats yours? My ss number is.... tell me yours first. That too many digits. Mine is 42. What's your address? I need to speak to your supervisor!

That's what I should say next time, "only if I can have yours." Man or woman, just to see what they'd say.

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Give a fake number. A gal I was dating did that. Once when some business asked she gave a wrong number and I said, “But that’s not…owwwww….” She stomped on my instep before I could finish. She told me later that as a single woman living alone she never gave her actual number.

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
never give a 'fake' number, just don't give one at all. I get too many calls from places where the 'fake' number was mine .. very annoying. It happens with email addresses as well. For email there is plenty of 'one time use' (or limited time) email services out there, stop using mine 😠 "Just Say No" works for everything .. except music purchases. I've said no a few times (ok, more than a few times) and somehow a week later what I said no to showed up. I need to listen to myself more often :p

dougbgt6

Tele-Meister
Over here a national hardware store asks for your email address "so we can email you a receipt"

Saves printing one off which in turn saves trees, apparently. Funny they never arrive.

Doug

swarfrat

Tele-Holic
Don't worry. They'll stop asking any day now