1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Everyone is replaceable

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Apr 21, 2021.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Before I retired, and before my journey to Academialand..

I was (right sized, re-organized, downsized, continuous improvementized, ebitda-ized, normalized, JIT, six sigmaized, etc, etc)

1955 and VonBonfire like this.
  2. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I worked with people who thought they could not be replaced.

They tended to be the ones who ended up with heart attacks and were replaced.

1955 likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Seriously- HR is the worst- they are the scourge of the modern workforce, and they should be rounded up and fed to pigs or something

Maybe sort of a moot point as they generally end up ironically eaten up by their own crap they've forced on countless others over the years

1955 and WalthamMoosical like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Let me tell you about TPS reports...

1955 and NC E30 like this.
  5. brown2bob

brown2bob TDPRI Member

I did the corporate grind in consumer electronics until 2019. Many up/downs over the years and battles with stack ranking etc. Made good $, but in hindsight question the stress related impact to the wife, kids and self. Still hitched but there were some tough times over the years. Currently doing my own self-employment gig until I can afford to retire... ;) Highly recommend being your own boss if possible. Everyone can be replaced unfortunately if they are only focusing on the bottom line. Perhaps our wonderful government could provide some tax advantage to larger corporations to incentivize retaining employees?

1955 likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

HR are just clerks...they are directed by the board or other executives.. imho

1955, bcorig, Obsessed and 1 other person like this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yes, everyone's just a soldier and they have no responsibility for what they do :rolleyes:
    HR guys mkae relatively big money, because it's often dirty and shameful work

beanluc, 1955 and uriah1 like this.
  8. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

We are cattle
    We'd make great pets

1955, Harry Styron and VonBonfire like this.
  9. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

I won't be that offended guy.

Big respect for guys who toughed out the corporate world to support their families. I refuse to knuckle under for stupid rules and regs. This is why I have spent my life in lower income brackets. That and the pursuit of music. By the grace of God and a couple souls who were better people than I am I somehow was able to achieve middle class living standards.

'

Speak for yourself, I'm a wild man.

1955 and Obsessed like this.
  10. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Jack Welsh is practically worshipped by managers today; he is quoted frequently with all sorts of witty manager-speak. The former CEO of General Electric, he made an incredible amount of money (for himself and the stockholders, not necessarily the company itself—GE today is a shell of its former self). Anyhow, one of his principles was that every year the company should fire the bottom performers in the organization and replace them. Never mind the personal toll on the employees, or the cost to replace them. Just fire them and replace them... they are merely “resources “ that can be swapped out like strings on your guitar. Find better ways to utilize them? Phoeey. Consider that maybe it’s their supervisor who actually is at fault? Nah. Train them better? Too much money.

11. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I realized after 15 years of work and maybe 8 jobs that I don't work well with others. The longest I worked was about 4 years before becoming self employed.

The worst job I ever had was at an allstate insurance company. The guy in the cubicle next to me would mutter about shooting the place up. I got fired after a week because they recorded the phone calls I made and while I was above average sales (you just to meet a daily quota) they didn't tolerate small talk. I didn't want to read off a script because it felt like a robot and I was having the same exact conversation 20 time a day.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  12. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

It's "the board" and their ever increasing want of profits...."the board" is nameless, faceless, and a group of people, so there is no one person to take responsibility, and many of "the board" have zero interaction with their employees. "The board" makes if very easy to do very mean things. "It's the boards decision, not mine" is one of their favorite cop-out phrases.

They are bean counters, and other than profits, they have zero interest in the company.

1955 likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The most ridiculous part of the "rank and yank" management method is that it's supposed to be objective. Instead, it brings out the most toxic work relationships with backstabbing and brownnosing with everyone performing maximum CYA and blame-shifting to avoid the ax.

kingofdogs1950, 1955 and Ronzo like this.
  14. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

A local car dealership had a great sales manager. He had been there for years. They brought in the brother of the owner to be GM. He had automotive background
    Jack, the sales manager, made them a very profitable company. Under him all the sales people made a very good living

Bill, the GM, got involved with a group that convinced him that the highly paid Jack and the sales team were making too much money. Hire fresh, young blood for less, they said.

Jack and the sales crew were terminated and this young (basically clueless) sales manager was brought in.

Long story short - the dealership became over leveraged, lost the fleet sales to Ford (police department territory wide fir one), and eventually went bankrupt and are closed

Jack is retired living the good life with his wife in Florida

Everyone is replaceable. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s not

1955 and glenlivet like this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

You mean, there's an issue, with a debt ratio of 30T/3.8T ~ 7.9, or owing 7.9 times your annual gross? Like buying a 790K house, on 100k annual income?

And you mean, there's an issue with spending 4.8T this year with only 3.8T projected income, so you are spending 23% more than you bring in, spending 123K on your 100k salary, and spending that extra 23k on the house you can't afford?

And you mean, if you continue to spend at that rate, you will no longer be able to service your debt in a few years?

And you mean, in order to avoid default and bankruptcy, you will need to find a supplemental income to equal that spending increase every year? I guess that's not a problem:

[​IMG]

We are in fact, being farmed. And have been for a while.

16. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

They puffed out their chests and talked but I never saw it happen. Instead the bottom 10 got no increases and were essentially dared to leave on their own.
    Here's where Welch got the idea I'm sure.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_(Roman_army)

1955 likes this.
  17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

That sounded great, like cutting deadwood from trees. However, the analogy is flawed, because your x-10% workforce has to replace the 10%. With other companies also shucking 10%, guess who you are hiring to replace your 10%? That's right sports fans, you are hiring your competitors bottom 10%, lol.

Dilbert lives...

kingofdogs1950, 1955, Ronzo and 2 others like this.
  18. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Sales is about relationships. Period.
    Sounds like the company got what they deserved.
    I like when karma works out like that......

1955 likes this.
  19. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

The problem with large companies is that there is little long term thinking. Yea, you replace the guy that's been there 25 years and making $150,000 with a younger person that's been there 5 years making $75,000 and on the books you've saved $75,000. But the reality is that the long timer often saves money through experience and contacts; money that doesn't show up directly on the books.

The other thing I've seen as a manager is that when you treat people well, they'll work their asses off for you. They are exponentially more productive than disgruntled workers. Again, that's not a line item that somebody can point to and quantify, so it's not valued by most big companies. When I was a manager at a big IT company, I considered my job to advocate for the people that worked for me and get them the largest salaries possible and remove any impediments to their work. Back when 17" monitors were the norm, I got a handful of my most productive workers 21" monitors paid for out of my own pocket. I had some of the most productive teams in the company.

It aint rocket science.

1955, ThermionicScott and Wallo Tweed like this.
  20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Man, I thought this thread was going to be about pod people...

1955 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.