1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Everyone is replaceable

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Apr 21, 2021.

1. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I could speculate but do not wish to be suspended. See PM.
    Edit: OK, I can’t. Oh well.

1955 likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I worked for a national company many moons ago. The office manager had a new car, a gorgeous wife, a big fine looking home, and once remarked that even the underwear he was wearing beneath his nice three piece suit were the result of his credit card. This was way before credit cards became common place. I was invited to his house one time, when I got there he showed me around. The only furniture in that big old house was in his living room, (sparse at that) and a bed in his bedroom. That was all there was in the house. He was as happy as if he had good sense! I don't think I have ever met anyone quite like that. He was all show, and I mean all.

KyAnne, 1955 and bcorig like this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Not only is everyone replaceable, but everyone will be replaced, without exception. I see some folks don't get that yet.

matrix, Bobbyoso, loopfinding and 4 others like this.
  4. bcorig

KyAnne and 1955 like this.
  5. bcorig

$30T Debt is the epitome of “all show” wouldn’t you say?

KyAnne, 1955 and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

Some companies behave this way a lot. Most do it at least a little.

However, I’ve worked for the Federal government and for a non-prof, and I’ve collaborated with and/or consulted for a lot of agencies at all levels. I can tell you that it’s not just for-profit companies. A lot of organizations under-value their people.

I’m lucky enough to work for a company that is generally pretty good in this regard.

aging_rocker and 1955 like this.
  7. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

No one is replaceable. Each person has a unique genetic blueprint. Even identical twins have different fingerprints. To see it otherwise kinda cheapens human life. Now if we are talking about just putting a warm body behind a desk then yeah in that regard people are replaceable. Aside that I have many people in my life that can't be replaced and I hope all your lives are the same!

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You can't replace Merle and George, just isn't going to happen. Some things really are one of.

KyAnne, 1955 and VonBonfire like this.
  9. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I tried being self-employed, but every time I called in sick, I just KNEW I was lying!

Ronzo, surf_jimi, dougstrum and 3 others like this.
  10. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

Work on developing marketable and lucrative skills and then let the companies/corporations do what they do. At that point things become a lot less personal. After a while you'll know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. Find peace, joy, love, fulfillment and all the good things in life outside of your work life. Bust your hump, make a dime and come home and crank that amp!

1955 likes this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

we were replaceable and were replaced before there were companies or cities or economics.

it is how it works.

we are animals with pretensions to things like morality, but they are just pretensions.

KyAnne, 1955, ThermionicScott and 3 others like this.
  12. bcorig

“Through the mansions of fear, through the mansions of pain.”
    As @getbent said “It’s always been that way”

1955 likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I worked for consulting firms in between working for two major corporations. From a working environment perspective, it is far better to be outside helping out than inside trying to swim. BUT, it is far more lucrative to be working within a corporation. I enjoyed my career and thrived to work hard, so consulting fit me better, but if you just want to make money and cruise through life with lots of fringe benefits, you probably should work for a corporation.

1955 likes this.
  14. getbent

I'd add a thought you have shared several times. Find what makes you 'on fire' to accomplish things. Find the thing that when you get in bed you can't wait for the morning to go figure it out and make it work.... passion! the days fly by and filled with rich experiences (good and terrible) but you are so engaged it is worth it.

15. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I have worked at several small companies and a couple large corporations. Every small company did all of the bad things the large corporations did.

16. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

It is not people, it is corporate mentality and it is partially political so the explanation ends here. Americans have been given the corporates Kool aide. They are intertwined in every facet of our society and they control the scene. Your choices are limited, at any time, about anything.

1955 and getbent like this.
  17. getbent

you think? hey man, go travel to some of the least corporate places on the planet and see how they treat their brethren.

the essential american soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.
    -dh lawrence

Read any of the accounts of life before 'the machine' and you'll find.. it was even MORE brutal. We have it the EASIEST of anyone at any time since we got here....

18. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I worked at a company like that in my youth but I couldn't afford a house or new car. Dirt poor insurance plan and no retirement benefits at ALL. I was the 33rd person to quit in 33 months (omen?), I counted.
    Then hit the corporate world. Great benefits, pay but all the negative aforementioned in this thread transpired. I got out at 59 years and 8 months. What a ride all this was! I am very comfortable in retirement. At 66, I reflect that I had to go thru such hell to finally get comfortable!

1955, brown2bob and Telekarster like this.
  19. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

In some ways, yes. In other ways, no.

People are more depressed and dissatisfied with life now. Males have less testosterone and grip strength than the previous generation. Women less fertile than previously. Easier to get food, to live with luxuries that only kings and queens of the past would've had? Yes. Easier to deal with society and the noxious blast of media, culture, and politics? No.

Easy living hasn't brought the satisfaction it promised.

1955 and Cyberi4n like this.
  20. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

bang-on the money. There’s so much more I’d add to this, but I can’t as it would likely “offend” someone I’ve never met who’s likely to take my comment far too “personally” and complain to someone about their “space”, and I just can’t be doing with it all.

Re: the OP’s comment. I don’t disagree with any of it, bar the bit about companies being the success they are based on the work their staff do. I have to say I don’t agree with that.

staff mainly do as they’re told, by and large, and concentrate on one area of the business.

I’m a fairly well-paid software developer. Front end. I could argue that my organisation is the success it is because of the hard work I’ve put into the website. But I’d be wrong.

The company is what it is because of the decisions made by the directors operating with full business knowledge and experience in the sector we exist in, and the reaction to current past and future trends. And the risks they are willing to take in order to achieve the goals they set. I just do as I’m told, have limited to no knowledge of other parts of the business or of the operating environment both internal and external. I don’t need any of that to do my job, and whilst I appreciate that customers for say Amazon get their products because the pickers work hard to pick them off the shelves, the business is NOT where it is today BECAUSE of the pickers.

I DO agree that Businesses should by and large treat their staff better, if only for the fact that hiring and firing is a needless expense, and domain knowledge is always lost when someone leaves.

1955 and VonBonfire like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.