1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Everyone is replaceable

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Apr 21, 2021.

1. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I was going through the “2 weeks” thread, and I am happy for the OP, but some of the other comments really gave me food for thought about the way corporate treats employees, and vice versa.

Just reading the follow-up posts concerning liability protocol reinforces why I never wanted a corporate job.

First of all, I have limited experience working within a company, so obviously my opinion is likely misinformed or naive, so there’s that.

However, I feel that rewarding excellent employees with distrust, viewing people as numbers or bodies, believing everyone is replaceable, it turns my stomach. Kicking a good and loyal worker to the curb with the mentality of “It’s just business, nothing personal” ticks me right off.

I keep hearing how payroll (employees) is the largest drain (overhead) for a company. Why don’t larger companies reward good performers with respect, trust, loyalty, and good remuneration? They are the ones who are ultimately responsible for the growth of a company. Why isn’t there at least an attempt to create a family atmosphere for so many of these huge companies?

Probably because they are too large.

My hats off to those of you who have had to put up with so much in order to be a good provider and parent. I know that the cost of living to raise a family, send kids through school, own a reliable vehicle, a modest house, etc. drives many people to endure all manner of impersonal indignities, and also for many, these types of trade-offs don’t bother them in the grand scheme of things.

It saddens me, though, when I think of years of long commutes, computer screens, restricted/censored communication, etc.

I realize some here have/had great employers and I also realize that you gotta do what you gotta do.

One of my family members dedicated his life to a small software company. They were bought out by a mammoth. He exceeded all goals every quarter for years and was an ideal employee. He was promoted and promoted again, and he still succeeded.

But, they just let him go for no reason that I could gather other than how much he was making. He earned them millions a year, and they dropped him like it was nothing. He treated his team like family and helped them so much, it broke his heart.

He was quickly offered a high position at a smaller company and has quickly put together an excellent team and has grown the company exponentially in a short amount of time, because he is a man with the combination of business acumen, wisdom, integrity, and moral character.

I hope he stays at the smaller one.

I just don’t know what has gone so wrong in this world that people treat others the way they do.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    kLyon, jman72, 8barlouie and 14 others like this.
  2. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

Corporate blah blah blah is all about the bottom line; nothing else.
    Corporate blah blah blah doesn't give two ***** if you are human, if you have a family, or any other human attributes.
    It's all about the bottom line; nothing else matters.
    Nothing new to see here; move along ..................

Mike M, JRapp, Telekarster and 8 others like this.
  3. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

But what I don’t understand is that they would likely have a better bottom line if they treated people like human beings.

kLyon, PacificChris, stepvan and 5 others like this.
  4. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

Everyone is not replaceable... I've seen more than a few successful companies... auger straight into the ground when they pissed off the wrong person.

I'm not implying that I was ever that type of glue....... Because I wasn't.

But I have seen it first-hand.

And yeah... MAYBE they were replaceable.... But the Companies in question didn't have the time and/or the capitol to find said "replacement". :p

JL_LI, 1955, Fretting out and 2 others like this.
  5. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Yep, but they just don't get it.

This is what happens when you let greed and selfishness become virtues.
    The world is broken, but I don't know how to fix it.

JJLC, jman72, PhoenixBill and 3 others like this.
  6. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

Not all companies are the same. I think there are a lot of places where people are treated fairly and lots of companies recognize people's work and don't treat them as numbers. It's really about people. That said, it's not a good thing if an employee is irreplaceable, what if he decides to leave? What if something happens to him? A company that has these sort of irreplaceable people is badly run.

7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

You trying to unionize???

8. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

One thing I know, from a couple years ago, once you make a good salary after years of working (25 in my case) the new folks don’t care when they draw the chopping line... sucks, but get back up and do it, I did am and I am happier now!

1955 likes this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I wrote a comment, but it was awfully political so I stopped. Suffice to say that corporations are not people and have never "cared about their people" - you can go as far back as you like, corporations are money-making legal entities. Don't expect anything from them they were not designed to do.

JRapp, Cyberi4n, Gevalt and 6 others like this.
  10. pedro58

pedro58 Tele-Meister

Traditional economics is about profit, not people. It would take a big paradigm shift to change that.

1955 likes this.
  11. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

scook, Deeve and 1955 like this.
  12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have always had a self employed attitude. "I'm working for me and the check that I'm bringing home." I always made my best effort, regardless, but in my mind the job was just as replaceable as I was. And, yes, anyone can be replaced, just not always successfully.

MrClint and 1955 like this.
  13. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Corporations are organizations who by and large exist to leverage collective effort into profit. No shame in that game.

Organizations can have many types of architectures, but by far the most common is the rational organizational structure (the military is a good example of this). They do this for a reason, and I totally get that.

My current org is global and has 56,000 employees. I'm not sure it could be organized differently and be as or more efficient.

What I find interesting are the newer natural and open systems organizational structures. I personally think these forms of organizing are the way forward. In 50 years, most of the unitized work done in a rational organization is going to be automated anyway.

kingofdogs1950 and 1955 like this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I retired on January 1 after 35 years. It was a heluva ride. I was fortunate enough to have developed a unique skill set needed by my employer. I had help inside the company over a few rough spots. I continued working through downsizing. I was one of a protected few when all employees had to reapply for their jobs. Working inside a corporate structure is neither all good nor all bad. I’ll say this. Forgot about loyalty. The company feels none toward its employees. There are those who are needed and those who are not. My only loyalty to my employer was to protect confidential information. What I accomplished was for my own satisfaction. I gamed the system where I could for my personal benefit. As I see it, we had a commensal relationship. We fed off each other. My employer could have gotten more from me had they given more consideration to my and other employee’s needs but that’s not the way of organizations with feudal hierarchical cultures. I’m glad I’m retired. When I look back, it’s on my experiences outside, not inside.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Two letters: HR

bgmacaw and 1955 like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've worked for big companies, and small ones. I had the best job I ever had at the end of my working life, and worked at it longer than any of my jobs and the company was comprised of only 28 people. We were too small for deadwood, you either produced, or you were down the road. Everyone for the most part were long term employees. The boat was small enough, that if an oar was sticking up in the air it was pretty easily noticed. If it didn't go back in the water pretty quickly, the guy pulling the oar went over the side.

Large companies have more than their share of Wallys, they become quite good at doing nothing. Some are able to hang on doing nothing until they retire, and then find, they have already been doing nothing for years. I worked for a large company one time that had a guy walking around with a clipboard taking notes. When asked what he was doing he would reply, I'm the company spy. He wasn't joking, after about a year, one day he took all of his little notes to the big boss, and they fired a gaggle of people without so much as checking the company spy's notes to see if his observations were true or had merit. He actually was a pretty decent guy who unfortunately passed at a fairly young age. We ended up living not far from each other on the same street before his passing.

I can't say whether a big company is always a bad place to work, I can just say I never worked for a big company where I didn't feel lucky to have made it through the day without getting sacked. I don't see how that can be healthy for employees or employers. I learned early on, I preferred being a larger duck in a small pond, as opposed to being a small duck in a pond I couldn't see across.

1955 likes this.
  17. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I worked for a large company and was let go. The day I left my stress level dropped drastically. I went to work for a small company with a lot less stress. I have talked with others who left or were let go and none miss the environment.

18. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Late stage capitalism at it's finest.

JJLC, jman72, PhoenixBill and 2 others like this.
  19. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I worked for a conglomerate electrical manufacturing corporation for 12 years, mostly in sales leadership and as an "individual contributor". The company was positioning to spin off part of our platform and in order to dress the books vs forecast they laid off nearly every salaried salesperson on my team, including me, earning over an arbitrary threshold. The revenue of the business unit at that time was around $900M. When I left I redirected more than half of my clients to my new employer. Not my problem if they didn't make me sign a noncompete. Because we're all pretty close and the industry isn't that large we estimated that the roughly $1.2M salary reduction saved by the layoff resulted in a maintained loss of more than $250M business, typically booked at 45% margin average. The $1.2M salary reduction cost $112M +/- 5% for that year. And that bleeding hasn't been restored. If anything it has magnified.

It took me fewer than 2 weeks to find another job because all my competitors knew me by reputation. That division booked $620M in 2019, $280M below 2017. I still laugh about it when I run into former colleagues. And to this day, 5 years later, I still occasionally have former clients reach out through LinkedIn to shift their business. Oh, yeah, forgot to say the glaring and instant revenue loss scared away both companies doing due diligence to acquire the segment. And now if they can ever find a buyer it will be at fire sale price. (hahahahahahaha)

Was it worth it?

The only 2 things I learned; I can get another job with a pay raise pretty easily, and there is absolutely no value in loyalty to my employer. I feel a little sad saying the last one because I was taught to be a loyal employee. But why? It is not reciprocated.

jvin248, JJLC, buster poser and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.