Everyday stuff in my neighborhood.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Over the past week or two there have been many stories on national and local television news about gator sightings in neighborhoods, and most of them are here in Sarasota county. Trust me, if you live here it’s no big deal. It’s mating season and they are moving around, but they are always here. This one is in my neighborhood.

Massive gator spotted on Florida golf course

Last edited:

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Over the past week or two there have been many stories on national and local television news about gator sightings in neighborhoods, and most of them are here in Sarasota county. Trust me, if you live here it’s no big deal. It’s mating season and they are moving around, but they are always here. This one is in my neighborhood.

Massive gator spotted on Sarasota golf course

Before I teed off on the first hole at a local golf course, the marshal said, "Play right; there's a gator on the left". Not unusual, but the funny thing was, the gator must have been sunning himself all morning because he was surrounded by golf balls no one cared to retrieve.

The name of the course is "Gator Lakes".

Last edited:

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Been thinking about moving down that way. I'm getting pretty tired or the wet/cold/dark/gray NW. Every time I'm on the gulf coast I think to myself "self, why do you not live here?" I think I have the wife convinced to move, but I won't be showing my kids any of the news stories about gators walking around in public. I'm pretty sure gators are like quicksand: They are both something that as a kid you are CONVINCED is going to be a much bigger part of your life than it ends up being.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I found them rather annoying. There were some nice twisting roadways that seemed perfect for honing slalom motoring skills. Rounding the corner... sure enough a moving speed bump.
There are no “nice twisting roadways” around here. Just a flat grid pattern and bumper to bumper traffic. Alligators do stop traffic in our subdivision, though.

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
Just a flat grid pattern and bumper to bumper traffic.
I forgot, all of California has moved to Fl. hah. I wish more would go. (sorry)

The drive I was on went from Leesburg to the shuttle launch all on back roads. Mostly flat but some nice driving scenery. Reminded me of stereotypical moonshine roads. Luckily I didn't hit any of the speed bumps. It would have tore up that rental car.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
Just saw my first one (and the next 8) yesterday. Not every day for me!

Attachments

• PXL_20220420_203115507.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220420_203115507.MP.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 12

Doctor of Teleocity
When I was a kid, people threw marshmallows to them at Hilton Head, this was before it was that big of a destination. There were little lagoons around the hotel. One got a poodle, and that was the end of that, for the most part. I saw some driving through the Everglades as well. Formidable. Crocodiles, even more so.

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
When I was a kid, people threw marshmallows to them at Hilton Head, this was before it was that big of a destination. There were little lagoons around the hotel. One got a poodle, and that was the end of that, for the most part. I saw some driving through the Everglades as well. Formidable. Crocodiles, even more so.

I haven't had the opportunity to visit much of the Southeast, but Hilton Head is also where I spotted my first gators. They are abundant in the small lagoons and creeks that litter the area... often within 20 yards (or less!) of where many vacationers are just walking around. I observed that those who realize this, just shrug... also, alligator meat is found on many menus (not my first choice, but it's OK). I reckon that's how the peace is made around them parts.

* The poodle herd needs to be thinned anyway.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
‘Gators can drive? You guys better keep your eye on the rear view mirror!

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
When I worked at Lighthouse Reef resort out of Belize we had a lot of salt water crocks. Usually, the second night when we had guests, we’d grab flashlights and head out to the lagoon after dinner. Dozens and dozens of eyes reflecting off the flashlights into the water. Beautiful and eerie all at the same thing.
One of the staff carried a bag with golf ball sized rocks. The tourists took turns tossing them in their general direction but off to the side. Eyes moving in the direction of the splash got some laughter, ooohs, and a general good time