Everyday carry a fixed blade knife?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Where is the Crocodile Dundee quote in here

My father gave me a lockable folding knife in childhood I carried everywhere, even during university whilst studying criminal law. Someone pointed out to me it is illegal here so it sits on my desk now

I used to like getting fine pocket knives for tasks but craft knives get sold here 8 for £1 so I have dozens in my garage scattered everywhere and never get to use a penknife

stormsedge likes this.
  2. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

OP: Check out an A.G. Russell Woodswalker. I've got a feeling this might be just what you're looking for.

3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

ol henry butcher knives are an inexpensive woodsman's workhorse. i used to buy them for around 7 - 8 bucks

stormsedge likes this.
  4. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

Look for a Green River knife cheap as hell and 1095 carbon steel

5. carpenter

carpenter TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Remington folding upland game for 40 years.

6. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Oh you said "fixed blade knife" my bad.

KWal likes this.
  7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I carry a Swiss army knife. On my belt. Since I live in Idaho you could carry an ak47, 40 Cal. On your belt. Right next to that 12 inch K-Bar. :confused:

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like to pack a broad sword when taking a trip to the grocery store but my cargo shorts give it away.

9. guitphil

guitphil TDPRI Member

i only do fixed when i'm in the boondocks but always have a folding on me or nearby. i like the Kershaw speedsafe.

telestratosonic likes this.
  10. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

That's why I carry a folder that can be concealed. I prefer flying under the radar. My current every day is a Mel Pardue designed Benchmade D2 that my eldest son gave me last year for father's day.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I must have worn out, broken or been relieved by police of half a dozen 110s and of course they are the original one hand opening knife as well as being the esteemable Chuck Manson autograph model.
    I also wore through easily 100 pants pockets carrying them after noticing that women often saw the belt carry and looked scared.

My one Chris Reeve is a first of the production P Sebenza and I cannot bring myself to carry it. Good price at Kittery Trading Post in the used collectibles section just too nice to pass up.

When I discovered Benchmade I was overjoyed and put good wear on a bunch of them which tends to result in their losing the grippy texture.
    One Benchmade with a solid aluminum handle and rolling lock I had to bench because it was slippery and sleek. Wet hands and a slippery sharp knife is just no good.

12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You do have to be aware of the laws in your region before doing so. I worked with a guy who was arrested for a concealed weapon because his shirt was over his belt knife at a Home Depot. The Sheriff was behind him at the checkout and I guess couldn't mind his own damn business. I did carry a 3 inch blade back when I was installing carpets, but I haven't done it since I switched to a Leatherman in a leather holster....just more useful.

Greggorios and telemnemonics like this.
  13. telemnemonics

In Maine you can stroll into Starbucks with your pistol, rifle and machete but can’t carry an assisted opener.

In NH (AKA live free or die) an officer can take your folder if the blade exceeds the width of his or her palm.

Not to discuss but it’s funny and I ended up sticking with my Emerson folder because it has a big enough handle to grip solidly but only a 3.25” blade which is shorter than any officers palm.

For Boston or NYC I prefer a Spyderco import Byrd brand of very small size to avoid pissing off authorities. Seems good to obey the law and the times I’ve defended myself with a knife I’ve not had problems with Police when they showed up. Respect!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  14. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I carry a folding Case Stockman; it replaced another smaller Stockman I had earlier. Carry it every day but try desperately NOT to take it to the airport; the previous knife was confiscated by TSA--an accident, I assure you.

Love this knife. Every man should carry a pocket knife; I'd say I use it at least once every day.

15. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I can't quit chuckling...:lol:

Jim622 and Frodebro like this.
  16. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I find a lot of food for thought here. There are those who just state their knife preference, others (like myself) who consider them needed tools they don't want to be caught without, to others who look at them as weapons, which I rarely ever do. Pretty interesting diversity here. Good thread.

17. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

No. Use to, and then it was usually a Grohmann #3 jump knife. Now it's still a Grohmann, but it's the mini Russell folder, love it.

Honorable mention to the 119 Buck Special, and the little Buck 102, classic knives, still affordable, and very usable straight blades. Still have the 102.

18. telemnemonics

I’ve carried a lot of Case knives and probably collected them, buying and selling as well. I still like them but with the advent of new steels and designs I’m totally converted to modern folders.
    Still use tube amps though!

On a trip to Berlin I packed a smallish Benchmade in stowed baggage but returning I forgot so gave it to my FIL to hang on to.
    I also gave him a Swiss Army knife which he still carries years later after a life with no carry knife.

dunehunter likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

Is that jump knife the kind where the blade slides through the handle rather than pivoting?
    I almost bought a nice vintage I guess called a paratrooper knife but balked at the $100 and it was sold. Very cool.

20. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

From my own experience, and from working with a lot of law enforcement, if you can express why a knife is needed for your work, it is usually enough for a reasonable law man. A lot of that goes to your presentation and articulation. Don't be sporting your gang colors and be holding it to an old lady's throat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.