Everybody needs a DS-1 pedal

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Tele-friend, Oct 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

And I just thought they were lunch bulky…

Skyhook and PaulNYC like this.
  2. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

i don't.

radiocaster likes this.
  3. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

lol. Must have hit it twice lol. Didn’t catch that.

4. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Holic

In order to get experience selling pedals on craigslist?

(I kid. I have one. It's not my favorite but it gets another try from time to time.)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Skyhook likes this.
  5. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Afflicted

Mine's in the mail(hopefully(NPD pending)). ;)

Tele-friend likes this.
  6. arlum

arlum Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

The DS-1 has been the introduction to Distortion pedals for many players. What you get for what you pay is excellent. A lot of Les Paul players liked them because of their bright top end. They can really bring a dark sounding guitar to life. I remember Gary Moore had a DS-1 on his pedal board from time to time for use with his famous Les Paul.

Tele-friend likes this.
  7. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

DS-1 was the first pedal I ever bought, when I was a kid in 1980. My mom took me to the music store to get it and I’ll never forget her remarking to the salesman that she can’t understand why anyone would pay that much money to make the guitar sound worse. He just smiled and gave me a subtle wink. I don’t have that pedal but I still have a DS-1 on my board.

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Back in the Summer 1976, just before College, when I got my first guitar and amp, a month later, I bought a Cry Baby wah.

I'm of course just learning to play, sounding horrible and loud, and my dad would literally yell at me ( momentarily angry!) for using that pedal! He thought I was crazy.

Sparky472 and Tele-friend like this.
  9. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

I guess you dont really need a DS-1 if you are happy with your rig. But here is the thing, this pedal is much more than just a distortion pedal. In TPS show, that I posted, the guys say that some use this pedal as a clean booster. Besides using it as distortion, I use it sometimes as a low gain overdrive (great for blues), other times as a high gain soloing booster. I can easily make it sound almost as fuzz. The dynamic range of this pedal is unbelievable. With a slight turn of guitar volume knob it cleans up really well.

It stacks beautifully with a mid humped overdrive, like SD1 or 'green overdrives';).

Yes! In general many prefer to use it with an amp that already has some 'love' going on. With a really clean amp, it can sound weird. So yes, I always encourage people to explore different options with their gear, before you give up on it.

Maybe they are bulky, but they are built like tanks :cool:

@Skyhook nice. We expect a NPD with at least a short report of what you think about the pedal ;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

No, not everyone needs one. Been playing since 1957 and have never liked the sound of OD (or even the edge of breakup). So, no, not everyone needs one.

11. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I play mine through a Fender Twin. Loud, but not close to breaking up. It sounds great if you dial it in right, turn off bright switch and turn up mids on amp. Turn off reverb and add some DD-3..
    [​IMG]

chazo64 and Tele-friend like this.
  12. Censport

Censport Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Twenty-ish years ago, my band at the time played one of those events at a Mars store where they have local bands play through store gear. My rig at the time was a Flying V through a borderline ridiculous pedalboard, with a Danelectro Daddy-O and a Boss MD-2 (which one I used depended on which band I was gigging with) into a Fender HRD. Got to Mars and they had a Les Paul, a DS-1, and a DRRI set up for me. It sounded great! Always wanted one of those pedals and amps since then.

Three years ago, I bought a new DS-1 at a neighborhood store. It sounded terrible. Thought about modding it, but a quick search on the old electronic brain said it couldn't be done. Took it back the next day.

Last month, one of my nephews needed money. I could tell because he sent me an FB message asking if I was interested in some pedals. Every time he blows the engine in one of his old cars or trucks, or needs to buy another project car or truck, he offers me some of his music gear. In recent years, he has sold me a Highway One Tele, a Monte Allums-modded BD-2, and Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress from around 1980, and most recently a Keeley-modded DS-1. The Keeley DS-1 sounds great through my custom PRRI with a Celestion. Not too far from that tone I remember 20-ish years ago.

clingin_on and Tele-friend like this.
  13. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

And one of those guys ended up dead. You want to end up dead? Keep using that DS1!

:lol:

chazo64 likes this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The stock DS-1 is the best MIAB I’ve tried.

Dynamic. Low noise floor. Versatile. Really nice gain structure.

I honestly wonder how people are using them when they get bad results.

Great at home. Even better at show volumes.

Tele-friend likes this.
  15. piage84

piage84 TDPRI Member

Question re the DS 1 (I don't have one yet). In many videos o. YouTube, including the one in the first post, everyone says that the best usage is to push an already cracked up amp. So... I was wondering, with my amp is set as clean (I have a Boss Katana and I love the clean channel), if I put the DS1 BEFORE the SD1, would the engaged SD1 in my clean amp simulate a cracked amp (making the DS1 sound better than if I put it AFTER the SD1)?

16. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I dont know why anyone would mod them. Wind the tone back a fair bit wind the gain back a bit and set to unity. Bliss.

MilwMark and Tele-friend like this.
  17. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Goddammit, just pulled the trigger on a used DS1 today..

Tele-friend likes this.
  18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Somewhat. I think many people don’t like the DS1 because they are unwilling to turn the knobs. Everything at noonish might not be ideal, especially at home volumes. The extreme low ranges of the knob settings work very well on the DS1.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  19. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

In case you are stacking pedals, I would definetly recommend SD1 before DS1. In fact I stack this exact two pedals and it sounds epic. In this case I wouldn't worry if you use a clean amp, just dial in the amount of gain and tone on both pedals that will sound the best to you.

Word :cool:

Great, now we expect a NPD thread after you get it :)

Yep, that is what I always say, exploit all the options you have with gear and try to make it work for you before just saying it is crap.

20. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Everyone should have a DS-1 around. It’ll really make you appreciate how good all your other distortion pedals sound. Their faces when the DS-1 comes up in this blindfold classic rock OD/distortion pedal shootout says it better than I could.

Chiogtr4x and Skyhook like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.