Everybody has a book in them

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fuzzbender, Jan 27, 2014.

1. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

No. It's more like, go ahead and write the book, just don't publish it until you've learned how to write a book. The late, great SciFi legend, Ray Bradbury, used to advise new writers to throw out the first million words you write because they are probably crap.

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Tele-Afflicted

Not quite true.

Amazon have a 6-8 week schedule before they approve or reject your book for distribution. Books have to adhere to certain standards such as size, binding, copyright pages etc. as well as having an ISBN.

Took me 8 weeks from publishing date before it started appearing. Luckily my editing managed to get it right first time.

3. johnreardon

I would be surprised that any 'ego' clause prevented publishers correcting spelling mistakes. Yes editing content is probably prevented

4. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

More choice is better. I want every writer to publish. Makes the dream attainable. Just means the reader must be more discerning. The reader cannot lose by having more choice. Only the writer can lose by self-publishing. So what's the problem - having too many books to choose from?:rolleyes:

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think Ray was right.

Unfortunately, it is like that for song lyrics as well. I wrote a lot of stuff that got wiped out by Katrina and I've come to terms with the fact that most of it was self indulgent and not worth fretting over now that it is gone.

I idolize Neil Young and everyone knows it but this Waging Heavy Peace is a typical example of a book that should never have made it into publication. Neil is in a "record everything" mode right now and for music, that works for his music I know - but not for his efforts at prose where he's as mortal as any man out there.

If everyone records everything, in sound form or words, and the rest of us are charged with sifting through masses and masses of it we'll seldom be putting our time to its best use. I wish there was a gateway or certification process with jurors or something but it simply doesn't work that way.

I disagree with Brian because I see the same pattern over and over. People on limited budgets, or people back in 1960 read everything they could lay their hands on. Once books became plentiful, people were overwhelmed by too many choices so they read far less than they once did. Brian is not acknowledging what I feel is a critical aspect of reading. You need to be able to discuss what you read with others to really incorporate it into your body of experience and to commit some of it to long term memory. If you can't find a soul you can relate to who also read the book or short story (or poem) you may as well be reading People Magazine because it will flush right through you and leave no trace or nearly none.

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I have two friends that I have known since the beginning of time. One of them had a very interesting experience and loads of stories about it. The other friend has offered to write it, saying that he's just naturally good at writing. Or, as he put it, "naturally good at Writing." He writes fairly well for his job, but can't even tell when he veers of track in terms of basic writing conventions. Sure, if he used these to a worthwhile effect, who cares about rules. But it just looks so amateurish and off the cuff. I doubt that he would be open to someone editing his work. In fact, why should he even expect that an editor will put everything in shape?

7. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

I try to have fiber in my diet, but not that much, at least not at one time.

When I get a complete song written, I maybe could start to consider chapter one.

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

BB, I like ya ta death...but that right there is a pretty scary promulgation. :eek:

9. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

John, I was being slightly facetious about Amazon. But the bar is pretty low to get listed on Amazon, regardless of how long it takes to do so. Years ago, it was somewhat of a badge of honor for an author's book to be listed on Amazon - not so anymore. The site has been diluted by the 2 million books a year that I mentioned above.

And, to disagree about copy editing (spelling, grammar, etc.) as as opposed to content editing, most of the copy editing mistakes I see are in the bestsellers.

10. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

With music, you can sample the song before you buy it.

With books, you have to pay before you're allowed to read it.

11. pachap

pachap Tele-Meister

I have two that I am working on.

The first is a work of fantasy that has a strong identity crisis vibe to it, primarily of a spiritual nature. The protagonist is a faulty character, and I take some joy in writing about him because I hate books in which the main characters can do no wrong. I have what will be 2 books about these characters and plot-line written, with probably 2 more books about them in me. I plan on taking the character full-circle in his development as a person in the book. I have let others read excerpts and have gotten some good feedback, so I am cautiously optimistic about it. I will certainly self-publish, but I am still editing the 1st book, and the 2nd is going to have to see some significant changes.

Basically a few years ago, at about 34 yrs old, I entered a short story contest at the college I was attending, and though I didn't win I was very encouraged by the compliments and constructive criticism. I knew I had a story I could tell to others, but just had to set down and work on it.

The second book is spawned off research from my recently completed B.A. in History. It deals with local history of the Prince Hall Masonic Lodge, an African-American lodge. It started out as a project in a class, and I greatly enjoyed the process of meeting lodge members and interviewing them and collecting their history. For a masonic lodge, they were very open about their history and very willing to help me out. I ended up with so much material, and the professor was so impressed with the work and intrigued by the story of the lodge that he urged me to work on it after graduation. He has been giving me some great help and advice. The stories I collected are just so good that they have to be heard. This one is still some ways away and I plan on self-publishing it. I have been told by my old professor that he would like to use it as a text book should I get it finished properly.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I know it is scary. The mere idea, and then the knowing it might be the "best" solution, stands for the proposition IMO that too many books are just too many.

Another solution would be Taxation. The person with the deepest pockets gets to publish, others don't. Obviously the Medicine is worse than the disease.

Then there's Amazon bookseller's lists, and on line reviewing. We know this gets gamed heavily - I can't place any trust on all these paid for reviews, and mass purchases to get this book or that one on to the List.

All I'm saying is if there was a way to manage how much reading gets shoved down our throats, I'd be excited to see a proliferation of books. But we can't manage it and I think it will overwhelm us and dilute our culture to nothing.

13. delb0y

delb0y Tele-Meister

It turned out I had a few westerns in me. Four so far - just short 'library' novels. Currently working on a thriller - but I've tried them several times before and never got anywhere with them. But I write every morning before breakfast. If I don't do it then it doesn't get done.

14. johnreardon

I would hate to see the high bar then. :D

These are just the mandatory requirements on the publish on demand site I used. Other requirements exist as well. Nothing really complex, however they all have to be met. I don't see it as a badge of honour. On the contrary, I wish everyone would buy from the publisher site as Amazon takes a huge margin. It's just the market potential is increased

Mandatory Print Book Distribution Requirements

The industry requires that your book adhere to certain standards, and it is up to you to ensure your books meet these requirements. If your book is submitted before it meets these requirements, it will be rejected and your book distribution will be delayed while you make the corrections to bring your book into compliance.
    Your book must comply with the following requirements to be eligible for distribution.

Requirements for all book covers

• The title and author name must be present on the front cover of your book and must match the metadata you provided for your book. What is metadata?
    • If including the retail price on the cover, it must exactly match the retail price for the book. Lulu does not add the price to the book cover.
    • Lulu recommends that you do not display prices in multiple currencies on your cover. If you include a retail price on the cover, choose the currency in which the book was originally priced, otherwise daily currency fluctuations will create a mismatch between the price printed on the cover and the actual retail price, resulting in your book being rejected for distribution.
    • Keep all important text and images at least 0.375"/0.9525 cm (.25"/0.635 cm bleed area + .125"/0.3175 cm safety area) from all sides (including the spine) of the cover. This area may be trimmed off or obscured by the cover bend.
    • IMPORTANT: B&W 8.5 x 11"/21.59 x 27.94 cm books will be printed at 8.25" x 11"/20.955 x 27.94 cm through the retail channels. You may need to increase the distance of any text or images from the edges to take these dimensions into account.
    • Spine text must be at least .0625" / 0.159 cm away from all edges of the spine. There cannot be any spine text on books with fewer than 80 pages.
    • Additional requirements for one-piece covers:
      • Use these dimensions.
      • Cover must have correct 13-digit ISBN/EAN.
      • Bar codes must be provided in black and white.
      • Bar codes should be 1.75" wide x 1" high (4.445 x 2.54 cm).
    Requirements for book interiors

• If you are uploading your manuscript in PDF format, it must be created using a suitable PDF creation software. For more information, see: Recommended PDF Creation Programs.
    • If you are uploading a manuscript in Microsoft office or another word processing format, Lulu will convert it to PDF format.
    • Embed all fonts (and all font family members used) when distilling the PDF.
    • Printing is not available on the inside of front and back covers. This means your first page starts on the right hand side.
    • Book must have a Title page, which must match the metadata Title you provided.
    • Book must have a Copyright page with your correct 13-digit ISBN/EAN and a copyright notice. The Copyright page must come after the Title page. Example:
      © 2013 Lulu Author. All rights reserved.
      ISBN 978-1-234-56789-1​
    • Final page of each book must be completely blank. No page numbers, headers, footers, lines, etc.
    • Margins must be at least .5"/1.27 cm on all sides. The left margin must be equal to the right margin, and the top margin must be equal to the bottom margin.
    • Depending on the binding style selected, a gutter, or additional left margin, may be added to the document. Click here for a pictorial depiction of margins and gutter
    • Page numbering must be correct. No page numbers may be skipped or repeated. A page can go without a number, but it must be counted and consistent. Each page must have only one page number. If you include a table of contents, the pagination in your manuscript must match the pagination in the table of contents.
    • All files should be submitted at high-resolution (between 300 dpi and 600dpi).
    • If any page in the book will have color or images that extend to the edge of a page (full bleed), format the entire document according to the full bleed specifications.
    • There can be no mention or insinuation of a CD-ROM or any additional inserts being included with your book.
    • Text must be clear and readable, no overlapping text layers, cut off text, or poorly scanned text images.
    Requirements for the Publishing Wizard

• Book Description, Author and Title must use a Latin Character set. We cannot accept Russian, Chinese, Japanese and other non-Latin characters or symbols. If non-Latin characters are used the ISBN will not be sent to the ISBN agency.
    • The book's description must consist of at least 50 characters, excluding blank spaces, and cannot simply repeat the title.
    Please Note

The requirements listed above are the most common guidelines for distributing your work through Lulu. Please keep in mind that our distribution partners may update or add requirements at their discretion, which may result in your project being rejected for distribution.

15. LarryInTexas

LarryInTexas Tele-Meister

I have two books published (on Amazon's Kindle Store), with my 3rd book that will be out in a few days.

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Joe, are there folks you can contact to edit a book? what does that cost?

17. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Yes, there are freelance editors. Price will vary, depending on if you want content editing, copy editing or both. Some charge by the page, too. Expect anything from a couple of hundred dollars to a thousand or more. I know some small publishers who contract with editors for around $400 per book.

There is also an annual guidebook - Jeff Herman's Guide to Book Publishers, Editors and Literary Agents. Suggest you look for it in your library. It can give you names based on genre and location.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I'll take a look. 400.00 is very reasonable... I'd like to finish some things, but would want a person to edit it... fun!

19. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Just make sure your editor has experience in the genre you're writing.

20. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

The certification process was the publisher or peer review. Now that anyone can write a book and publish it themselves (although peer review still sets certain standards in academia and the like) the gatekeeper status of the publisher is gone, to some extent. How many great books will never be read because a publisher decided it wouldn't sell (we shall never know).

I say this is good. You say it is bad. We can agree to disagree but I am happy to have more choice. My vetting process is word of mouth. I will sooner read a book that is recommended to me by someone who's opinion I respect or admire, whether it be someone I know or a reviewer that I am familiar with. That''s just me, though. Choice is a symptom of the age we live in and I am happy for that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.