Every liked a guitar that is not comfortable to play?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by barnbustud, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I love my Strat, but I always play a little less aggressively, a bit “lighter” on it…

I have to wrestle (or as we say here in Texas, “wrassle”) my Telecaster(s) a bit more…they seem to push back, and I can play more aggressively.

I liken my Stratocaster to lightweight running shoes and my Telecaster to a pair of heavy, tough western boots…I wear the latter footwear much more often than the former, and my guitar choice follows suit.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Cigar box type guitars are fun to play but they are uncomfortable with those sharp boxy edges and weird balancing...

2020cbgs.png

Matt G and dougstrum like this.
  3. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I was a Strat guy most of my life until 23 years ago when I bought my first Tele. I still sort of like my Strat, but I feel very cramped up whenever I play it now. My Teles all feel very spacious to me, very un-cluttered and easier to move around and play. My Teles just feel more natural to me.

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I love my Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood dreadnaught but it’s just too dam big.
    73BABB26-5990-4165-864D-50CFA52AFCC8.jpeg

5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

For acoustics I know that an OM or 000 body are a little more comfortable than a dreadnought but if I could only have one I'd go with the dread because I like having the additional bottom end available when I want it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Yes. Teles. I’ve awakened with a bruised right forearm the day after a particularly energetic band practice. Cost of doing business.

I’ve also had trouble with thin necks causing cramping, but those guitars got sold. My Aerodyne Tele, which I loved other than the neck, comes to mind.

7. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Liked is too strong a word. I have a Martin Backpacker that I tolerated because I could throw it in the overhead compartment. It tunes well, stays in tune, and has a Martin neck, but it is impossible to play sitting down, and sounds horrid.

I liked my electrics.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Poster Extraordinaire

An Ovation was my first experience with a physically uncomfortable-to-play guitar. It upset me so bad :lol:

Matt G and beagle like this.
  9. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Oh Yes, my Parker Fly.
    The top horn just cut into my Soler plexus everytime I played it.
    Put it in the closet for a few years.
    Took it out and moved the top strap button back towards the bridge....
    Now it's my Fav Go To guitar . . . .
    20171017_230930.jpg

Fendereedo and Ed Storer like this.
  10. FuncleManson

FuncleManson Tele-Meister

Absolutely! My Firebird.

Skinny neck. Playing area shifted to the left. Knobs too close together. Perpendicular front-mounted output jack (as opposed to the cool angled front-mount on a Strat). Also not a huge fan of the Steinberger tuners.

But it's such a cool guitar that I still love to play because, ya know, Johnny Winter.

Matt G and StoneH like this.
  11. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Just curious . . . would it stay in tune?

12. FuncleManson

FuncleManson Tele-Meister

Oh, sure, but not any better that some of my guitars with standard tuners. IMO, tuning issues usually fall more on the nut than the tuners.

That's not why I'm not a big fan of the Steinbergers. I don't hate 'em. I just think "regular" tuners are easier to string and they don't eventually "bottom out," like the Steinbergers can.

From what I've heard, I'm guessing I wouldn't like the old banjo tuners either, but if it had 'em, I'd still play it!

StoneH likes this.
  13. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I'm not crazy about the ergonomics of Les Paula but nothing sounds and plays quite like one.

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Try moving the strap button. Use one of the neck attachment screws, one closer to the headstock, not the bridge.

I would say Danelectro. Nice sound, but too light for me, flops around when I play.

15. mountainhick

mountainhick Tele-Meister

Les Pauls are the worst for me. I love how they play and sound, but they kill my ribs and forearm.

Telecaster is not far behind... I'll be contouring mine soon. Luckily it s a natural ash body, so an easy refinish.

And any guitar which neck dives. Forget it, not worth the trouble.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm more in the camp with those who find overly rounded guitars slide around, and don't mind the hard edges of a Tele despite my being more bony than padded.

Neck dive always bothered me because it's again, the guitar trying to reposition itself.

Now though with constant chronic pain, there is literally not a single thing that's comfortable to do including laying down in bed or sitting in any sort of chair. My Volvo leather seats are pretty good though!

So among the 20 or so pain points when playing guitar, they are all uncomfortable to play.
    Funny, I'm finding the small cutaway on Strat and Tele bodies a bit cramped.
    My left wrist has to bend oddly to play a barre chord/ triad/ sweep up on the top frets.

Maybe it's time for a nice Ibanez Jem?
    I'd prefer 24 frets too, been playing in the same little pasture for 44 years and it would be nice to have more room to move!
    Before I get put out to pasture...

Matt G and nojazzhere like this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love the Grote 335-style I got in 2019, but after decades of playing Teles, Strats, Les Pauls and PRS, it is just awkward, especially standing with a strap. I've even tried studying guys like Robben Ford and Larry Carlton to see where they positioned theirs, to see if there's a trick to it.....no luck. I'll definitely keep it, and will use it on gigs where its "appearance" is right, but I'll still mostly gig with my Tele-style mongrelcaster, with its forearm "bevel".

18. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

Most every dreadnought. Not belly compatible.

19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jay Farrar of Son Volt had to get rotator cuff surgery on his right shoulder because of thick acoustic guitars.

Matt G likes this.
  20. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Yup, Les Pauls. So much great going on there, but awkward for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.