Every have your mind blown by a plugin?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Ecadad, May 29, 2020.

1. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I've always used the stock compressors in Logic, but I just bought two waves compressors (the CLA-2A and PuigChild), and my lord, they're so tasty. I can't stop using them.

The Logic compressors are great, but I had no idea that a compressor could sound as awesome as these two. They're making me write songs differently just so I can use them

I'm just seeing the typo in the title of this post. lol.

cravenmonket likes this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The DAW I use came free with TH3 and I don't see any need for anything beyond that.

3. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

I keep wondering about Waves compressors. The Logic ones are quite serviceable but I often feel like they're a bit cold. I mostly record acoustic guitar and vocals, and I only use a teeny bit of compression anyhow. I like a more airy, open, 70s folk production style.

So is it worth splashing for some Waves plugins? I'm also intrigued by the tape saturation plugins. I've tried applying a bit of saturation with Logic's Phat FX but it's not getting me where I want to be...

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

could you post a 'side by side' so we can hear it?

5. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Sure! How do I post something like that in here?

6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I really liked the Klanghelm "MJUC" compressor. Cheap, but very effective. A really realy cool comp is the Goodhertz "Vulf" comp:

https://goodhertz.co/vulf-comp/

It's fantastic--it can add a really great distorted compression that sound a lot like the stuff Vulfpeck does, no suprises.

Aside from flavors of distortion, I'm less persuaded by the differences between software comps than I used to be--but as I get older my hearing has deteriorated, so I may not be as good a judge as I was ten years ago

soul-o and TokyoPortrait like this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

maybe put it on soundcloud (free) and share the link here.

8. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

I used to use the original valve Fairchild limiters that the Puigchild is based on and they are great. And heavy and hot! Amazing for vocals and bass - very smooth and natural, and each one was unique. We usually had to record through them as it wasn’t possible to stack up enough to use at mix.

beyer160 likes this.
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I haven't bought any expensive plugins, but I do think the Waves stuff is nice. The Puigchild was definitely a gamechanger for me- it's cool as a standard compressor, but once you get into the LAT/VER mode, it's amazing.

10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Some favorites:

iZotope RX7 Bundle including Connect and Stand Alone
    iZotope Insight
    Waves Renaissance Bundle
    Waves SSL bundle
    UAD Precision Limiter

Bob

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  11. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

To answer the question in the title... YES, the Waves CLA Compressors, and the Waves SSL Channel.
    • SSL Channel is inserted on every track for general filter, EQ, Comp and Expander.
    • CLA comps (2A, 3A, 1176) are inserted on anything that needs to stand out...
    Another favorite of mine are Valhalla Reverbs! Outstanding plugins for very little $$$.

Stock compressors (Logic, Studio one, etc...etc...) are great! Apply those where you need to tame transients.

When you need COLOR! Insert the specialty comps! They will make a track "POP".... but you have to remember, if you use them everywhere it's counter productive, EVERYTHING POPS, so nothing stands out ;)

12. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

So true. I've taken to using the stock comps for most purposes, but when I need something to be special I go for one of the colorful comps that I bought. Can really make something stand out (especially drums and lead vocals).

You're making me want to buy the 3A and the 1176 now... would it be worth it you think?

13. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I'm sort of in this camp.I use the Logic compressors when I want the comp to be mostly invisible. They don't insert a lot of coloration, distortion or punch. When you want those, find your favorite tool for the job.

codamedia and Ecadad like this.
  14. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

The 3A is very similar to the 2A... it's worth having, but I'd put money on the 1176 first.
    The CLA76 (1176) is pretty special, a great compliment to the 2A.

15. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yeah! I got a free saturation knob plugin from Softube and use it all the time to add a bit of grit and make things feel a little less clinical.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  16. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Valhalla Room is almost always the perfect reverb for me.

And BFD3, well, I've been a huge fan since BFD1. It's an essential tool for me.

Lately I've been playing the Synclavier plugin by Arturia. I used to fantasize about having one of those, and my favorite musicians all used it. It's amazing to sit here and have the same thing.

17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

When I was about five years old, I plugged a butter knife into an electrical outlet. It really blew my mind. Fortunately, I'm still here to tell about it.

klasaine, tintag27 and bloomz like this.
  18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

19. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I bought a little Arturia MiniLab midi keyboard a while back for adding organ bits, using pads for drum programming, and playing in basslines real quick. It came with Analog Lab and that stuff is out of this world. The B-3 models and effects you can stack on them are so, so good. It's really made my writing much more interesting. All of the models are nice, but there's nothing like a B-3 for me - except maybe a little Rhodes or Continental here and there.

20. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Delete

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.