Every brand expect was a POS except Gibson, Fender, and few others?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Donny Osmond fan, Oct 16, 2019.

1. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

production is much easier now, and quality to because production of materials are better controlled to.
    only in guitars wood is the factor that you can not control complete so will deliver different results at the end.
    i have a beautiful cort strat, even had 2 of them and both had the same problem.
    frets were worn out, because i think they were made from to soft material
    i learnt myself refretting those guitars and they are alive and kicking,
    do i need a special brand guitar? no if quality control is weak every brand has hiss POS

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Nobody is "stupid " if you give a worker cheap low quality parts and rush him to produce as many guitars as possible in a day you will NEVER get a high quality product.

The difference today is the low priced parts built by machine are much closer in quality to premium parts than low priced hand made parts were 50 years ago.

3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Coaxing a cheap old guitar to play like buttah and make good music is fun and rewarding. :)

There's no denying that some of those '60s/'70s beasts were and are irredeemable and should never have been made.

My little 1970 Taiwan-made Harmony solid body is not for sale. Sorry!

....What was the question? o_O:D

FenderGyrl likes this.
  4. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

In my collection, I've owned most of those brands you listed, and through time and experience, I learned that most of them are indeed not quality guitars.

In time, and after losing money, you will learn too. That's just how it works.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

What is PoS ?

6. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

And the target market didn't really know what the difference between a Teisco and a Fender/Gibson was. The kids wanted electric guitars, parents bought them. Some kids learned and moved on to better stuff while most kids got bored and gave up after a while.

This was their market, and that market didn't ask for better guitars.

My first guitar was a Duke. That's one of the brands Teisco was sold under. It was bad! Very bad! Still I wish I still had it, because I believe that I could make it a lot more playable now. I doubt that anyone could make that tremolo stay in tune though, because of it's poor design. The tuners would also have to be replaced. Back then a set of decent tuners costed more than that guitar. Go figure.

Oh, and I gotta say that it looked kind of cool in an off way!

I wouldn't place Hagström, Burns. Höfner or Vox in the same bracket as, for example, Teisco. They were at least three tiers up.

If today's bottom tier, in a guitar store, is like a Squier Affinity, there's also another bottom tier found for $49, amp included, in El Cheapo Supermarkets or maybe the hardware big box store. They are today's Teiscos. They can be fixed to play decently, but once you start replacing parts, everything costs more than the guitar. It also requires that you know what/how to do. No beginning guitar player knows that.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Wildcard_35 likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

It’s the same as anything else—sometimes the “el cheapo” model weren’t terrible, and sometimes they were absolute dung...and sometimes they were pretty dang good.

I have my great-grandfather’s Airline Bakelite tabletop tube radio (a “jobber” brand sold at Montgomery Ward). It was a cheap little radio that he used to listen to in his den. I don’t know for sure, but judging by other similar radios I’ve seen at antique shops and online, I reckon it was made in the late 40s or so.

It wasn’t hi-fi, it wasn’t fancy and it wasn’t anything special at the time...but it somehow ended up in my possession in the mid-70s, and I used to listen to it daily in my bedroom, until I got a “better” radio with a cassette player in 1981 or so.

Interestingly enough, that little brown radio would regularly pick up signals from waning days of the Mexican “X” stations (as celebrated in ZZ Top’s “I Heard It On The X”), even though we lived in a little town butting up against the bottom side of Fort Worth...and it worked fine until the mid-80s, even though it was close to 40 years old—assumably with the same tubes.

So, relating this to guitars (and amps), if they were/are properly set up and well-maintained, the occasional “Wednesday” guitar these factories turned out are good, even great...but since they were cheaper, less durable “consumer grade” products, they weren’t celebrated or coddled—they were used as best as they could be used and then discarded or upgraded when the person could afford a better instrument.

That old warm tube sound of AM waves is so amazing and nostalgic to me—I found a local guy who restores old radios such as these, and I’m hoping to get it functional again; it’ll probably end up in my Guitar Room/Office/Library/Lair, and I’ll use it to listen to baseball or football games.

8. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

Piece of sh*t.

9. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Martian guitars?

10. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I did have a Hagstrom for awhile. Not a bad guitar but wasnt as nice as the Tele I had at the time or any of the guitars I have now

11. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Cant tell about 70,80 because i was Born in 90. Started to play in 2005, i can only tell you that brands like Schecter Jackson and ibanez are making outstanding quality instruments

12. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I was there, and a lot of the guitars you referenced were P’s OS. Not all (even a blind chicken finds a piece of corn every now and then) but for the most part they were WAY inferior to the major brands. Were they playable? Yeah some were, that’s what you learned on, but the difference between a Hondo II LP and a real one was night and day. It’s hard for people to understand now because a lot of the student models made today are MILES better than what kids had back then. The difference in pro-line guitars and student models was much wider in those days imo. And that was a cool thing in hindsight. You graduated up to better guitars.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just except it, bro.

14. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Everything sucks except for the things I like.

Fiesta Red and NewKid like this.
  15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Agreed, as I was there a lot of this era as well. Some of the brands in the OP were cool, cheap quirky things like the early Teisco (and all their various brands) Danelectro/Silvertones, Airline/National/all their other brands, Eko, etc. Some were just junk. When I was a kid there were copies of the oddball Teiscos that were out of Taiwan and found in the various sub-K-Mart discount stores that were around in the late 60s/early 70s.

Then we go through the "lawsuit" era where the Japanese brands moved to high-quality clones of the USA guitars that people aspired to (Gibsons, Fenders, Rickenbackers, etc.), then eventually high-quality models of their own design (starting with Yamaha, then Ibanez and other brands).

I started seriously playing in the late 1970s - the copies were now out of Korea and yes a lot of the Hondo IIs and similar brands were total junk - misplaced bridges, pickups that fell out due to stripped screws (yes and easy fix by getting new pickup rings but still a pain to have to do that to a relatively new guitar), etc. Eventually the Hondo IIs of the world wound up with multiple levels of guitars and the top-level versions were pretty good, just the low-priced ones had issues.

The evolution has continued so that Japanese builds are at least as respected as the USA builds, Korean builds are as respected as Japanese builds were in the 1970s, and the low-price builds out of China and Indonesia are better than the low-priced Korean builds of the late 1970s.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Sometimes the truth just hurts.

Cheap copies are ... wait for it ... cheap copies.

Wildcard_35 and Chuckster like this.
  17. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

What does it matter now with those long-gone cheap brands? To hell with them! Whether they were good or not, they didn’t last and very few people seek them out and fewer even know the brand names.

I like Fender.

Now get off my lawn!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Telecastoff1 and Fiesta Red like this.
  18. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I want a Martian guitar! ;)

PlainAllman likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The CITES documentation for one of them is a bear!

Fiesta Red likes this.
  20. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

A lot of people from my Dad's generation wanted a fiesta red strat because Hank Marvin (Shadows) brought one over from the USA and he was the British guitar guy of the time. That's what Brian May wanted but couldn't afford one. They cost about 1/2 an average young skilled persons annual salary. So way beyond what most musicians could afford. Those two things combined and their rarity in the early 60's probably elevated their status.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.