Every brand expect was a POS except Gibson, Fender, and few others?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Donny Osmond fan, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

Ok so besides Gibson, Martian, Fender, Rickenbacker, Guild, and Gretsch every other brand in the 50's 60's and 70's was a POS? I do not believe that. So Kay, Silvertone, Harmony, Hagstrom, Kent, Crucianelli, Vox, Supro, Teisco, and all the others was not capable of making any great guitars? Or really good playable ones? Really.

Kay had pro models. Barney Kessel models. Silvertone had great semi hollows and Roy Smeck guitars. Kent had pro models. Supro as well. You mean even though the Kay factory had been around for years. Elvis first guitar at 12 was a Kay guitar. They never not onced produced a good guitar or a great guitar?

Supro never did either? Eko either? So the guitar builders never learned to build a guitar. Even though they worked and built them for years? Electric guitars was new in the 1950's. Yes they had been a few electrics before that. But most started building electrics in the 1950's. I love Burns Strat styles. Elvis owned one.

Wem guitars and other experminted with switching, bodies, wood, pickups, and other things. Every company did that. Gibson gave Harmony some pickups. But all the off brands was a POS? No I do not believe that.

So Harmony sold more acoustics than anyone in the 30's and 40's. Why? Cheap price. But never learned to make a great guitar? Gibson no longer makes amplifiers. Was thay a POS?

When people back then wanted to play they bought what they could afford. Or their family bought them. They will say all I wanted was Gibson and Fender. How did you know of those 2 brands and what made them good enough for you and was the measuring stick you judged all guitars by? I knew nothing about guitars when I got my first electric guitar 1983. Most got a guitar paid on time from Sears.

So how did you know gibson amps was garbage if you could not afford one? Who told you your guitar was a POS compaired to the Gibson, Fender, and other brands? Did you learn it on you own? Or did you have a friend that raged you butt every day. Telling you his guitar was much better than yours. To you finnaly begged for a better guitar.

BB King said guitar players wanted to be like him. And the others as well. Elvis, Buddy Holly, Beatles etcc.. Electric guitar sells went through the roof. Japan flooded the market with cheap guitars. In America too. Kay and Harmony produced expensive and cheap American models. But had a stigma as being junk.

So everyone sold a guitar Deca records. Deca guitar. RCA records. RCA electric guitars 2 colors. England had Eko, Crucianelli, Vox, Burns and others. Burns was great quality. still is today with the reissues. But some say they only played them untill Gibson and Fender was sold over there. And they hated all the brands but had to play them untill they got the brands they wanted. So Paul Mccartney did not want the Hofner even though he loved it and picked it out his self?

So is it that guitar players make stuff up in their heads and say the off brands never produced not one good guitar? Or they did make some great models? Or every brand produced a bad guitar every fourth one? I read at TGP about fret boards falling off. Quality issues from the Gibson, and Fenders too.

So Fender got it right the first time. No quality issues at all. And companys that been around for years and the new ones as well never learned to make a great guitar. They were really that stupid. Or guitar players hated those brands and told the truth on some models. But made up most of the quality issues?

Did some one bugg you so bad. Saying your brand was junk and you bought or begged for another. If you knew nothing about guitars how could you hold the guitar and say and know the neck, pickups, wood, electronics was a POS and junk? did you get laughed at when you tried the guitar out at the store? What gives?

You mean all the off brands or new companys that was cheaper than a Gibson and Fender was junk. Did not Leo Fender learn as he went along making guitars? He could not play much either. Why could not the other workers that worked at those other factories learn to make a guitar. You mean for years they made guitars and never got any better?

What am I missing here. Explain it to me? I'm confused? Either guitar players lied because they hated those brands? Or every other one was bad. But like Harmony that was 40 years old in the 50's never leaned to produce one guitar that did not have quality issues? I do not get it?

Help me to understand it all?:(:(

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Who are you arguing with?? o_O

stevemc, jayyj, Doorlord and 28 others like this.
  3. Donny Osmond fan

I'm not i'm just trying to understand it all.

4. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Yes they were crap, even if you don't believe it.

5. Donny Osmond fan

Why? Could not those brand ever produce 1 good guitar. Not one?

6. Donny Osmond fan

I do not believe they never produced not 1 good guitar? Every off brand. Maybe they had quality issues on a few guitars that got out the door. But not every one they made.

7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

My first guitar in 1969 was an Eko Ranger. Made of plywood and certainly didn't then sound or feel like a Martin or a Gibson and now I've had a chance of owning and playing those brands, it still doesn't. But at the time it was all I could afford and I loved it. It's still with me, in honourable retirement, but it's just a cheap guitar. Perfectly playable, better than a lot of the cheap brands, but a cheap guitar.

77062-1473171342018.jpg

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

for me, a buddy got a new les paul. I was trying to learn on a badly abused tiesco. he didn't have to tell me his guitar was better than mine.

9. Donny Osmond fan

What about the Teisco Spectrum 5 every one loves. And it and reissues goes gor over a 1000 dollars. Was not it a great guitar they produced? Cold not Teisco make 3 great models. And the others was just decent with out any quality issues?

10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i am from the Netherlands, and don't understand what you mean by POS

telemnemonics and mkdaws32 like this.
  11. Donny Osmond fan

It is a term on the internet for piece of sh%t.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I love all my guitars, including my '64 Harmony H15

13. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Jimmy Page had a Harmony acoustic in his arsenal, and he used it onstage regularly with Led Zeppelin. A lot of the brands you mentioned in your rant made some decent guitars, but they were budget guitars, and as such, suffered the pitfalls of quantity over quality, plywood over solid wood, cheaper materials, and hardware, etc. Some pro's stayed with their early cheap guitars because they were comfortable and familiar, and sentimentally attached. But most eventually upgraded to domestically, hand built name brands of superior build quality, and superior sound. (not to mention price), when they were able to afford the upgrade.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

When I was 13 I had a terrible Les Paul copy a “Satellite” but I learned. I even got tools to set it up. It improved a bit.

Then I played an early ‘70s Gibson Les Paul in a recording studio. Night and day isn’t even in it. Leagues and leagues better in every possible way. It set a standard. So much so that I went out and earned money determined to buy a Gibson. I did

Contrast that with a Squier affinity or Epiphone today. Beginners guitars can play just a pro with time and effort in the setup.

Edit:

Satellite LP copy:

15. Donny Osmond fan

Not rally a rant. But I heard it all for years. One guy was asked to leave Awesome Cheap guitars why? He got mad and said all the off brands was junk. And Teisco was toys. He thought they was gong to talk about finding a Gibson for 500 dollars. He hated talking about finding a POS he and every other guitar player hated in the day.

But even if they used cheaper parts cpild not they make 1 guitar that was cheaper with np quality isuues at all. Most would say no. What if the same guy at Fender made every neck he worked on wrong. Would they teach him hisjob and if he still continued to still make the same mistakes would they not fire him? Then why would the brands that guitar players hated do the same thing.

lets talk about some new guitars today. some hate Samick, and Cort. So you man they have been in buissness for years. Samick since the 1960's. And they cannot or know how to make a great guitar. 1 might slip by but they do not have quality issues all over the place.

So i'm sure the off brands was more than capable of make a decent guitar most of the time. Am I wrong?

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have only had the ones in BOLD .

Interesting
    sounding guitars but build quality?

Definitely POS.

My Cruscianelly Elite is virtually unplayable due to a wrapped neck ,unobtainable intonation and a bridge that lies 1 inch to the left of where it should be :D

Still it has an AWESOME pickup and is a killer SLIDE guitar and a great video clip guitar...

[​IMG]

DonM and Slim60 like this.
  17. Donny Osmond fan

I think if the guitars had a proper set up they would play fine. But back in the 1960's. No one did that. and when you ask why they will say we did not know that. Really?

A few Gibson guitars are sold sometimes with quality issues. Not all the time. But what guitar players think and I don't is all lets say Kay made two hundered thousand then went out of buissness. All two hunderd thousand was junk, POS, and had quality issues. I do not believe that?

bgmacaw likes this.
  18. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Could you believe that at least the majority was trash and were built for as little money as possible. A brands reputation goes off the majority of their products not the 1 in a 100 that came out good.

19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

TL/DR

ecoast likes this.
  20. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

The difference between then and now is difficult to experience, and that is primarily what it was. The whole experience of guitar ownership is so different now that print in any form really can’t do it justice. But yes there were huge differences in quality between even low end “name” guitars and
    “better” second and third tier instruments.
    Many had design flaws or budget materials such as non compensated/difficult to adjust bridges, brass frets, and poor neck reinforcement, that made set up difficult to the point that what repair people their were were often unwilling to work on them.

Most small town repair people were affiliated w/ a shop and were not interested in working on something that wasn’t or couldn’t be sold in said shop.

Were there better “ lesser” guitars? sure. Some were made by Gibson, and
    “stenciled”, others were almost as much or even more money that leading brands but failed to provide solid resale, and that ever elusive
    “Pride of Ownership”..going forward a bit the Peavey T-60 and the various Carvin products from the ‘70s were fine guitars, but most people still wanted a Strat, LP etc.

But to get back to the original premise, yes most were pretty bad.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.