Evertune bridge

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by cousinpaul, Sep 23, 2020.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

A customer recently brought me a Les Paul Studio with one of these installed. I've never seen anything quite like it. Evertune makes them for tele, strat, Gibson, etc and also markets a number of popular guitars with the system factory installed. Their website says the Evertune system will keep the guitar in tune under any and all conditions. They are pricey and crazy invasive. I must admit, the LP did stay in tune well, but that could also be attributed to a good set-up.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    matty428 likes this.
  2. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

I think the concept is pretty badass. I just don't think it's newb friendly. And as a newb myself, I'd never have the guts to rout the cavity to house the thing.

gregulator450 likes this.
  3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Please elaborate. What makes it special?

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't like the idea of carving up a perfectly good guitar, but I might consider it...

You certainly destroy any resale value, so I might try it on an Epiphone or other cheapo...

But then the bridge would be worth more than the guitar...

5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

From what I've read, it uses spring tension to return the string to a pre-set pitch. Seems like the nut would still be a factor but what do I know. My guy wanted me to remove it but it would leave a mess in a critical area.

I think the owner will either keep it or sell as is. Too bad. The LP is finished in vintage white and a real looker. Good player,too.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Seems like a spring pulling backwards would counter strings catching at the nut. Interesting concept, but the routing is an issue. Maybe better for a build than a refit.

8. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I've seen them, I think they're pretty silly, but you're bound to see a shill turn up here soon. Every thread about this bridge eventually has a proponent show up who only ever posts about this bridge.

9. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

IMO don't waste your time & money on an Evertune; a good guitar should stay in tune, period.

10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

I have yet to play one myself, but I [think I] understand the concept. Each saddle is on its own spring loaded system, and once set up, the spring system compensates for the changes in the string that could cause it to go out of tune. It can be set up to accommodate string bends, or it can cancel out string bends. I have heard it described as "a separate Floyd Rose for each string", but I don't think that's terribly accurate.

It's really popular with modern and extreme metal guys where aggressive playing styles and machine-like precision are valued (often more than the human element). If, for example, you hit a string with the pick hard enough to bend it out of tune, or if your playing style pushes a guitar from being in tune to out of tune through the course of a song, the Evertune stabilizes each string and keeps it in tune. It seems to have the most value for guys working in the studio on modern heavy music.

Schecter, ESP, and Jackson all offer versions of their models with Evertune bridges, so that should give a good indication of the target market. I see that Fender has an Evertune Strat and Gretsch has a solid body model coming out soon with it installed.

It is an invasive retrofit, similar to installing a strat type vibrato or a Floyd on a hardtail, yet it does exactly the opposite of a vibrato. I used to do a LOT of tech work for modern metal guys, so I figured I should pay a bit of attention when it came out. I think there are situations within its target market where it makes a lot of sense, but it's a niche product for sure.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  11. gregulator450

I would go to your nearest guitar big box store and try a guitar that comes with a factory-installed Evertune. If you like how it works, Evertune can provide you with a list of shops authorized to retrofit, and I believe they will even sell you the routing templates if you're brave enough to do it yourself.

matty428 likes this.
  12. gregulator450

I am too young to know what the initial response to Floyds and Kahlers was, but I would bet that in 10-20 years the Evertune will be considered as essential to a specific type of player as the locking systems are today.

matty428 likes this.
  13. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Darrell Braun recently did a YouTube review video of this bridge and it was eye opening. It does what it says it does. Sadly, it's really not a DIY type product, but I don't think their services are unreasonably priced for folks who really would benefit from the EverTune setup.

gregulator450 likes this.
  14. gregulator450

Just watched the video. He did a better job of explaining the EverTune than EverTune ever has.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  15. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

There is a video on Andertons’ TV. They are playing an ESP that had one installed. It new the difference between a bend and it being out of tune. They were able to do a slow bend that made it try to adjust the tuning.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.