Everly Bros "Mama Tried" live w Telepicker

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TerryOz, Dec 29, 2007.

1. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Compliments of the season guys and girls! I got a fairly low quality DVD of the Everlys for Xmas...But there is a particularly interesting point on Track 14 where they do "Mama Tried"...There is a very familiar face in the background picking a Maple Neck telecaster, fitted with a B Bender...He plays some great fills all through each chorus, no solo unfortunately..Anyone care to tell me who it is?...Shame about the picture quality of this one, it is very poor, but the performances are sure there...Saw them in the 80s, they were pretty good, but I would have loved to catch them in their prime, before the bust up...Very important part of the pop rock landscape these guys!:cool:

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I've never seen the DVD or Clip, but I'm pretty sure Albert Lee used to back them up, during that era ?...might be him

3. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

No thats too easy

This was well before the Albert Lee era, he was responsible for getting them back to performing together...This is well before that, old black and white grainy TV footage...I am embarrassed to say that I think it was Clarence White:eek: and that I didn't pick him...Straight shoulder length fair hair, full beard, short, minimal moves, GOOD B bending licks...It sure aint Albert though!

4. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

It might have been Bob Warford...who was a friend of Clarence Whites'. Bob has the second Tele ever to have a B Bender. His white Tele with rosewood neck used to belong to Clarence but traded it to Bob for a Roy Noble acoustic. Clarence previously used that Tele as a studio musician on teh BYrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Bob installed the bender after he got it with his Dad and help from Gene Parsons. Bob was a member of Linda Ronstadt's band in the early 70's and is heard all over "Heart Like A Wheel"....and a studio musician who backed up many artists including the Everly's, Emmylou Harris, Chris Hillman, Herb Pedersen...

Here's a pic of Bob on the right backing up EmmyLou along with James Burton..

[​IMG]

5. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

actually if this is the video...this is definitely Bob Warford...playing some very tasty bender licks!

6. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

more Bob Warford (on the right) backing up Linda Ronstadt

7. byrdbrain

byrdbrain Tele-Afflicted

Warford and White are my two fave B-bender players,
    and the Everly's Roots (where "Mama Tried" can be found)
    is one of the best country rock albums ever made.
    But you all knew that :D

8. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

That's the Player and that's the Tele

Well, I have some pickin' to track down now...If Bob Warford is the guy in the pics, then that is who I saw...Very cool player and obviously well known to you guys...I will order The Everlys "Roots" album tonight...Thanks for your input guys! Interesting that you mentioned the White Tele with the Rosewood board, in the footage it is Maple...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  9. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

It is a minor mystery. Bob Warford is a member and occasional poster at the Clarence White forum www.clarencewhiteforum.com

When asked about it Bob thought that is was the rosewood neck....

Bob had attended several of our forum jams in Fountain Valley, Ca..and several of us have gotten to play that wonderful old Tele...pure magic!!! It's a 54 body with an early 60's Strat rosewood neck with the headstock re-shaped to look like a Tele. Bob plays through the same rig as he ever did...a 65 Vibrolux Reverb (hot rodded by Red Rhodes, master volume and solid state rectfier) and has JBL speakers, and uses a LPB1 boost.

Here's some pix of Bob showing us his famous Tele at a CW forum jam
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  10. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.