1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever wrote a song and...

Discussion in 'The Writers' Block' started by swervinbob, Apr 18, 2021.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

you know it can’t be original. In my teens, I started humming a song. I even wrote the whole chorus. This was before I got into guitar. I know the melody isn’t that original. Stock top 40 country from the 70s to 90s. I just figured I’d heard it somewhere. I’m not a country music fan, but you can’t live in Southeast Texas and not be forced to listen to it.

Lately I’ve done searches on the title and lyrics to the chorus and come up with nothing. There are other songs with the same title, but nothing even close. I may just go jam with a buddy and write verses for it and demo it just for the heck of it.

I know it’s hard to be original anymore, but it just bugs me, because I still keep thinking I may have stolen this one.

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

It's easier to be original if you don't care whether other people might like it or it is recognizable as music. The minute you try to fit it into a style 80% of any claim to originality goes out the window. Since most people want to hear songs about the ups and downs of romantic relationships there's another 15% gone. I'd say don't worry about it. And now I want to hear it!

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I rewrote 'make it with you' (new lyrics, same chords) without knowing it. I thought i was ripping off Melissa, but it was Dave Gates!

Nobody caught it but me.

telestratosonic, yegbert, BB and 3 others like this.
  4. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Yeah the main riff from “right brigade” by bad brains.

getbent and swervinbob like this.
  5. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

For many years, I thought I had stolen a bassline from the Pailhead "Trait" album for my punk/metal/industrial screed against television (circa 1993 or so), but couldn't remember which song I'd accidentally lifted it from. I just listened to the whole album and none of those basslines match. What do I do now?

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I try not to do it, but I'll occaisionally borrow a lyric phrase.
    The first song I ever wrote borrowed the melody of Wayfairing Stranger.
    My chorus was different.
    Not my best work, and except for a 30+ year old demo, it's not available to critique.
    Good thing!

telestratosonic and swervinbob like this.
  7. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Well, there is only a certain amount of notes we use....
    I wrote a song a couple of weeks ago and came up with a riff in the verse which somehow reminded me of Saga.
    It became so annoying that I ended up zapping through Youtube videos from Saga, but couldn't find a matching riff.
    It's proof for me that Pop/Rock/Soul/Funk/whatever is simply full of "generic" phrases and chord progressions.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I read once that Billy Joel went to write the album that became the nylon curtain and was just blocked... so he took beat songs, started on the second chord and just stole'em and added his own words.

it always struck me as hilarious and perfect because it would sound 'unique' though familiar. What bugs me is when I have stolen from little known bands, what the heck is wrong with me, steal from people who demonstrated broad appeal!

and I did it 'MY own KIND a WAY'

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, a couple of times and I found it absolutely maddening after all of the development work. Aaaaargh.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I dreamt this song, being sung by Dwight in a fair festival setting

I was sure it was in fact an existing Dwight song, so when I woke up, I researched it, and could not find it in existence.
    So, I recorded it. And it's now a blowtorch song

thanks, Dwight
    :cool:

11. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I have written over 300 songs since I began playing back in 1957. Can't begin to tell you how many times I thought what I had written was original only to realize a few days later that it sounded an awful lot like another person's song. Oops, back to the drawing board!

Much easier to stay original when I am writing songs in the style of the 30's and 40's that use far more than three or four chords and include diminished and augmented chords, key modulations etc. Three or four chords songs tend to run out of new melody lines.

12. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

12 notes; I,IV,V

Only so many ways to stick a song together that modern ears will find attractive.

13. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

Yes, it happens to all of us who write.

14. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I heard Leo Kottke say that he worked a composition for a couple of weeks before realizing he had recreated Cripple Creek.

I think it’s fine to write a lyric over an existing melody. It’s a good way to be organized and make it singable. You can always put it over a different melody later or get somebody to collaborate.

15. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

I wrote a song and played it for 8 months before I realized it was Glass onion for two thirds of the song just played different style wise. But normally no the way I write songs is a little different than most other songs I hear and play. Of course when I write in a blues style it could be any one else's song.

16. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

There is no such thing as original. Everything derives from something that came before it. It's like Jerry Jeff Walker said. "It's all just public domain".

17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Artists are magpies. We build our nests out of what we steal. I've written two hundred songs, and there's not a single original thought in any of them.

The object of the game isn't to be original. It's to make something good with the materials at hand.

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I heard more than one songwriter say: amateurs borrow and professionals steal. If you're going to steal, steal the good stuff.

It's meant to be humorous. Take yourself seriously when working, but not necessarily your output when it's done.

Or something like that. My bandmate of 20 some years says, "Just keep playing".

19. Splodgeness

Splodgeness Tele-Meister

I was trying to find a melody and chords for verses to go with a chorus I'd written some time ago. Only after I'd put it all together and recorded a demo that I realised that the verse was pretty much a straight musical copy of the Stone Roses' "She Bangs the Drums".

Ah well........... :(

swervinbob likes this.
  20. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm....no.

After pondering my originals over the decades....not that I can define....nothing reminds me of anything I've heard in music land.
    But...since you've planted that thought I may just quit writing altogether to be sure I never risk that possibility. :)

Carry on....

P Thought and swervinbob like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.