Ever wish you had your old muscle car back?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Swee_tone, May 8, 2009.

1. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I really would love to have my old cars back!
    I really didn't have any "muscle cars" but I had some nice old cars, which I muscled up a bit, with some fancy rims / accesories.
    I stupidly never did take pictures , but here's similar what I had:

1965 Rambler: Mine was a powder blue, 3 on the tree, motor completely redone- straight 6
    [​IMG]

1969 Ford Fairlane fastback: mine was white, I did a lot of crazy driving in that little beauty...
    [​IMG]

1972 Ford Maverick Grabber:
    My first car at 16 years old!
    I took the old motor out, which was tired, and put in a 289 from a 66 Mustang... oh what a sweet little ride. I want one again!
    I never understood why these cars weren't more popular!
    It looked similar to this , except gold and brown, and aluminum slotted rims:

[​IMG]

Let's see and hear about your old beauties!

2. buddywayne

buddywayne Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, all my cars and all my guitars.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I had a '70 LeMans with the same 428/4bbl as a GTO. I'd be dead if I kept that one.

I also had a '70 ElCamino 396. Didn't bond, I had always wanted a '69.

My little sister had a 'something' Mercury Comet which looked just like a Ford Mavrick with a 289, factory headers, etc. She banged it up and it is still sitting out in the pasture at the home place. Those were ugly.

My advice: buy a 300ZX and be done with it.

4. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I would take any of these 3 back. The Duster with the 440 was the most wicked of the three.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. steve gibson

steve gibson Tele-Holic

Mine was a red 1964 Chevy Impala SS convertile with a 327 automatic. The best part of the automatic was the bench front seat!

Attached Files:

6. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

Yea those Lemans were a nice car. The average Lemans weren't really a high performance car were they? I can't recall. Yours sounds like it was.

My best friend had a 71 GTO at the same time I had my Grabber. It had a 400 with a Holley 650. Headman headers and stage 3? shift kit, Crane cams.(I still remeber the details?) It was a quick little gas pig.
    I loved the longer front end on those. He picked it up for something like $1200 at the time! It needed a paint job but the motor was all freshly done.
    He ended up painting it black with a massive red and orange Nike stripe! (shudder!)

Those 300 ZX are nice ,but not the same sort of idea. My friend has a 1990 non-turbo type with back seats, it's fast, corners well, but not the same vibe!

7. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

Nice cars! Now that Duster is what i'm talkin about! Yea!

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

YES! A resounding YES! I wish I still had my muscle car.

'72 Torino two door. It was modded heavily when I got it. Somebody had replaced the auto tranny with a three speed on the floor. And when I bought, the previous owner had just replaced the factory 351 Windsor (threw a rod) with a 429 out of a wrecked Ltd. Cragar SS mags, and the all important Starsky and Hutch paint scheme. I replaced the red factory interior with all black, and put in a pair of Ricarro (sp?) buckets. Also dropped in a Pioneer casette deck, a 100 watt amp, and a pair of Cerwin Vega 6X9's in the rear deck. When it wouldn't pass state inspection because the exaust was shot (old, old, pre-historic glass packs) I opted for a new set of headers, and dual flowmasters. Also put all of my paychecks into suspension and other upgrades, like and Edelbrock carb and intake, new cam, heads, everything. That car sounded mean as sh!+ and turned heads everywhere I went. It was pushing a little over 450 hp, and under the right circumstances, it would almost wheel stand.

With the three speed, it sucked to drive at all on the highway. But light to light, it was a beast nobody wanted to mess with.

I seriously wish I had a picture. I still miss it all the time.

9. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Definitely! I've had a 69 GTO Judge (an early one without the glovebox decal), a 70 Mustang 428 SCJ Drag Pack (coupe, one of 10 built) a 71 Mustang 351C sportsroof, another 69 GTO (not a Judge, though), a 71 Pontiac T-37 with a 69 Catalina 400, a 70 Firebird Formula 400, a 79 Pontiac Sunbird V8, a 76 Pontiac Sunbird V6 (heavily modded, it would put the smackdown on the highly touted 5.0 Mustangs of the day) and an 02 Subaru Impreza WRX.

And that, my friends, is the definition of "wasted youth."

10. emiller45

emiller45 Tele-Holic

Oh yeah!!! 1966 Olds 442 Convertible. Came stock with tri-power and 4:11 rear end.

11. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My Muscle Car phase in the Nineties:

I miss my one of these (same ugly green too as the one in this photo).

1977 Holden HZ Utility. 308 V8, 350 Turbo Trans, LSD ... 40 liter propane (LPG) tank.

[​IMG]

Next I had a 1970 Holden HQ Statesman De Ville. 350 V8, Trimatic ... ran on methane (CNG).

[​IMG]

My last V8 was a 1987 Holden VL Commodore. 304 V8, 5-speed ... ran on petrol.

[​IMG]

But now, I've wised up. My current beast is a Yamaha DT 175. Fifteen outrageous, stump-pulling, twostroke horsepower! It's more economical than a Prius (only just!) but leaves slightly more pollution in the form of massive clouds of smoke...

[​IMG]

12. 64Strat

The '64 Vette had a well built small block that made well over 400 hp and ran 13 sec at 110mph 1/4's. With enough traction, it would yank the front wheels off the ground.

The '71 Cuda was a 383 4bbl with a 4 spd pistol grip Hurst car. Just a classic street cruiser that would turn heads.

The '71 Duster with a 500 hp 440 would run in the 10's with slicks. It had a 3 spd Torqueflite auto with a transbrake and B&M shifter with shift plate and high stall convertor and 4.88 Richmond gears and a spool. It was really cool after it was tubbed. The interior was removed and the car was put on a major "diet". This is the one that would give you "religion". :lol:

here is the Vette motor....
    [​IMG]

here is the Cuda 383 B motor
    [​IMG]

Oh!? and did I mention I owned a Hemi at one time????
    [​IMG]

13. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The closest thing I had to a muscle car was a VW Rabbit Diesel. :oops:

14. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I wish I had my '65 Mustang fastback still...:cry:

15. XKnight

XKnight Tele-Afflicted

I'd love to have my 70 Z28 back. It would probably be worth more than my house.

16. janothebear

janothebear Tele-Meister

'66 Mustang with the 289. I'd love to dig up pictures this weekend!

Man Hell Yeah I'd love to have her back!!

17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I guess my number one choice to have back would be my 1969 Corvette (L-88, 4sp, 4:11 posi, T-top)... Second choice would be tied between my 1969 Z-28 Camaro and my 1967 Camaro (425hp 327).

18. 64Strat

how about muscle bikes???? do they count?

we still race this one in pro mod. best et is 8.73 in the 1/4 at 148 mph with a little 113" v-twin. the 140" pro gas bike is coming out to play this summer.

[​IMG]

19. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

No.....Dad worked at a Buick Dealership, had a couple of GS 350's, been there done that.
    What I wanted was a Cosworth Vega....

20. evol04gt

evol04gt Tele-Holic

my grandfather had that same nash sitting beside his house from late 70s till a year after he passed away.. sweet car... his was more of a red yard stone though.. lol..

we will always remember these cars to be much nicer than they really were..... every time i remember that i miss the sound of my mustang, i remember the subaru is a 12 sec car, not 14. and the mustang had aweful brakes (even though medium sized discs) and cornered like an s10.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.