Ever think you were about to die?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Dec 13, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Struck by lightning???

I was very close to lightning strikes on two occasions, one was literally less than a foot from me and the other struck a tree I had just gotten that bad feeling under and started running.

Were you charred and smoking?
    I've actually almost broken my neck two twice also, and did some pretty serious permanent damage in those falls on my head.

2. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Amazing survival experiences on this thread with close calls and all.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Kelleycaster likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup.
    Often enough that I’m not scared or worried about it.
    I’ve had many misadventures, mostly at work, or driving to or from work.
    I got the scars to prove it.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Maybe 6 or 7 times all involving motor vehicles. I used to haul Fuel. I still haul Anhydrous Ammonia during planting season

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't think I thought about it much as they were occurring but I've done some really stupid stuff wherein I might of/should have died but didn't.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

Every day. Bad ticker.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When I was in my late teens I went to a movie with friends and took about 20 no doz pills. When I got home my heart was racing so fast I thought for sure I was going to die. I think I might have even written a note to my parents apologizing (rather than waking them and telling them I needed to go to the hospital). What an idiot.

One time in my early teens I was watching Saturday Night Live in my bedroom and chewing on the little bottom piece of a bic pen (I think it's called a nib) and Paul Simon walked on stage at the end of the show. He was so short I guffawed and sucked the nib into my throat and immediately couldn't breathe. I coughed it out, but I definitely thought I was going to die for a couple seconds.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I know the surgery is no picnic even the first time. I’ll bet they get the problems figured out for your revision.

Greggorios likes this.
  9. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I was about ten I went swimming. I was in the deep end of the pool and let out my air to stand on the bottom. I then pushed to go to the surface and didn’t make it. I didn’t float then and really don’t now. I walked over to the ladder and pushed up, grabbed it and pulled my head out. Huhh, deep breath. Never freaked out. I figured out I almost drowned later.

Greggorios and telemnemonics like this.
  10. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Around 4 or 5 years old. My older brother, by 15 & 1/2 yrs swung me around by my legs and crashed my head into the corner of the coffee table. Blood everywhere. At 7 I touched bare wires and my arms locked up in front of the electrical socket. I yanked myself out, probably saved me. I have had a few episodes through life. But wanting to die? When I came out of sinus surgery, it felt like a 2x4 was wedged between my eyes and the gal next to me is screaming like she is being disemboweled. Amazing how a shot of Demerol can change things in a short time. She was giggling and I was smiling where a couple of minutes prior we'd have made a deal with the devil.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I rolled a car at high speed, but I was kinda busy at the time and it was over before I could think I was about to die.

Once I was clinging to weeds growing out of the side of a big rock overlooking the Oregon Coast and it occurred to me that if these plants pulled loose I was gonna fall 100 feet into the Pacific Ocean. It was a nice view though.

I almost drowned once scuba diving in Yap because I let go of the boat after taking off my tank/BCD, mask and fins, but luckily I was able to get one fin back on and kick my way to the surface. Only afterwards did it occur to me that I coulda just dropped my weight belt... :rolleyes:

Greggorios and Milspec like this.
  12. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Fatal accident near misses ? Yup. A few.
    Diagnosed with cancer and went through a 6 month treatment program that nearly killed me ? Once.
    Just coming back from it now.
    It changed me in ways you can, and can't ... see. Funnily enough I like almost all of the changes. There's only 2 that bother me.

drlucky, Greggorios and Milspec like this.
  13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I never broke a bone as a child. Nothing even serious.
    I always remember thinking that my real life would start at age 31.
    I was right: one job required me wearing a tie as a supervisor around machinery. Even that clip-on tie has caused me serious neck pain since it was grabbed by rotating machinery.
    Also in my 30s I broke an average of one bone per year, and usually in my face. Two broken noses, two broken cheek bones, one broken eye socket, etc.
    You don't get a face like this without breaking a few bones.

Anyway yes, I've had lots of close encounters with morality but I really can't count anything that involved alcohol or me driving fast.

There's lots of real survivors here.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Dang, this is the scariest thread that I have ever read.

Wow. Like really wow. You people have gone through the ringer. Whew, very scary stuff.

I always thought I was just damn lucky. Now I know it.

Kelleycaster and Greggorios like this.
  15. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

I "thought" I was dying the first time I had a Gall Bladder attack. The next time I kinda wished I was dead. A female cousin of mine also had gall bladder attacks. She compared the pain to child birth. No idea if that's true or not, but it sure hurts like hell...

Milspec likes this.
  16. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

I posted the below in another TDPRI thread (March 2018) about scariest moment in my life but also applicable to this thread:

It was in the summer of 1968 while serving in the US Navy. We had departed Naples, Italy with an overloaded C-130 that barely cleared rooftops of some buildings as we climbed out. Unknown to me at the time, the governor on the number 4 engine had failed and it had to be shutdown (this explained why the climb out was so slow). The flight engineer (enlisted) wanted to abort the flight and return to Naples but the plane commander declined saying we could make it to Rota, Spain (our home base) even if we had to glide in. All went well for the next few hours then the scariest moment of my life began!

As we neared Palm Majorca, Spain cruising at 20,000 feet the governor on number 2 engine began to overheat (most likely due to the strain caused by the overload weight and loss of number 4 engine). The pilot ordered the flight engineer to feather the number 2 engine to reduce drag on the aircraft as we were starting to lose altitude. The copilot panicked and incorrectly shutdown the number 3 engine at the same time.

With only the number 1 engine running, the aircraft started slipping to port (left) wing down. As the aircraft dropped at an accelerated speed, there were shouts from others yelling we had NO starboard (right) engines, the fear set in! The 1st class petty officer sitting next to me turned a pale white and began praying; others were yelling words of encouragement towards the flight deck. Myself, I was in a state of eerie calm but knew that I was about to die!

Within a few minutes (seemed like hours) the pilots managed to bring the aircraft under control, but looking out the window I could see we were really close to the ocean surface. So I didn’t die after all, I thought, but would I survive a ditching at sea. Those fears were soon (somewhat) reduced when the load master told all of to get ready for a potential crash landing at the Palm Majorca airport. I later found out that we were at 2000 feet unable to clime and losing altitude. Landing would be a challenge for the pilot because at the far end of the runway (we were making an emergency landing on) was olive groves followed by some large hills.

At the aircraft neared the runway the pilot suddenly applied power and pitched the nose up; the aircraft shook violently and bangs and other noises could be hear coming from the direction of the planes undercarriage – this is when I lost it – I was going to die!

God must have been co-piloting the plane because we didn’t crash but accomplished a go-around and made a hard landing. After making an emergency evacuation of the aircraft (brakes hot, tires looked pretty messed up and a lot of olive oil on the undercarriage) my legs became rubber. For a few minutes I could only babble but it wasn’t long before the Spanish Air Force personal show up, checked us out and then took us to their canteen for adult beverages (this really helped).

drlucky, RodeoTex, Greggorios and 2 others like this.
  17. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I’m sure hoping so, but am doubtful.

18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, the first strike nailed me in the shoulder and exited out my right foot. I was lucky, kept all my toes and didn't suffer any serious burns. What it did do though was weld my fillings together on my right molars so I couldn't open my mouth at the hospital. Initially they assumed I was brain damaged since I couldn't speak.

The second one hit me while standing in a metal stairwell on the side of a hotel. No idea where it hit me or if it just hit the metal and passed through me. No damage that time either except for the obvious pain after being revived.

The advice I always give people is that I didn't sense the hairs on my neck or anything prior to the hit. Instead, I felt like a piano was about to fall on my head....just had enough time to flinch before each strike. I've had the feeling a few more times since and the strikes were less than 30 yards away (hit a tree once and the bed of a truck the second time) so if you ever get that kind of feeling now that you were VERY close to getting lit up. Experts tell you that your best defense is to bend over and stick your butt in the air, but I never thought that fast to try it.

grayback and telemnemonics like this.
  19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep...

I took a couple of nasty tumbles mountaineering when i thought I was a goner.

Greggorios likes this.
  20. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Just had a vasectomy, does that count? ‍:confused::confused:

ppg677 and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.