Ever think you were about to die?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Dec 13, 2019.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have...on a few occasions.
    Here's the latest.
    In the recovery room after a knee replacement.
    3rd operation on this knee and it was rough.
    Woke up in extreme pain...evidenced by my blood pressure being very high...and me saying, "OW,OW,OWWWWWW" of course.
    They pumped me so full of pain killers, I started to have trouble breathing.
    Classic opiate/opiod OD.
    Now I have a nervous nurse shaking me to keep me awake and barking "BREATHE" at me while another gets an oxygen mask.
    Still struggling to stay awake and breathe enough for Nurse Nervous.
    I hear her saying to another nurse, I have "situational anxiety."
    I can barely talk because I'm half knocked out and have air blowing IN to my throat, so it's hard to get words out, but I tell her that's because the SITUATION is, I can't freakin' BREATHE.
    So I spend the whole night with a mask and a blood oxygen monitor that beeps every 30 seconds when the oxygen level drops and I have to breathe deep.
    As if a knee replacement isn't enough!

2. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I’m about to undergo a knee replacement revision due to being allergic to the implant they put in me 6 months ago. I’m allergic to the bone cement as well, but not much can be done there so we’re hoping the reaction isn’t too severe and can be treated with meds.
    If the reaction is as bad as it is right now they will need to buck on my leg above the knee.
    Hope your knee is better than mine.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

Had a bad infection which caused me to loose my left leg this year. Was given an antibiotic that I was apparently allergic to which I didn’t know. Flatlined for one minute. Woke up to seven doctors and nurses who were trying to revive me.

jannodude and Greggorios like this.
  4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup. Involved a bicycle and an 18 wheeler. Guess which one I was driving.

Cheers,
    Geoff

5. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was riding a 70s Honda 750 Four at a high rate of speed while following an 80 something Impala. We come up on a traffic light which was turning yellow. We were pretty close to the light and I “assumed” he was going for it but he changed his mind and locked it up to get stopped at the light. I was too close to stop without crashing into the back of his car so I went around his left side.

The problem was, a city bus coming from the other direction had been waiting at the light and now had a green left turn arrow which was going to put it in my path and I was about to hit it broadside at over 50 mph.

I fully admit that I was in the wrong for speeding, following too close and not being a very good rider.

I did the only thing I thought I had a chance of doing to get me out of this situation: I gave the bike full throttle. I went tight around the left side of the Impala, leaned hard right then left to straighten up. The bus driver slammed his brakes and I grazed the front of his bus with my left shoulder.

I yelled “NO!” so loud from inside my helmet that it made my ears ring. I drove about another half block and had to pull over to get my stuff together. I was shaking so bad, lol.

I didn’t die.

6. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Damn. Sorry about your leg but glad you’re here.

Bassman8, rz350, elihu and 3 others like this.
  7. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

So am I...thank you.

Mad Kiwi, rz350, Greggorios and 2 others like this.
  8. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Couple of times.

Once starring down a knife wielding racist intent upon putting an end to spouse and I...we survived and he went to prison. It only cost me my ability to play stringed instruments.

Two years ago my small intestine let go (a long story) leaving me in pain I didn't think a living creature was designed to endure. Spouse found me curled up, in and out of consciousness, and called an ambulance.

I didn't think I was going to survive the ride. I was having a mental conversation with my dog, who had passed two years earlier, telling him I was on my way and looking forward to seeing him again. Then the EMT would do a chest rub with his knuckle to wake me up...the butthole.

I guess I spent 10 hours in surgery that night. I don't remember it. This one cost me 25cm of small intestine and a couple weeks in hospital.

Greggorios, Torren61 and RodeoTex like this.
  9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. The hang time between being on a Motorcycle and hit by a car and landing on the ground.

Torren61, Dan German and Fretting out like this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Yes a couple times but it was only long enough for the obligatory “oh! (Blank!)”
    And then Hit the ground or come around to realize “that hurt and that was close”

I’m just hoping when the real deal comes I’ll be lucky enough to only have an “oh” moment before the end

Dennyf, 24 track and Torren61 like this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

a heart arrhythmia that lasted 30 seconds

I was sitting on the bed watching my wife do her hair

Telecaster88, 24 track and Torren61 like this.
  12. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In my (first try) college days. For complicated reasons, it seemed like a good idea to paddle out into a small lake late at night in a cheap rubber boat. Then, it seemed like a good idea for me to swim from said boat back to the dock in jeans (I’m a lousy swimmer). I still clearly remember the feeling of trying to grab hold of the dock, utterly exhausted. I finally grabbed it, but didn’t have strength to lift myself. My friends may or may not have known I left the boat. Also, there was a brown recluse under the dock boards.

telemnemonics and Torren61 like this.
  13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have come sooo close on sooo many occasionsthat I dont question it any more
    beside stepping out of a moving vehicle at 70 KM P/H

while working underground in a mine in the Yukon , I went into my stope ( work site ) to find a boulder about 6 feet tall and about 5 feet in diameter right in my work area so off I set with a 12lb sledge hammer to break it all down so I can start my days work , 6 hours later I had chipped away on the botton of the rock so that with the help of a linning bar I was able flip the boulder on its side, a few more swings of the sledge and then I saw it.........2 small guage wires , i pulled carefully and out pops 8 sticks of Cygel 70% nitro glycerine dynamite followed by a blasting cap, and I have been pounding on this rock for 6 hrs , due to government regulations a minner has to drill so many holes set the flash cord then count the number of rounds before he leaves the mine and if he sets 6 charges and only counts 5 he has to report it to the mine captain , I was neither informed there were live rounds or any hazards when I was assigned to that area, needless to say I was not warm and fuzzy when I came out of that site that day.

no i dont believe in my maker

14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Dang, I find it hard to click the 'like' button on any of these posts, but I really mean 'I sympathize'.

Kelleycaster, rz350, Slip Kid and 9 others like this.
  15. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Yeppers.
    1. When I was alone (with the fam beagle) on a winter's night and fell through the ice. Was able to roll up on the hole's breaking edge that one last time. Don't remember making it home, which luckily was just a 1/4 mile away. It was about 12 degrees out.
    2. When I was on a small motorcycle going about 40 mph and crossed a highway inches across the front of a Mack truck going about 55, missing it/it missing me only 'cause I squeezed the clutch instead of the brake. Had I slowed just a bit....
    3. When someone shot at me. Twice within 15 feels-like-an-eternity seconds or so. Because I dared to park my car on the public street beside his house. Serious meth head, it turns out, soon to be caught and sent way up the big house.
    4. When I was hunting grouse in snow-bowed spruce branches, my shotgun muzzle got plugged with said snow, and I put it in my mouth to suck out the snow since the grouse were all around us--having taken the safety off, while walking over stumble-inducing spruce tree roots. And with my finger on the trigger. I was 13, shouldn't have been entrusted with a broken slingshot, and puked out breakfast and ejected the shells when I realized what I'd (so almost) done.
    5. When I came out of a mom-&-pop store and a guy put a knife at my neck to mug me. (Young and dumb, I reacted by sprinting away. He musta been junked out, 'cause I was able to circle the block right back to the front of the store, jump in my car, and peel off.)
    6. When two different cops pointed guns at me from five feet away. (First time, I was working to clean a big church after a festival ended, and had startled the cop guarding the place (it was a bad 'hood) by accidentally banging my mop handle on a stair landing above me. Second time was a few years ago when I was chasing away collegekid sociopaths tormenting a stray dog on my picket fence. The arriving cop saw the bat in my hand and fury in my face and pulled his gun. At which point I thought, "I'm in just my boxer shorts, but I sure feel naked.")
    7. When I was wading the James River and tried to cross back to the far bank at dusk, though I had fished too long and could no longer see where to step. Mr. James bounced my noggin off the rocks until one luckily splatted me out so I could regain consciousness and breath, whereupon I hobbled slowly over the rocks to that far side.
    8. When I swam into a notorious New River undertow hole that I was stupidly ignorant about and only a friend's former-state-champ swimming skills pulled me up from going down that last time, my young sons watching the whole thing in horror.
    9. When I kissed a dog from a farm neighboring where fiancee#1 and I were cottaging. The dog was carrying a virus from cattle that put me in a coma, after putting me in a 105 fever. Incredible neck and head pain--at first, docs thought it was meningitis. Told the fiancee at the hospital to tell that repeatedly screaming moron to shut up. She said, "That's you doing the screaming." When I woke up to see my parents' rabbi giving me last rites, apparently I told him, "Can you move away from the TV? The World Series is probably on."
    10. When I had a panic attack (I am very claustrophobic) driving through West Virginia's bottom-of-the-world-dark hollers and veered off on what I thought was a road that would return me to the de-panicky interstate. When I realized that the road was narrowing and a wall of pure black was before me, I stopped. To find that I was just feet from driving over a road that a vast strip mine had gnawed away to the edge of a several-hundred-feet pure drop. No signs, no barriers on the road. Only dumb luck/a very worn-out guardian angel kept me from plummeting off its edge.

I'll leave out the comparatively modest airline accident in Colorado Springs....

Ga-LAD to be here!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    KyAnne, drlucky, jman72 and 7 others like this.
  16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Wow! You bikers are reminding me why I never got a motorcycle. Well, that, and more money for guitars. :twisted:

Five years ago this past August, I had a heart attack. That wasn’t the scary—well, the scariest—part.

The next day, they did a procedure (angioplasty? angio- something) to determine the level of blockage. And to check that, some genius figured it would be best to insert the catheter in through the groin! :eek:o_O

And before that procedure, they shaved me from my toes to my crotch. And the razor jockey that did the job had all the sensitivity of Wolverine! He even nicked me very near to a place better left un-nicked!

Then he left me on the table naked with a sheet bunched up around my nether regions, until the doctor came in. Of course, he had 37 female nurses with him, and there I was on display. I had never had a sexual fantasy about nurses in hospitals before that experience, and I certainly never will now!

The anesthesiologist then forewarned me of the injection to come by saying, “Okay, a little stick here.” The way my luck had been running to that point, I counted myself fortunate that he didn’t say “Okay, a little ***** here.”

Thankfully, I don’t remember anything after that. When I woke up, my wife told me the percentages of blockage in my arteries. I don’t remember what they were, but then I never was good at higher math.

So the next day I had a quadruple bypass. I won’t go into any more detail. I just can honestly say I faced my mortality. I can also honestly say that the loss of dignity at the hands of surgeons and hospital staff was far more disconcerting than the surgery.

17. Loaded Goat

Loaded Goat TDPRI Member

Several times...

18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

About to....and have 6 times now.

Drowned twice
    Struck by lightning twice (both in the same year nonetheless)
    Two flatlines during surgery (neck fracture / gallbladder)

i seem to always die in doubles, but I am pretty certain that when I finally die and remain dead....it will piss me off. Until then, I am living proof to the value of having friends trained in CPR.

19. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Had a guy wave a broken bottle at me in a back alley in Barcelona after I pushed him down when he tried to stick his hand in my pocket and take my passport (weirdly he wasn't really a pickpocket, he just walked up to me and reached in my pocket...). I didn't exactly think I was going to die, but it was pretty intense.

I rolled a car over (and through a palm tree) once. I never did find my left shoe...

Driving home from work at 2am once a car came up behind me REALLY fast (I was doing 80, he must have been 120+), I let off the gas and stayed in my lane, figuring it would be best to let him go around me rather than try to get out of his way. He violently swerved around me and back into the right lane, whereupon his car spun sideways before regaining traction and shooting off into the trees on the side of the highway. All of this seemed to happen in slow motion as I watched, including the finale where one of his wheels comes bouncing back across the road and just narrowly hops over my car, only putting a tiny ding in my roof. I barely even had a chance to hit my brakes before it was over and it took me a minute to process what I'd seen and realize I needed to call 911 and tell them that guy was probably dead...

I've also almost shot myself at least twice, both times doing something I should have know better than to do (playing with guns in the true, dumb sense of the word) only to realize after the fact that I had been a twitch away from death. Those are the ones that still give me chills.

Telecaster88 and 24 track like this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Damn Charlie, I hope they get that knee right soon!
    Scary not being able to breathe, I needed ER treatment a couple times as a kid with asthma, largely because eeping me away from dogs in Maine was never seen as a possibility.
    Lots od dumb and chance stuff since including car and motorcycle crashes etc, then heroin addiction including regaining consciousness often choked on vomit and alone, ODs that didn't take me.
    My first rehab after a couple of days i guess I hear women yelling like i was dreaming.
    It was nurses who thought I was dead because they couldn't find any vitals.

But oddly I've never thought I was going to die.
    Now and then I do think i might get maimed though...

Greggorios and 24 track like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.