Ever strung an Eletric with flats?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Dec 23, 2018.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I have them on my Squier Standard Strat, tuned down to C, primarily for slide playing. I also have a set on my Danelectro Baritone.

Shuster likes this.
  2. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

I play 50's style rock n roll and rockabilly. I go back and forth on Flats and Roundwounds on my Strat, Tele and Jazzmaster. While I LOVE flatwounds, they seem to bottom out (bass frequency flub/distortion/mush). I can't seem to GET the clarity I need with Flats - at least with D'Adarrio Chromes. I may try a set of Thomastic to see if they have better clarity.

Shuster likes this.
  3. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

I have a couple of guitars with them. For those who play Synth Guitars with the Piezo type transducers they're the only way to fly. Reduces the false triggers by 90%

Shuster likes this.
  4. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

It's not the most practical that way, but I like the vibe of it, too. The guy who owns the thinline model gigs with it and says he loves it. Myself, I've got some high fret stuff in my normal repertoire and as long as I remember there's no cutaway, I can shift it a bit and reach those frets anyway. You're not going to be tweedly-deedling up there like Vai or anything, but they're reachable.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I understand the lazy part -- that's why I like locking tuners -- changing strings is a breeze.

Nickadermis and Shuster like this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

This thread has been interesting -- there are more flatwounds in TDPRI-land than I would have guessed.

Shuster likes this.
  7. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I think it may be an evolutionary thing? I can remember being light heartedly made fun of for playing flatwounds here by some. Something about the strings being dead sounding from the beginning or the like. I just like the sounds that they give me so I’m happy anyway and they are really easy on my fingers too:)

Shuster likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

Some folks say "dead sounding", I say "like voices from a spirit world".

9. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I was tempted to try flat-wounds but at £18.00 per set ($23.00) I've been cured of making potentially rash decisions. Even bass strings are cheaper than that. :eek:

Shuster likes this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

On my Jaguar for Surf Music. I tried them on other guitars, but never kept them on for long. I had Pyramids on my Rickenbacker 12 string, but the low E didn't intonate, so I went back to rounds.

Shuster likes this.
  11. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

On my modded VM Jazzmaster special I recently went from Dad round 9s to Chrome 10s. I also swapped out the saddles from all brass to Gotoh titanium on the e/a,d/g and brass on b/e and got major snap and twang much to my surprise..... I like it! As a result, I ordered some TIs to try.

IMG_1086.JPG

Shuster likes this.
  12. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I keep flats on my "noodling" guitar that lives in my living room. That way I can play unplugged when watching TV without bothering my wife, who has much better hearing than I do, and she's bothered by string squeak a lot. It's also the best way to go for a good jazz tone from a Tele. Put on flats, roll tone knob all the way down, then adjust it up until you like the sound.

Shuster and Nickadermis like this.
  13. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

I put some on my Ibanez semi-hollow. Played a few minutes, put it back on the wall and haven't taken it down since.

Shuster likes this.
  14. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

About 25 years ago I fitted a set of Chrome 13s to my (blocked trem) Kasuga Strat copy. It had a great tone for slide, and I could tune it down to B-B, long before Baritones became trendy, without getting flabby. I left the strings on it for about five years until someone borrowed it and broke one. At the time I only had two guitars, a couple of years ago I bought a set of 11s and one of 13s, I need to decided which of the many guitars I have to fit them on, but will do soon.

Shuster and Nickadermis like this.
  15. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I put a set of Chromies on my archtop build last year and love them, but at $30 a set over here I'm not thinking of trying them on my other guitars.

Shuster likes this.
  16. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Only on my jazz box. I like Teles to bite and scratch......

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.