Ever start a new job that turned out to be a disaster ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Ever get a new job, with all your hopes and dreams that maybe this will be a good one, only to soon find out that the company sucks, the job is horrible, it was all a huge mistake taking the offer?

I started a new job this last June. 6 weeks into it, I was told my contract was being terminated immediately.... because my background check showed that I never registered with the Selective Service back when I was 18 years old (34 years ago). Thanks guys, maybe ya'll could have figured that out before making me an offer and I quit my previous job? Oh well.. :mad:

Another job I took awhile back was a real sweat shop, employees forced to work 40+ hours in the office, then go home and work all kinds of extra nights and weekends, with never any flex or comp time given. One lady was often told she had to work past midnight at home, then be in the office at 5am the next morning.

It is hard to tell if a new job is going to be any good or not. Ever gotten one that really sucked, and you quickly had to find another job instead? So it goes...

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I didn't register w/ SS when I turned 18 but a couple years later I had to as they were going to terminate some student aid.

Sucks about your job Big Bend.

All the ones I took and regretted were way late which meant I got abused for years before I smartened up and split.

Have been self-employed for almost 20 years but lately that's been a hassle as the work is getting harder/more involved/more on the line - and it all falls on me.

Crabgrass grows on both sides of the fence...

3. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

LOL......3 days.

It was.....supposed to be 9-5 M-F.
    Second day, they changed by days off and working hours.
    Screw 'em...........................

Steve

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry to hear that.

I've had a few. One was in a customer service call center for a company that did background checks. We'd deal with people who had gotten background checks and didn't like the results, or the people asking for the background checks. The guy that hired me was a former Sheriff's deputy who had trained me in defensive driving in another job. We got along great and he promised me that I'd get good training and things would go well. A week or so later I see him walking out of the building with a box with his belongings, never to be seen again.

The new supervisor is this chick with piercings, talked like a Valley Girl and had a very unsupportive attitude. My training is to read some manual with regulations about what I can and cannot say and to listen in on the calls of other people who have been there a while. There were supposed to be online templates with answers to FAQ's and other helpful info. They were still being tweaked. Two weeks later there was going to be a Friday pizza day to celebrate what a good job everyone was doing. That Thursday I got a call from the temp agency that got me in there telling me to check my e-mail. I'd been fired by e-mail. Oh, wait. I wasn't fired. My contract was cancelled. NO PIZZA FOR YOU!

Forbes Magazine has an article on their website about how to know if a job isn't going to work out at the interview.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan...hat-scream-do-not-take-this-job/#e5587e53a541

I know a couple of people who work with people looking for work to help them sharpen their focus and go for better situations. Let me know and I'll pass their contact info.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Yup. You just never know. I developed a couple of sidelines - house painting, graphic design - so that whenever things didn't pan out, I'd have something to keep me out of trouble. I've been fired more times than the Puffed Wheat cannon.

The fantasy has always been to sell a song. When reality isn't doing it for you, a little bit of fantasy will get you through!

6. fulcifan

fulcifan TDPRI Member

Yes. About 18 year's ago I worked for a local guy that did lawn care and outdoor work....for about one day. That's when I found out he was an ex-marine that was bi-polar and had anger issues....and had a dishonorable discharge for almost beating someone (another marine?) to death.
    LMFAO in Michigan.

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

BB, seeing as you're 52 the whole issue seems more than moot. I think they gave you a fictitious cause. Probably, they found out you you are a musician that hosts an open mic.

Just kidding. Yes, I once started a new job in a pork plant. My first job was turning pork bellies 90 degrees on a packaging line. I could have cobbled a mechanism to do my job in about an hour. My second job was even stupider. I left at the first break whistle.

wayloncash likes this.
  8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh yeah. It was an associates position with a branch of a major big league insurance company I won't bother to name other than to say it was "rocky" ;) relationship from the get go.

I've never been lied to and been cheated out of money like that in my entire career. Not one single thing they offered when the recruited me was ever delivered on. It was a bad deal for me all the way around.

9. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Every job I ever had... and left.

wayloncash likes this.
  10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was part of a group of 20 people who trained for 4 weeks in 1969 to become a Mark IV programmer. They hired 5 of the applicants. I was number 5. A week later they said they only needed 4. I went on to become a Fortran IV programmer and my whole life changed.

11. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

I've had a couple, they were medical jobs where I was told "X" was my duties at the interview but once I showed up it was "X Y Z plus A-M". And one where I was told multiple times I HAD to punch out a couple hours early, but had to stay and work my entire shift. Not surprisingly both those places are no longer in business. I think every job I've left was because the good manager left or was let go, and the new boss came in and screwed everything up. Ugh. Working for a living is reeeeally getting old...

12. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Just this year I got a job managing production at a marketing company. I knew going in that the owner would be a challenge to work with, but I have always done ok with difficult clients/bosses.

2 months later, I am having nausea in the morning from the stress of the environment, largely brought on by the unpredictable nature of the owner.

I did something I have never done in 40 years of working, I resigned without having a new job in place. Life is just too damn short.

Found a new job in two weeks that is a much better fit.

13. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I lost my job right after (and as a result of) 9/11. There was a month of feeling like the world might (literally) end, with not a lot of hiring going on. I took the first thing that came my way, and actually felt pretty good about it. My third day, as I was going around and introducing myself, it became clear to me that the person who hired me didn't in fact have the authority to do so. Furthermore, she was about to be fired. Sort of like the John Hiatt line:

The guy who hired you
    just got fired.
    Your job's expired.
    They just ain't told you yet.

Bizarrely, because they liked me, they promoted me into a position that was two levels higher with somewhat less of a raise. Cheap management! That didn't last too long either.

14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

It all depends how hungry I am . They say that you should give a new job 6 months . That being said I am not going to waste their time or mine .

15. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

Every time

16. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't start this job, but it was a hilarious "interview". Firm was a one man set up, he showed me around and gave me the rundown, I fired a few questions, all seemed ok.....till I asked about overtime...."OVERTIME"???? lol reminded of Mr. Bumble from Oliver Twist.

17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

My son interviewed with a company back east for 2 days. Flew home all excited telling his family and the rest of the family what a great job it was, how happy they were all going to be on the east coast. Company even told him they would offer him a ten thousand dollar moving allowance since he was reloacating from so far away.
    You probably have already guessed where this is going.
    He was to report on a Monday July the 2nd.
    He moves his family all the way across the country they, were all staying in a hotel when he reported for work, only to find that the HR manager had "left the company" and that there had been a change of direction and his employment offer they knew nothing about, but they were sure they wouldn't be needing him.
    I spent his whole drive back listening to him vent about how wronged he was, and I agreed, of course.
    The cost in out right cash, the wear and tear on his brain, it was a very upsetting time for the whole family.
    Moral of this story, these days anything can happen when it comes to employment, they fire you, you fire them, there is no such thing as employee loyalty in any company who has investors. Their opinions are the only ones that matter, employees, management are all expendable.

18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

just started a new job today...kinda knew what it was going to be like...but i had zero income...i had to take it...some good some bad about it...best way to get a job is when you have one...11:30am to 8pm shift...that will take time to get used to..going t o give it a try for now

i did have a job i worked at for one day back in 04...they told me stuff in the interview but some things turned out to not be what they told me...why cant they tell you whats what...save me the hassle of taking the job and then quitting the next...oh it wasnt anything shady...its just a couple aspects i wouldnt want to do at the job...well i didnt have to do them after i quit!

19. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Just let me say, unequivocally, if you didn't register for the Selective Service, I have 0 sympathy. In fact I would go so far as to say you deserved what you got.

tery and boredguy6060 like this.
  20. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I'm 28...since I turned 18, I've had 13 different jobs. So, there have been a few doozies in there.

I had just quit my job as a valet (3/4 of the staff were college grads...the other 1/4 were college students working part time after classes, but that's another rant) to take a job at a "family" company assembling some machinery. They kept reiterating that "family" aspect and using it as a cutesy excuse whenever something went awry...You know, like on the first day when I was plopped into a forklift and made to lift another dude up to the top shelf to grab some stuff. I told 'em no, I wouldn't, it's not safe, I'm OSHA certified, and I've literally never driven a forklift before, but they said that yes it is safe, OSHA doesn't matter because "we're a family company," and that if I didn't do it, I could walk my ass right out the door.

I wound up soldering some PCB's for a few days (again, no PPE was offered because "it's a family company!"), then wiring the machines up properly. While I did take a shine to it, despite never having done commercial/industrial wiring before, they let me go after 4 weeks because "I wasn't enjoying my work enough." Then, they declined my unemployment claims for 3 months ("oh, we're just a family company, we can't afford that"), until it went in front of a judge who said that they had absolutely no right to deny my claim, and ruled in my favor.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.