Ever spilled beer in or on your guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by afteryou, Jun 11, 2013.

1. afteryou

afteryou Tele-Meister

I was playing my acoustic the other day. Between songs I took a hasty swig off my brew and almost spilled it down the sound hole!:eek: Has anyone spilled beer in the sound hole or on an electric? I would find it hard to believe this has never happened.

Lets hear some stories. What happened, smoking electronics, warped stinky wood. What would you do if this happened? I need to prepare myself for the inevitable.:D

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I played in a punk band at the Mabuhay... my old Strat experienced gallons of beer and other stuff.

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

hey afteryou - where are you at in Alaska? My boy is living up there, working at a roadhouse near Denali Park.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would say that in my wilder youth I have spilled more beer than the average person will consume in a lifetime. Some of it has wound up on guitars, cabinets, and pedals, though I was always really careful around the amps themselves. I have also had plenty of other people spill crap on my pedals, too. It's good for 'em, gives 'em mojo (right up until the sparks and smoke start coming out).

5. afteryou

afteryou Tele-Meister

I'm in South East. Denali is a long way from here. :D

6. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Playing at a youngsters mixer at my sports club I was 19, we hit Blink 182 All The Small Things, spontaneous mosh appeared inches from my face, pedals were stomped, singer was knocked back, drinks swoshed on my Valley Arts.

Good times.

7. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

I remember a story about Hank Williams, some new upcoming singer had come to Nashville to play on the Grand Ole Opry and they put him up in this boarding house. Well that weekend Hank was staying at that same boarding house, probably because Miss Audrey had kicked him out that week. This new singer was a big fan of Hank, and when Hank invited this kid into his room for a drink the kid went for it. After a while the kid goes back to his room to get his brand new Martin D-28 that he had just bought for his big Grand Ole Opry debut. He brings it back to the room for Hank to look at, Hank strums a chord then opens a beer and pours the whole thing right inside the guitar. The kid is sitting there in shock over what just happened to his brand new Martin guitar. Then Hank starts moving the guitar around making sure the beer inside hits every thing through out the guitar, then he goes to the sink and pours it out. Walks over to the wall radiator heater and puts the guitar up to it to dry out. Then he tells the kid that he does that to every new guitar he gets and it just makes them open up and sing like a bird. After it drys out for an hour or so Hank strums another chord, and the kid is amazed at how much louder and how much better the guitar does sound. Either that or the hour more of drinking they just did made him believe everything Hank told him.
    Wish I could remember the rest of the story and who the kid was, seems like it was someone like Faron Young or Ray Price. I know Hank ended up with Faron's girlfriend he came to town with.

8. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

That would have been a great question to have asked Hank Williams and George Jones .

9. Belhade

Belhade Tele-Meister

Or Danny Gatton! Just Google/YouTube Danny Gatton beer slide.

Sent from my EVO Shift using TDPRI

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I've always wanted to know how much beer a saxophone holds?

11. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I used to play slide with a beer pitcher, so, um, yes....

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Wish you hadn't told this story. Now some folks are gonna insist that the brand or type of beer used can affect tone too. Maybe a light lager can brighten it up a bit. ;)

13. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Short answer: of course I've spilled beer on my guitars. And basses.

14. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Pilsner. Everybody knows that.

I think it would have been more efficient to ask whether there was anyone here who hasn't spilled an adult beverage on their guitar.

15. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

You know there are better ways to get a chorus effect then spilling your beer down the sound hole.

16. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

It wasn't on his bass, but at a recent gig our bass player spilled beer on his copy of the set list before we had even played our first song, and it blotted out everything on the list...

17. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

It's all about perspective. I've been known on occasion to spill guitar on my beer.

18. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

My family lived in Coffman Cove, AK for about three years before moving up to Palmer, AK.

I still miss it...

19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My band played a biker bar in the St. John's area of Portland in the early 70s. What an awesome gig. We got $150 a night for several nights a week. In fact, the bar manager was so loaded all the time that we eventually just started telling him which nights we would be playing next week. The clientele was mostly male bikers who liked their music loud and fast. Our songs were mostly original and early jazz fusion. Not much dancing and a lot of pool shooting. One night, a guy was talking to us during a break and accidentally spill a glass of beer on my 54 Strat. Instantly, he sprung into action finding a cloth, or maybe a t-shirt, and soaking it up right away. Then polishing and buffing. The whole time, he was the sweetest pussycat, apologizing over and over. As I said, it was a great gig. Earlier in my career, I had learned the ins and outs of eye contact in biker places. This bar was the graduate school of eye contact. You had to walk as if you were ready to shoot someone the eye, if they were going to go that route. I wasn't particularly worried about it, though, because I had long learned the basic principle of befriending the toughest guys in the place, who then had your back.

20. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Those are two unrelated activities in my current lifestyle.
    Maybe I should try a new routine once-in-a-while, you know-mix it up a little! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.