Ever sold a tele and wish you had not?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telecatasin, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Telecatasin

Telecatasin Tele-Meister

We all do silly things in life, its only human, but if your like me and sold one of the best guitars I ever owned just to buy something else, well Im so DUMB. How about you?

Here she is, or was, even had the b bender, ash wood, maple neck which felt like butter to play.

Attached Files:

2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I had a nice sunburst Japanese 62 reissue Tele custom in sunburst that I bought in 1997.It was one great Tele...I didn't touch my Strats for a month which is amazing considering Strats are my number one guitar!!!This one just had such a nice vibe....real Tele honky ,midrangy twang on the bridge pickup and a cool Blues tone on the neck pickup that actually handled Strat type licks naturaly.I sold it because I borrowed cash from a friend to go on what ended up being a lousy vacation for a week and wanted to pay him back soon.What a fool I was!!!

3. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

My 2007ish '52 RI that I had refinished in Dakota Red. I had a VERY hard time finding another Tele as good as it until the Pure Vintage models came along. I had that sellers regret for many years after letting that go, and I wouldn't be surprised if the loss of that guitar sent me into the crazy buyer I am today. But I can happily say I would not trade any of my current Teles for it. So, there's always a "better" guitar out there I guess.

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Not a Telecaster, but I wish I hadn't given away a Hagstrom III.

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Yes, but I try not to look in the rear view mirror too much.

6. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

Yeah. Whish I'd never sold my first guitar (Squier protone Strat) Very nice strat. I should have kept it, if only for sentimental reasons. I've sold many over the years including a Gibson EDS-1275 Doubleneck. My only regret is that first strat :(

7. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Never sold a Tele, I only have 1 - an avri 52. I sold three Strats last year, though.

8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Kick myself every time I think about it.

[​IMG]

9. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I get a slight twinge of regret about selling my 50s Classic, especially when I see threads about them, but it was very heavy, too heavy for doing long sets with.

If I found a lighter weight one at a good price, I'd have one again.

10. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Yep, 2006 '52RI - 7lbs, 2-piece, centre-seam body, rang like a bell. Sold it thinking the next one will be just as good.... it wasn't!

Then there's the First Series 1982 JV '52 Tele I had, with the large Fender logo, or the black MIJ '54 Strat I sold, or the Sunburst '91 MIJ '62 Strat, several JD Teles, etc.

Thanks,

11. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

This: MJT neck, MIJ body and Bare knuckle brown sugars.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

12. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I had to sell a NashEC63 when I was in Texas. It sure would be cool to still have it.

13. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I included a Nash T63 in a trade for a Nocaster I had to have, immediately regretted giving up the Nash. It was already gone when I went back to the shop to buy it back.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I spend more time looking back than ahead. Pretty silly because I have guitars that are just as good as the one's I traded away. I think the guitars you trade away are kind of like we are the older they get the better they used to be.

15. Mr_Mer

Mr_Mer Tele-Holic

Yes

Cheap Indonesia made Squirer Tele. For some reason or another it sounded sweet and now miss it.

[​IMG]

16. gtrjones

gtrjones Tele-Holic

I had an original, very good condition 78 Antigua tele I prolly shoulda kept.

17. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I sold a blonde Lite Ash tele because at over 10lbs it was too heavy for long gigs. Didn't pay that much for it secondhand with a beautifully played-in feel and great action. Should have kept that one, if only for playing at home or taking on holiday.

18. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

My first refinish project, a MIM Telecaser, was a great guitar and I regret daily selling it. I don't even recall why I wanted to push it in the first place. I sold it on eBay over a year ago to a guy in Texas. I've asked him to let me know if he ever wants to sell it but he's never responded... Sad thing.

Attached Files:

19. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My second Telecaster - a Blonde 1965: not sold, but loaned ... Never got it back though.:oops: The guy whom I loaned it to, swapped it for another guitar, claiming it had a crack in the body. Well, it didn't, it was just the finish. He paid me back what I had originally bought it for though. Always missed that Tele, but the MIM 60's is a great substitute.

20. artpunk

artpunk Tele-Meister

I just don't understand how someone who has the benefit of a loaned guitar (or anything) thinks it's OK to do something like that! I only have one Tele and won't be selling it, but had a similar thing happen with my Korg MS-20 I bought new in the 80's - loaned it to a colleague who later gave it to his sister who took it interstate... :mad:
    He paid me for it, but I would have preferred the synth. Now I do not loan anything to anyone unless I don't care if I see it again or not.
    I know things are just 'things' - but some things are more equal than others!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.