Ever see a concert where the artist only played unreleased new material?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

This is true - she said you wolfed both down before she could pick up her fork, then got down on all fours and howled like a wolf saying you wanted 3 more pies

Greedy boy. Me and the rest of this forum put a LOT of love into those pies, and you got to wait for the cistern to refill

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always liked Aztec Two Step's first album, and still do. I saw them at the Celler Door in Georgetown and they maybe did one song that I recognized. Everything else was an obscurity and not that good. Big disappointment. However, several years ago I wanted to replace my old LP with a CD of that album and had to direct order it from one of the two, Neal Shulman, and he signed it, so that kind of made up for it.

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Never saw unreleased material but I remember going to concerts back when I was a teen in the late 80s and early 90s and the bands would "tour" their latest album and you heard all but a couple of songs off the new album.

Not so much that way anymore. Everybody just plays the hits and maybe sprinkles in a new song here and there.

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

they're a band where if you like one version of a song it can be kind of a pain to track it down. which is a hassle if you dj.

great though. hoping gen does well with her cancer.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. cyclopean

wire at one point were so adamant about refusing to play their old material that they hired a wire cover band as an opening act.

i had a bummer of a time at a billy bragg show when he basically only played old american songs about trains.

don't get me wrong - i like all those songs. i knew how to play about half of them, and they were songs i'd been jamming on with friends for years. and i wore out the billy bragg peel sessions tape twice.

the tour was not advertised as "billy bragg! but not playing his own songs!".

and it was expensive.

i also once saw pere ubu only play new songs. it was so so.

6. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

no.. but when paul mccartney said he was going to do some stuff from his new album last time he was in houston he also stated that it was time to go pee and get something to drink and consider it a live intermission... jus killed me that he was aware that people hadnt come to see his new songs . they wanted to hear hey jude..still. :( made me kind of sad ya know.

AAT65 and Digital Larry like this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I didn't Gen had cancer, that's awful :oops:. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Awww Naww, you boys had you chance, and all you proved is that you can't cut it. When only a bull will do, a pig ain't gonna hack it!

AAT65 and Piggy Stu like this.
  9. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I remember some bands in the early 80s playing mostly or all new material to the annoyance of many fans. But that was when bands toured to sell records, and the money was in record sales. Now the money is in touring, so bands play what the fans want to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Well, after seeing FZ a few times between 1975 and 1984 I came to expect that, but initially I was a bit dismayed that he no longer had the band that had played on the LP released just that year. His bands changed faster than anyone I have seen and his songwriting output kept a pretty steady pace as well. Not that we needed another song about groupies, but whatever.

11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

!? I went to an Aztec Two Step concert there as well, right when they first were heard of nationally. I was w my 18 year old girl friend and 4 of her same aged friends. The girls wanted to go back stage to meet the band. I tried, on behalf of the band, to school the young ladies on the " social norms" of going back to meet the band, but...let's just say A 2 S did not inspire the same female response as Led Zepplin. The concert was good tho since I knew 0 songs and had no expectations. Sorry guys I tried, Folk just aien t Hard Rock.

DonM likes this.
  12. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I used to know the bassist in a Megadeath tribute and they were hired as support to Megadeath to play just early material.

13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Ha! Yes, I remember Wire doing that. You either think it's the stuff of legends, or you think they are a-holes.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m in a snob obscure cover band where we always fight the main singer to include songs the audience knows vs songs the audience should know (if they had any musical taste at all). We say - “Let’s entertain them and not edutain them !”

It does not help that his favorite band is The Fall.

Wire.

Boring.

All reading off iPads on stands . No interaction with the audience, no smiles.

New younger guitarist was great though.

I think they think it’s 40 yrs ago and anyone cares/they still matter. :rolleyes:

15. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

wire!? kill me now,kill me now.....

16. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve seen Lyle Lovett twice and each time he was an album ahead of what he’d actually released.

Cheers,
    Geoff

17. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

The show you guys are talking about was April 23, 1988 at the Cleveland Agora

Here is the setlist...
    2A81BA7B-413B-4522-AC8D-0175B9BFE760.jpeg
    The song “Ten Men Workin’” played twice.

Hey Hey, My My was the only familiar song all night!

His album with the Blue Notes was released 11 days before the show and by the looks of things I was the only person that had gotten the album and new the songs. But it didn’t mater! When he got halfway through the opening song “Ten Men Workin” the place was going crazy!
    Just like the final concert in the Blues Brothers movie.

Here’s a couple of videos of the show, I’m standing at the front at the stage just to Neil’s right....

18. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, that has to be around the same time and that's the only time I remember them playing there. I saw a lot of great acts at the Celler Door. Also, I used to hang out at the bar across the street, The Apple Pie. Saw Stephen Stills and Neil Young there one night.

Teleterr likes this.
  19. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I once saw Pink Floyd, when the first half of the show was my introduction to 'Wish you were here'...…which was excellent. The second half was mainly 'Dark Side of the Moon', which I've never really cared for. I waited in vain, for earlier stuff...….

20. cyclopean

wire isn't my favorite. it's kind of dry. i'd rather take the delta five, gang of four, the pop group, a certain ratio, the mod-ettes, lou miami, kitchen and the plastics or a horde of other bands over them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.