Ever see a concert where the artist only played unreleased new material?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking wayyy back to 1980 or 81 about a Frank Zappa show I saw. I was really into Frank and had all of his recent releases. This being pre-CD, the early stuff was really hard to find on LP although I did eventually get almost everything. Anyway he played a 90 minute show as usual and I wasn't familiar with any of it until the encores where he did a couple of his most well known songs. I remember thinking "I'm never going to remember any of this" so I whipped out a piece of paper and scribbled down some lyrics as they went by.

I'm mostly reflecting on the mental processes involved.

a) If you go see someone you've never heard of, then you have to be open minded, you don't have any preconceived notions, and whatever happens, happens. Later you might think, "I really liked that one, what was it, la la la blah blah blah"... or "the guitar player was great/sucked" etc. But mostly you're just trying to figure out if you like what you're hearing well enough to buy a CD or something.

b) If you go see someone whose work you know, and they play a lot of familiar stuff, then you'll be thinking, "they did/didn't play my favorite tune" and "they did/didn't play it just like the recording" or "what happened to my favorite sideman".

c) If you go back in time and see Frank Zappa in 1981 when he was playing mostly unreleased stuff, you'll think "gah, what is this? what is he doing? what do I say about it later? help (I'm a rock)!"

Fretting out and LocoTex like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have never seen a concert where all the songs were new material.
    I have watched artists or bands concerts where I have not heard any of their songs before but still enjoyed it. What I find is that if I like it the first time then the more I go back and listen the more I get into the songs. Stuff that was just ok might end up being a favourite etc. Sometimes it takes many sittings. No good if there isn't a recording available.

3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Can't say I have. I've seen Einsturzende Neubauten do versions of songs that I only half recognised, this was back in 1984 or 85. The song would probably be the same, but the whole presentation, not so much. They use chainsaws, drills, metal pipes, sheets of corrugated iron, as well as the normal stuff like guitars etc. The other one would probably be Psychic TV, just variations of their material.

cyclopean and Digital Larry like this.
  4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I went to see a really popular band who had lots of hits this year. I had a recent concert Blu-Ray and was stoked. However, they spent the entire concert playing "deep cuts" and only played about two or three hits the audience knew. It was like being trapped in a perpetual "deleted scenes" section of a DVD. Folks, there's a reason those scenes were deleted: they were usually either subpar, off-point, or simply stupid! The same with these "deep cuts" - they went against the grain of the band. Where the band is known for tight arrangements with tight vocal harmonies these deep cuts were looser and had lots of soloing and didn't feature vocal harmony. By the end of the first hour the crowd was visibly disengaged. The band introduced a hit by apologetically saying, "Well here's one you know." After that song they went back into deep cuts and the audience began thinning out. Whenever the guitarist went into an extended solo I, a lead guitarist who solos and loves solos, pleaded, "Save it and the time for one of your GOOD songs!" By the last two cuts, both hits, they knew they'd lost us and tried to make something out of nothing. It was my first disappointing concert in fifty years of concert-going.

Bob

Digital Larry likes this.
  5. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I've seen a few bands/artists who played entire sets of new materials - Mansun (the band) certainly.

Been to see a few bands where the support act caught my eye and ended up loving them way more than the original band I went to see -

The Jezebels supporting Garbage
    Mew supporting Matin Grech
    Honeymoon Suite supporting Saga

6. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I saw Van Morrison once and, best as I remember it, he did none of his own songs and just did a set of blues covers. Worked well for me if not everyone else.
    Very hard for established artists to put new material in the set. I went to see Imelda May after the release of her last album and her set was almost entirely that. Polite audience response. Then for twenty minutes of stuff from her previous albums, cue huge audience response.
    I think a lot of people just don't know depth of catalogue. I saw a Queen tribute ( the official one, Queen Supreme or something) and most people in the audience only seemed to recognise the hits. They played most of Night at the Opera and obviously much of it went by unrecognised.

7. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There's possibly 2 layers to this:
    1) unreleased new material, noones heard,
    2) songs that you've never heard

I would think of these in the same context wrt the listener.

In the land down under we have "Wax Lyrical" shows in most regions, organised via "Aust Songwriters Assoc". All songs played have to be original. Nice way to meet like-minded people and see some musical variation.

I saw FZ & the Mothers play in Sydney. Most of the show was known songs, then he played one song "Redunzle". I was most awe-inspired by that song: watching FZ play live something I'd never heard before. Don't know if he ever recorded it.

When O/S I saw an Italian hard-rock band "Marlene Kuntz". They were playing songs the crowd knew (I think), but I had never heard.

Bottom line: there is something electric/inspiring about listening to music you enjoy but have never heard.

LocoTex and Digital Larry like this.
  8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

From the title, I thought of Frank.He d do it.

Way back in 70 ELP did a very well received unreleased yet Tarkus on the tour supporting the first album. But it was an amazing concert to start w... Song 1 everyone stood. Song 2 everyone stood on the seat. Song 3 everyone stood on the armrests w a hand on their neighbors shoulders and stayed there for the next 2 hours.

I will go to groups I ve only heard a song or 2 just to see if I like them, so that sometimes that's my situation , if not the audience's in general.

Heart, on their come back tour, played Baltimore first. The tour was so successful, they played it last as well as an add on.
    First "Theme Dreams", "How can I get you alone?" the audience sits stupifided.
    Last "Yea, our favorite songs".

I think outside groups can and should do it, but groups w hits are taking a chance in general, tho to me most songs I like, I like first hearing w a few exceptions.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    LocoTex and Digital Larry like this.
  9. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I saw Rodney Crowell heading a trio a few years ago and he basically did new songs.

It was ok, but I would have liked to hear some of his classics, too.

(I talked with him after the show and commented on finally meeting an "real country songwriter," a new experience for me. He looked at me like I put a curse on him!)

10. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Maybe you used the word "nice".
    Big mistake to ever tell an artist their song was nice.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Soundgarden opening for Neil Young in ‘92/‘93

An opening slot

Maybe 45 minutes

Only thing approaching a hit was Outshined from Badmotorfinger which was a couple years old

They did do tunes from that record but they also did a big chunk of that 45 minutes as a medley of bits and pieces of new tunes from Superunknown which they were still working on.

It was during that part where I realized how astounding they were. Every single one of them .

Heads down, bangin’ it out

telemnemonics and Digital Larry like this.
  12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I saw a Bob Dylan gig where everything was played and sung in a way it may as well have never been heard

kris ford, LocoTex, Toto'sDad and 4 others like this.
  13. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

My cover band played a gig Sunday where I managed to mangle several songs so badly that they were practically new songs by the time I was done. It was epic.

stevemc, LocoTex and Digital Larry like this.
  14. Grey_Melbourne

Grey_Melbourne TDPRI Member

I saw Guns 'n! Roses at Wembley Stadium in 1991 and half of the set was off the Use Your Illusions albums which weren't released for another 3 weeks. That's a good effort in front of 85k people!

15. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

Saw CSN in the 90’s where they played probably 80% obscure/new stuff and good lord did it suck. If the music wasn’t bad enough, Nash couldn’t stop making political statements between songs.

Worst concert I’ve ever seen.

Bassman8 and Digital Larry like this.
  16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking these artists may not have any top 100 hits and part of their appeal is in challenging/confounding the audience. Which is OK too!

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

I remember reading about Neil Young playing a concert where he only played tunes of his new album. Someone in the crowd kept shouting out that he should play something they'd heard before, so he when came out for an encore he said "OK, I'll play something you've heard before" and proceeded to play the same set again.

José, Bassman8, RoyalBaby and 7 others like this.
  18. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

I’ve had several Neil Young experiences like people have described.

Back in the mid-90s, I saw Rollins Band with their new bass player. Rollins prefaced the set by saying something like “Sammy Hagar has been with VH for 10 years but still has to sing Jump every night.” The band went on to play all the songs off of the record Weight, which was a major departure from previous albums. Not a great show

Same experience here, but that seems to be every Dylan show in the past 20+ years

LocoTex likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have, can't remember for sure which ones for sure though. I think one was Clapton. Maybe Lucinda Williams. And more. The release an album and tour to promote it. But sometimes it can be disappointing to the viewer. But they must get real tired of playing the same songs over and over that made them famous. A voice from the back yells out; "Freebird!" or "Mustang Sally"

20. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.