1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever rising prices of used MiM Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by groovezilla79, Jan 25, 2021.

1. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

But my ‘97 MIM standard has vintage mojo.....

50hz likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It needs one more year to accumulate enough vintage mojo. If it was a '96, then it would have achieved mojo-hood this year.

3. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Great news for my '96 MIM Strat! Then again, only the body, pickguard, and bridge are original.

4. PeteM1966

PeteM1966 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

So where's the best place to get a good read on prices? Sold items on ebay? Funny this thread has come up just now because I"m about to sell my MIM Nashville Tele.

5. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

If you are talking about used MIM guitars, keep in mind that Ebay & Reverb both raised their selling fees to over 5%, and I know people are adjusting their prices accordingly.

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

Not that I'm buying, but I look almost daily on various shop websites' used sections. I have noticed how much the amount of used stock available has been falling, so it makes sense that limited supply will push used prices up. Similar for new gear too I suppose, since anything I've been interested in is delivery in 'X' months rather than from stock.

I do wonder if there will be many (like me) planing on selling up some gear once we are able to move around more freely (since it's not possible under current UK rules)? If this happens there could be a quick bounce back to older prices. I'm making sure I'm ready to advertise as soon as collection in person will be allowed since I don't trust couriers and (I'm sorry) I don't trust that all buyers are honest.

7. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Another thing to consider is that more and more the operations at the Ensenada and Corona plants are integrated to a degree that exceeds many manufacturers who are all domestic only.

More than one dealer has said that these days they really don't consider MIM Fenders, Charvels, Jackson's etc to be "import" guitars at all.

So on one hand an MIM is more expensive now than before even accounting for inflation, on the other it's pushing the quality of an MIA from ten years ago. We make the distinction more or less based on a geopolitical line than on a manufacturing line. Vinteras I've played have been nicer than many Highway Ones or early Am Specials Fender put out.

8. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Go for a Squier Classic Vibe. Just as good build and, less money.

9. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

This thread got me intrigued so I took a look at craigslist, reviewing all the postings since Wednesday. The first thing I noticed was, not many Fenders at all of any description, and while prices on Fenders seem to be going up, prices on other guitars don't seem to be doing the same thing. At least, prices on Gibsons had gone up before the pandemic but they don't appear to be going up further now. And there were actually a lot of nice acoustics at quite good prices.

Here's what's available today on Chicago craigslist:*

2007 USA Strat, sunburst w/ case, including Line 6 Spider III 15 amp: $1200
    2014 American Professional Strat, olive w/case: $1100
    2007 MIM Nashville Tele, black w/ "upgraded" bridge (Babicz), pickups, tuners, pot, knobs: $550 w/bag; $625 w/case
    2008 USA Highway One HSS Strat, black w/bag, $800
    2015 American Standard Tele, crimson transparent/maple, upgraded pups w/case, $1050
    90s MIM Powerhouse Strat Deluxe, black, maybe w/case?: $750
    1985 MIJ ST562 Strat, oly white: $1349
    1995 MIM Squier Series Strat, black, $450
    2001 MIM HSS Strat, agave blue, upgraded pups, w/generic case: $600
    1993? MIJ Strat, sunburst/maple, blender pot wiring mod: $650

So, some moderately high asking prices, but some arguably decent deals. Not enough regular old MIMs to draw a conclusion. 9 Strats, 1 Tele, and 0 Fenders of other descriptions (no JM, Jag, Mustang, etc.). Nobody is selling an old standard MIM for close to or more than the price of a new Player Series ($699 at Sweetwater as I write this). That '01 MIM is fairly high at $600 but that is with a case, so factoring that it it's probably about 20% below new, which is a bit over the 1/4-1/3 off I'd expect for used vs. new. It probably also includes a premium for the pickups (Duncan bridge, Lace Sensor neck) but as many people have said, upgrades like that don't really add to the price of a used guitar. Also, Agave Blue is uncommon and has its fans.

I can't help but wonder if maybe MIM guitars are still trading at decent prices but they are selling very quickly so unless you watch the market all the time you don't see them. Most people motivated to sell a guitar are probably not interested in keeping it on the market for weeks or months in hopes of extracting every possible nickel from it. (Some are, of course.) And demand is high, apparently.

*This is based on postings for the last couple days. There are no doubt lots of other guitars including Fenders on CL but these were culled from approximately a thousand listings, so I figure that's representative.

10. Laphillyboy

Laphillyboy TDPRI Member

I think the 2005 - 2012 era MIM Classic Series 50';s and 60;s Strats were some of the best sub $500 guitars to hit the market. I had aClassic 50's for several years and that was an all around great vintage spec guitar.

11. JSTorres

JSTorres TDPRI Member

For what it is worth, I just bought a used 2015 MIM Tele in January via Craigslist in San Francisco for $475. I thought it may have been a bit high but the guitar looked like it was new out of the box and I have been very happy with it. No regrets. If you are like me, I search for Telecasters on Craigslist just about every other day just for the fun of it and I really haven't found anything as nice for a lower price. Demand is up and supply is down. Last week I went to my local mom and pop music store to buy a Fender Pro Junior IV amp and although they are a Fender dealer, the computer said that Fender wouldn't be able to deliver the amp to them until mid-July at the earliest. The pandemic this past year has given a number of people more time at home to either start playing guitar or to practice.

12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Haven't we had this tired conversation a million times before? I remember when gas was 32 cents a gallon and a nice one bedroom apt. rented for $150-200, and a new VW was $1800. But, the minimum wage was also $2. The problem we're facing is that wages haven't been increasing in line with prices since the 70s, and more and more of the income goes to the top 1-10%. In an economy where 70% of it is based on consumer spending that doesn't work, and instead of giving us a decent wage, the corporate overlords would rather satisfy us with cheaper and cheaper Chinese goods, so they can continue to get their massive salaries, bonuses, and stock options. The sad thing is that they're so stupid that they don't realize that if they shared the wealth more with workers, the economy would flourish and they'd be even richer. But, they're so greedy that they can't see that past the dollar signs in their eyes. Sorry for deflecting the point of this thread.
    The reality is that as the price of an item new increases, then the price of a used one also increases. When a new MIM Standard was $600, a used one was $3-400. Now that they're $7-800, a used one is $5-600. That's the way it works.
    Otherwise, used MIA Standards would be $400, 'cause they were originally $600 new.

wblynch likes this.
  13. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Wait 40 years. Guys will be saying.." I have a 'vintage' Mexican tele 2015 model."

"Its a 'player-grade' refinish so its only $250,000 (Which is like $1000 in 2021). Not a bad deal". Lol

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.