1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever rising prices of used MiM Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by groovezilla79, Jan 25, 2021.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite MIM color of all time. I bought my '04 Strat specifically for that color. Still have it. $380.00 plus tax, in late 2005. Glad it made a comeback in the past few years. I snagged one of the Jaguar Bass bodies from The Stratosphere. Put a P Bass neck on it.

2. itskohler

itskohler TDPRI Member

It's certainly unique! I showed the Miss pictures of it before I got it, then when it came she was disappointed. I almost ended it right then and there. I've been trying to find a strat to go with it.

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I might think about selling mine some day, but you probably wouldn't want it. It has a major chip on the forearm contour, and I have sanded back the gloss finish on the body, so it is semi-gloss. I also shined up the originally matte neck finish, which most people don't like (they prefer matte).

4. itskohler

itskohler TDPRI Member

I lost my first sage green tele, and I'll never sell this one haha. My next purchase will likely be a hollow body kit.

5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I think it's not just MIM teles, but all guitars in that "decent, not MIC but nothing crazy" price range - people are at home, bored, always wanted to play guitar, don't want to cheap out because you get what you pay for and so on, but not sure the hobby will stick. You used to be able to get a used PRS SE for $300 easily if you looked around (I had one I paid $200 for) and an Epi for the same. Not anymore, at least in my neck of the woods.

The flip side is that people are buying pedals for $500 each now, so that makes $500 for a mid-level import guitar look pretty cheap.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah.

The question is, what happens next? Is this a trend that's just started, that will continue along similar lines until no North American guitar can be found for under $ 1,100? Do people, when cut off from one another and in an echo-chamber as to what constitutes a quality guitar and what actually IS an electric guitar for, keep assuming these once affordable MIMs and other guitars in that range are in short supply and so you've just got to buy what's offered, any price you have to pay.

I remember in 2006, when guitars were offered used, on E-bay for more money than the same instrument cost, new, in a competent dealer's shop. I didn't think that was sustainable then and at least in terms of used prices, it wasn't. Prices collapsed. And this will happen again. My opinion is, there's a huge cache of instruments being held out of commerce until the seller feels he can engage in selling it without getting stiffed or getting exposed to an illness. Once these folks can come out from hiding, the oversupply is going to stun some people.

7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

8. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

In that case, here is my hunch. I think that it boils down to a revenue situation for Fender. I think that their top end models are not selling as much as they have in the past so they are now focusing on the tier that is probably selling the most. MIM is most likely that tier, so they are boosting those prices so that they can keep the revenue flowing in order to keep the company in the black. Manufacturing companies have to keep manufacturing product to stay in business. Covid 19 and Guitar Center's bankruptcy can't be helping either. They have raised their prices on their pickups, parts as well.

sax4blues likes this.
  9. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Really though only the Player series are reasonably priced and they’re already $700, without even a gig bag for protection.

The other MIM Telecasters jump to $825 and go up to $1400 now. That’s quite an overlap with the lowest range MIA Teles.

It’s madness, I tells ya.

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

Timely thread for me. Only last night I was debating what to do with some of my guitars including my Classic 50s Lacquer Tele. I bought it used about 5-6 years ago and it's still pretty much spotless. I did swap the pickups for some Fender Original Vintage ones I had in a Squier Tele.

Being honest with myself I'm not using it and my Esquire bridge pickup sounds better and more varied (it's a tapped pickup) and I prefer the fatter neck on the Esquire. I think I'll put a neck pick up on it and then sell the Classic 50s.

A quick look last night on Reverb and eBay seems to indicate £500 might not be unreasonable, so that's a fair bit cheaper than new equivalents such as Vinera series (though I think they only do road worn in nitro?).

That means I won't have lost anything on it, maybe even be a few £ss up on it. That's rare for me and the Gretsch that I'm also thinking of selling will cancel out any gain many times over. I paid £850 for that one as the prices were jumping up at the time. They've since come down to around £650 for an equivalent model, so I'll be lucky to get £450 even if I include a hardcase I bought for over £100.

11. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Agreed and I buy and sell a LOT.

12. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

This inflation was starting pre-pandemic but seems to have gone off the rails since.

A quick sweep of Houston CL has stock MIM fenders with asking prices of $550 to $800. This $800 listing is a stock 2003 Strat.

https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d/spring-fender-mexican-strat-17-years-old/7268173843.html

Good for you if you get even $500 on your 2003 Strat I guess. Enjoy the bubble while it lasts.

I’m glad I’m not in the market for anything right now. The last MIM I bought was a used but mint FSR ash jazz bass for $375 from GC about 2 years ago.

13. danzigdan

danzigdan TDPRI Member

It’s supply and demand. If you look at GC right now they have about 3200 used guitars. I remember a year ago or so it was like 5500, and 7000+ before that. My local GC is almost empty.

In regard to Teles, IMO you don’t see that many locally. And when you do they get snapped up pretty quickly. If they are nice and well priced I try to buy them.

14. roachmon

roachmon TDPRI Member

Almost a year ago I bought a 02 MIM Strat for $550 Canadian. Great neck! I’ve been looking for a MIM Tele to go along with it. I couldn’t talk anyone down to $750 for the same era tele! I’m grabbing a 95 MIJ Candy Apple Red w/Rosewood and case for $900. More than I want to spend obviously but to me the quality of those MIJ’s outshines MIM so it’s worth it(to me). Point is $550-$600 for a solid MIM was possible a short time ago. Now? Good luck to ya. Sell now boys

15. Thorne

Thorne TDPRI Member

It’s not just Fender, or guitars but musical gear in general. On eBay and Reverb people are asking absurd prices. I’ve lost track of the times I’ve seen something priced at close to new prices. By the time you add on shipping it’s cheaper to buy new! I’m so sick of people advertising run of the mill gear as ‘rare’ or ‘pre lawsuit’ or ‘Made in Japan’ etc too.

There was a guy on Facebook yesterday selling a left handed LTD Gary Holt Signature model. He was asking $2K for it. When people pointed out you could get an Eii for less his only comeback was that ‘that’s what other people are asking’. Sheeple?

What’s worse is when buyers bid items up to more than it costs new. What the H is that all about?

16. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

Mim prices have gone up and I do not see the trend with the used market hitting a plateau or falling because the new models I have seen are even higher. I own a BSB special edition Mim telecaster ( My avatar) his name is “Pancho” and he’s (to me) the best telecaster I have ever played, so much so that I sold my American and I do not regret it. I will purchase another American soon though just have not made up my mind on which one.....I do like the broadcaster.....but that new Chrissie Hynde Mim built is nice....but once again the price is up up up and rising.

17. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

I've said it before: we're living in the gilded age of affordable guitars. There are incredible values coming out of the Asian factories. They've all but perfected manufacturing with CNC and quality control has improved exponentially.

Re: supply and demand, this new wave of quality coming out of Asia has cut into MIM sales. Fender knows there will always be people willing to pay a premium to have "Fender" on the headstock, and they've priced them accordingly.

18. Buddhablue

Buddhablue TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

There are a few of the popular YouTube guitar guys who have been talking up the quality and value of the MIM telecaster.

Also, I've seen that higher priced used guitars were a big thing in the last year.

This would elevate the "next step down" to the market.

I do know that in the last couple of years, I have purchased four or five MIM teles

19. boris bubbanov

I knew something was up, when you were posting more recently, and the price you were paying was much more than you'd have been willing to pay 4 years ago.

By comparison, some of this other buying and selling is "anecdotal" where one guy is paying $ 650 and another $ 1,100, for the same guitar. Same week, just 2 states over.

20. boris bubbanov

We can thank the contractors that delivered these nice Classic Vibes, 13 years ago. This shook up the consumer, and consequently thereafter FMIC ordered evident improvements to the MIMs being shipped.

So, I would remind the reader that FMIC has steadily improved these MIMs, and a 2003 MIM that was subpar in 2005, will still be subpar today. Folks should be careful not to pay too much for MIMs before, say, 2006.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.