1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ever rising prices of used MiM Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by groovezilla79, Jan 25, 2021.

1. groovezilla79

groovezilla79 TDPRI Member

Is it just me or does it seem like the prices of some used MiM's just keep going up for no reason?

For example, I have a Classic Series 60's Tele that I bought some years back as a demo for around $740. (They were usually priced at $824 IIRC) I thought I may like to get a Classic Series 50's Tele to make sort of a "set", but quickly found they are listed on Reverb/eBay for close to and sometimes way over their original new selling price. Some even close to $1k, with the Baja's are going even higher than that.

Are they really getting that kind of $$ for these units?
    Is this the trend across other MiM models?

Seems crazy, even adjusting for inflation. For that kind of money I'd think you could easily find a nice American example.

Terrygh1949, Marc Morfei and mojek like this.
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

All used MIM teles are listed high currently. It's a thing. Whether or not people are getting or paying as much is another thing. All I know is I'm holding on to my '99 standard. Still not worth enough to replace it with a newer one. But maybe that time is not so far off(?).

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Reason: supply and demand.

Piggy Stu, Boreas and mojek like this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

s/used\ MiM\ Teles/everything

5. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Mexican Mojo.

Maguchi, OngoGablogian, drewg and 2 others like this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

When I first started selling MIM Std guitars at a dealer, they were $199 all day every day. I remember the first time, several years later, I saw one for $399. I thought “who in the world would pay $400 for that guitar?”. But people did. And not just a few. Nowadays there are many MIM options selling for north of $1k. I don’t get it, but hey. To each their own.

I’ve always said stuff is only worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. Apparently people are willing to pay a lot for these.

SRHmusic, Asmith and donrichfan like this.
  7. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

It's whenever they rename a line of guitars and jack up the price the price of used guitars with the old naming scheme go up too. Annoying, ain't it?

Obsessed and nicknklv like this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I paid $210 for my 1973 Strat in 1988. I can't get one for at that price now. What's the deal with that?

Maguchi, Sporqueman, andrewr and 7 others like this.
  9. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I think this is happening with all used (notable) guitars. A year ago you could get a MIA fender for $700 pretty easily, and American Standards are pushing $900+ at the bottom end these days.

nicknklv likes this.
  10. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

I was just talking to a buddy about this last night. When I get bored with guitar I usually buy a couple of new ones and I'm interested again. Well a week or so ago I decided to see what I could find on the used part of Guitar Center website and the first thing I noticed was not only did Fender have a bunch of guitars with weird names that I've never heard of listed now but also used MIM standard Strats I was looking for were listed around $500. Hell i paid in the ballpark of $600 for my used 2011 American standard in 2014 with the plastic and stickers still on it. Over the past 10-15yrs I've bought probably 20 used mim strats and never paid over $425 most were $300-$350.

11. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

maaaaaaybe forums like this one have an effect on it (atleast among the states and maybe uk). not necessarily just this one, but forums in general, and there are many. this particular forum is on the front google page if you google "guitar forum". how many people haven't joined, but read suggestions on first guitars? you have to ask yourself these questions....

most of the time someone comes here and asks what first guitar and amp to buy and they have south of $1k, they are recommended an MIM tele or strat. I'd have to say 100% of the time it's mentioned and more often than not it is suggested many times. those guitars have built (atleast to my eyes) a reputation for being among the best guitars for the price (whatever that may be at the time). so people desire them and the price goes up. I can only imagine that fender lovers on other sites suggest the same.

pair that with the fact that was mentioned above wherein fender puts out new versions every so often, changes the name and jacks the price up higher. people still recommend MIM to many people and those that buy have to pay a higher price.

dr_tom likes this.
  12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Asking prices on mediocre, cookie cutter stuff are idiotic right now. I still don't believe that people are getting what they're asking, though. I can believe in the used market keeping up with inflation, but I can't believe in actual appreciation of the relative value of low-to-mid-level instruments that were made by the bazillions. My experience as a buyer in the past few years has been that actual selling prices are very reasonable, quite often real scores – not that it's a seller's market, as asking prices might have us believe.

Marblatx, boris bubbanov and Boreas like this.
  13. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I bought my 1st "Tele" in 1992--a black MIM with a really pale maple neck. I gigged it 3 or 4 years and traded it for a beat-to-$%!7 Ric 330 somethingrather. Or maybe it was an amp, don't remember exactly. I remember it being a really great guitar... wish I could remember how much it cost me back then.

14. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

When I walked into my usual Music Store, The Music Gallery in Highwood, IL, in late 1993 to buy a new guitar they had a MIM Strat for $449 and MIM Tele for $399. So, to save $50 I bought the Tele and have been thankful ever since. I still own it and still love it. All of it has been upgraded by this point besides the tuners and knobs.

15. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

Here the used MIM Standards are in the £400 range. It doesn't seem that long ago you could pick them up for £250.

Shame really as I have a bit of a soft spot for the older Standards but not that much.

16. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Apparently they hold their value like a Toyota pickup, so just buy new. Easy peasy :D

Next question!

17. groovezilla79

Some good insights/opinions here. I may attempt to strike while the iron's hot and put mine up for sale on Reverb just to see what kind of offers I get. ;)

18. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

Which MIM are we talking about? The ones from the early to mid 1990's or the more recent ones? If we are talking about the early 1990's, then you are better off going Chinese or Indonesian in my opinion. Those guitars are still worth only $300 to $350.00 tops. They were ok, but nothing special.

19. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

The market is buying up guitars and that drives the prices up on the more popular options. Its not just MIM Teles that have gone up it the last year or so.

Maguchi and Boreas like this.
  20. groovezilla79

As stated in my original post, I'm talking specifically about my Classic Series 60's tele. It's a 2015-2016ish.... some of the last with Rosewood before they switched to Pao Ferro.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.